Converting a Humidor to a Case (1 Viewer)

Skeeter

Two Pair
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right thread or not, but I'm thinking of converting one of my humidors into a case for my chips. Has anyone done this or seen it done? Any tips aside from making sure it is secure and the chips are safe?

Following this thread. Im interested too.

Not sure if this is the right thread or not, but I'm thinking of converting one of my humidors into a case for my chips. Has anyone done this or seen it done? Any tips aside from making sure it is secure and the chips are safe?

Would depend on the humidor - are you talking about a small desktop unit or a big cabinet style humidor? Pics?

The cabinet ones look great but are expensive ($100s), even the smaller ones. I have a small portable one at home. Once I get my trays, Im going to see how they fit. These are like $10. That wooden divider is removable.

s-l1000.jpg

Would depend on the humidor - are you talking about a small desktop unit or a big cabinet style humidor? Pics?
I can post pics tonight. It is a medium desktop that holds roughly 150-200 cigars (depending on size). Has a top tray that is removable.

I would be careful with the weight of the chips on the trays. They weren't designed to carry 100 X 10grams = 2.2 lbs / rack

I would be careful with the weight of the chips on the trays. They weren't designed to carry 100 X 10grams = 2.2 lbs / rack
Solid point. This is still just an idea, so I haven't done anything yet.

I can post pics tonight. It is a medium desktop that holds roughly 150-200 cigars (depending on size). Has a top tray that is removable.

For a small desktop humidor like that, you should be OK if you take out the top removable tray and just stack chip racks in there (assuming they fit). Usually there is some spanish cedar lining that fits snugly inside of the humidor but isn't attached, you may be able to remove the lining and get another 1/2" or so of room. The locks on these things aren't the greatest, they're OK for keeping little kids out of your cigars but I wouldn't call it "secure" by any means. Plus being that small, it's easy to just pick up the humidor and walk off with it and break the lock later.

Last edited:
221.JPG 215.JPG 227.JPG
I have not done a true humidor, but I have done several Gurkha cigar boxes. This is just one, I will post pics of some others later.
This racks were custom built by Oz Woodworking, I have some built by Eric from Big Slik Poker Tables, and I have some built by a friend in Maryland.

I'm in the process of having 3 more done.

These go for $100 on Amazon. I wonder if 2 trays will fit in there side by side. 13" W x 11-1/4" D x 19-1/4" H

mlno_3.jpg

Sounds like a cool idea. I would recommend custom wood chips holders to compliment the wood box humidor case though.

..... Now where are you going to store your cigars though(n) :thumbsdown::unsure:

Sounds like a cool idea. I would recommend custom wood chips holders to compliment the wood box humidor case though.

..... Now where are you going to store your cigars though(n) :thumbsdown::unsure:
That's where I have an issue. Might have to buy a new one.

@CraigT78 I believe made a sweet one out of a wine fridge and then built it into his wall.
I sure did! I ran out of space and had a mold outbreak in one of my wooden humidors, so I invested in a Newaire wine fridge and got custom shelves done from wineadors.com Forrest is a master at working with Spanish cedar.

s684782447289377954_p23_i1_w240.jpeg

20160421_233608.jpg

20160421_233702.jpg

For a small desktop humidor like that, you should be OK if you take out the top removable tray and just stack chip racks in there (assuming they fit). Usually there is some spanish cedar lining that fits snugly inside of the humidor but isn't attached, you may be able to remove the lining and get another 1/2" or so of room. The locks on these things aren't the greatest, they're OK for keeping little kids out of your cigars but I wouldn't call it "secure" by any means. Plus being that small, it's easy to just pick up the humidor and walk off with it and break the lock later.
Here are some pics of it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 126
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 126
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 118
Doesn't look like that one has the extra cedar lining, but everything else I mentioned above holds. Looks like you could fit 400 chips, maybe 600.

Doesn't look like that one has the extra cedar lining, but everything else I mentioned above holds. Looks like you could fit 400 chips, maybe 600.
My first batch is 400, so that will work well. My concern is with the racks. Need them to fit.

Has anyone done this yet? I'm starting to second guess myself on if I want to take away a perfectly good humidor. Might come in handy during some games if someone, aside from me, wants to smoke a cigar during a game.

I did this forever ago. It was one of the 150-200 cigar humidors with the removable tray. I abandon the task and filled it with actual cigars because it was very apparent that the bottom would not support the weight of the chips. If you were to never move the unit it would be pretty cool, but it's not a practical solution. The humidor I had fit 800 chips, in racks very nicely.

I did this forever ago. It was one of the 150-200 cigar humidors with the removable tray. I abandon the task and filled it with actual cigars because it was very apparent that the bottom would not support the weight of the chips. If you were to never move the unit it would be pretty cool, but it's not a practical solution. The humidor I had fit 800 chips, in racks very nicely.
That's good to know. That was one of my biggest concerns as there would be a potential to move them to another game if necessary. Rather not destroy the humidor if possible.

View attachment 42546 View attachment 42547 View attachment 42548
I have not done a true humidor, but I have done several Gurkha cigar boxes. This is just one, I will post pics of some others later.
This racks were custom built by Oz Woodworking, I have some built by Eric from Big Slik Poker Tables, and I have some built by a friend in Maryland.

I'm in the process of having 3 more done.
This whole case is perfection. If I had that setup I think I'd give up chipping and call it good.

No way I could give up any of my humidors to store chipes. I like both, but cigars more (blasphemy I know). Anyway, at what humidity do Paulson's stay minty best or can they actually improve their mintiness with time in a humidor?

No way I could give up any of my humidors to store chipes. I like both, but cigars more (blasphemy I know). Anyway, at what humidity do Paulson's stay minty best or can they actually improve their mintiness with time in a humidor?
Boveda Humidity packs for chips. You sir are a genius!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom