Controversial Chip & Poker Opinions (8 Viewers)

i-got-a-rock-charlie-brown-prints.jpg

Mystery box sales/auctions are no different than raffles and should be banned. Someone needs to protect PCF degens from themselves.

Scenario:
- take 10 SFRBs, fill 1 with super duper chips, fill 9 with rocks
- list all 10 boxes for auction/sale
- buying one of the SFRBs is no different than buying a raffle ticket

Hmmmm..... maybe that's the way to bring raffles back?
This is completely ridiculous. Can we find a way to make it double board boxes of rocks somehow?

While we are debating the sale of live chips for more than face value and new guidelines... how about one we have already?

Note, I don't care either way. I'm a free-market dude and I'm not in the market for chips priced like they are made of Superman's chest hair.

View attachment 1198775
I’m just catching up. Not sure if there’s been discussion of this elsewhere. But it might be relevant that one of PCF’s bigger scammer scandals was a guy who was harvesting. He ended up taking a lot of people for a lot of money. Maybe that extra requirement was triggered by that guy?

Mystery box sales/auctions are no different than raffles and should be banned. Someone needs to protect PCF degens from themselves.

Scenario:
- take 10 SFRBs, fill 1 with super duper chips, fill 9 with rocks
- list all 10 boxes for auction/sale
- buying one of the SFRBs is no different than buying a raffle ticket

Hmmmm..... maybe that's the way to bring raffles back?
This thread sat dormant for almost 2 months. Don't think I've ever seen it sit for that long...

1701908060121.png

This thread sat dormant for almost 2 months. Don't think I've ever seen it sit for that long...

View attachment 1235760
And I was awol for two months. Coincidence? I think not! Because I can’t resist coming in here and ranting. Like this:

I come back after two months and see 1) there are even more Tina molds, including a couple of hybrids, and 2) CPC is hard up for orders.
You cheap China chip pushers are killing the one company that will make real chips for us!

And I was awol for two months. Coincidence? I think not! Because I can’t resist coming in here and ranting. Like this:

I come back after two months and see 1) there are even more Tina molds, including a couple of hybrids, and 2) CPC is hard up for orders.
You cheap China chip pushers are killing the one company that will make real chips for us!
I 've ordered and paid something like 3,600 chips from CPC in four sets.
I appreciate enormously -and actually love- the CPC business and customer service offerred by @David Spragg :hearts:

Since the Ancient Greek Meander pattern (mold) has been the victim of internal US business politics, I could only order a set on that mold from China.
Money would NOT have been the issue if that mold were available in "American Clay"

How many chips have you ordered from CPC dear Rob @upNdown ?
Ha! Fair question I suppose. The answer is zero sets. Though I came very close last year - ordered color samples, mold samples, even hired an artist.
But to be fair, I really only own one set of chips.
Someday I’ll finally order that custom set. If CPC is still around.

I really love the CPC chips I’ve gotten the chance to play with, but for what it’s worth, the two Tina sets I have combined don’t even add up in price to a CPC set of half the size. I hope to own CPC sets in the future (I sure have sat and designed plenty), but the fact is they’re definitely a luxury good within a luxury hobby, and price point just is what it is.

I really love the CPC chips I’ve gotten the chance to play with, but for what it’s worth, the two Tina sets I have combined don’t even add up in price to a CPC set of half the size. I hope to own CPC sets in the future (I sure have sat and designed plenty), but the fact is they’re definitely a luxury good within a luxury hobby, and price point just is what it is.
True, but still HURRY!

Tina and CPC almost don't exist in the same world.

I will say CPCs are great, that's why I own them, but for a many folks to jump in that end of the pool seems crazy, both in terms of cost and time. Tina allows a very nice entry for folks. Hell BR Pro is good for that too.

I own both.

You did remind me I should probably do another CPC add on since I think CSQ is coming down the pipe line first part of next year.

I think the arrival of Tina-source ceramics is the death knell for all CC chips. Same price point but fully customizable? If I was at the beginning of my chip journey, I would have undoubtedly gotten some.
I don't think anyone really manufactures the CC chips anymore. Personally, I'd rather have the CC than the ceramics. (and I have 4000+ card mold chips that will most likely never be used again)

I think the arrival of Tina-source ceramics is the death knell for all CC chips. Same price point but fully customizable? If I was at the beginning of my chip journey, I would have undoubtedly gotten some.
I'm at 20 sets (but paring down) and I'm still thinking of a cheaper set to bring places that I wouldn't mind banging up a little.

Last edited:
I have 3 sets of ASM/CPC chips. I did order a large set of New Greek Key chips and love them too. I’ll likely do an add on to my clay set by the end of 2024 if things go well for me. I’m however a fan of both.

I don't think anyone really manufactures the CC chips anymore.
Is this based on industry knowledge?

For the most part, I prefer my CC set from Apache, but the Greek Hybrid JusTina came up with is outstanding.

That said, the folks on this site often make no distinction between the plastic sluggos and something like the Majestics that Apache offers. Then when it comes to Royals, accepted wisdom is disregarded because the Royals are 43mm or they look cooler or… whatever.

The truth is, the products I mentioned from Apache feel different, and sound different that some of the popular sluggos like Poker Knights.

Not arguing their future or comparing them to Paulsons, but I would hate to see them go away.

I would, however, like some edge spot flexibility in the CC arena.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom