Controversial Chip & Poker Opinions (26 Viewers)

I’ve been waffling on this for a while, but I now think the best starting amount for the small blind chip is a barrel. If using fracs, some prefer 12, but a barrel is just easier all around.

Now, here’s where it may get more controversial. A barrel is the perfect amount for your small blind chip AND your workhorse chip. I haven’t noticed an appreciable difference when I start people off with 20x $1 and 36x $5 versus 20x $1, 20x $5, and 4x $20.

I used to think 100/200/400/200/100 was the “ideal” breakdown for a single table cash game set, but now I think it’s 200/200/200/200/100

I’m not going to shit in the man’s sales thread, but here’s a thought that came to mind.
2F7284F8-562B-446D-BA6B-234DC99F3D8B.gif

I’ve been waffling on this for a while, but I now think the best starting amount for the small blind chip is a barrel. If using fracs, some prefer 12, but a barrel is just easier all around.

Now, here’s where it may get more controversial. A barrel is the perfect amount for your small blind chip AND your workhorse chip. I haven’t noticed an appreciable difference when I start people off with 20x $1 and 36x $5 versus 20x $1, 20x $5, and 4x $20.
I don't think this is controversial at all. I've been banking this way for years.

However, I don't give every player a barrel of blind chips. I just sell barrels until I have enough on the table, then I stop.

I'm pretty sure that Robbi is just a fish and not a cheater.

This is apparently the most controversial poker opinion I've held in a very long time.

That's way, way beyond a fish call though. I've played millions of hands of poker in my life. Never once have I seen a call like that. The closest I've ever seen was when I myself called someone down with J high, but I had JT on a 78 board and I was as confident as I could be that we were both going for the straight and missed (I was right, and I won the pot). But this hand with Robbi is immeasurably worse than that. There are only two ways sometimes makes that call. 1) they're cheating, or 2) they have no clue whatsoever how the game is played and their actions are completely random. Robbi is supposedly trying to be a winning player, studying the game and playing for private coaching. I don't know if she cheated, but I'd sure as shit take any bet at almost any price if someone thinks she didn't and wants to bet on it.

That's way, way beyond a fish call though. I've played millions of hands of poker in my life. Never once have I seen a call like that. The closest I've ever seen was when I myself called someone down with J high, but I had JT on a 78 board and I was as confident as I could be that we were both going for the straight and missed (I was right, and I won the pot). But this hand with Robbi is immeasurably worse than that. There are only two ways sometimes makes that call. 1) they're cheating, or 2) they have no clue whatsoever how the game is played and their actions are completely random. Robbi is supposedly trying to be a winning player, studying the game and playing for private coaching. I don't know if she cheated, but I'd sure as shit take any bet at almost any price if someone thinks she didn't and wants to bet on it.
I was half-joking, trying to keep it light in this thread.

I've given a more detailed explanation of my thoughts in the HCL thread and the thread devoted to this incident.

Maybe you haven't seen it because it will pretty much never win, and whoever makes a bad call like that will be too embarrassed to show the loosing hand.

These two scenarios are not even remotely similar. Seidel's call here is a typical J high hero call (these don't happen often, but they do happen, and this is the type of board you see them on). But the Robbi hand would be like Seidel calling down here with 9 high on this board, rather than Jack high. Board texture matters here.

These two scenarios are not even remotely similar. Seidel's call here is a typical J high hero call (these don't happen often, but they do happen, and this is the type of board you see them on). But the Robbi hand would be like Seidel calling down here with 9 high on this board, rather than Jack high. Board texture matters here.
I do agree with you that it's a bad spot Travis. But my take on it is that she simply didn't realize that it was. She was too hung up on her "hunch" that he was bluffing or on a draw. And I think the fact that she says immediately afterwards "I thought you had ace high" suggests a couple of things. (Assuming that is an honest comment, but it felt like it in the moment imo) I've seen this kind of logic in new-ish players, but then kinda forgetting their own hand somewhat.

1) She don't think about garretts hand/range in an advanced way. She simply has a feel he us weak/on a draw, and decides to call the bluff. (Obviously flawed logic and a bad play, but possible.)

2) When Garrett follows up with a sarcastic "you thought I had A high, so you call with J high" she understands what she has done, and is immediately super embarrassed and starts looking for a way to save face. - hence the change in stories. I misread the hand. (Seems suspect after the fact, but I think it's more likely just a way to save face).

To be honest what makes this play so confusing to me is that it is so horrible no matter if she is cheating or not.

If it's legit, it's just such a bad play. She is loosing to so many of the bluffs and semibluffs, and 87/86cc or 8x7x going crazy are pretty much the only couple of hands she ever beats.

If its a cheating operation, it's such a bad spot because she has to be thinking about how this will look. If a person is to cheat in a streamed game like this (especially post Postle), discretion should be the number one priority. I can't get my head around how someone could do that.

Both options are beyond absurd, but I lean towards legit brainfart herocall.

Controversial - If you say you are selling something "as purchased from the Chip room sale, selling at cost including shipping", a figure $300+ over TCR's posted prices seems a bit "off", even w/ shipping. Unless I can't maths good.

This. Just 40+% off. A rounding error really :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Controversial opinion:
selling something "as purchased from the Chip room sale, selling at cost including shipping"
Is still bullshit even if you're truthful about shipping costs. Have you stopped to think about how many times some racks here have changed hands over the past 10-15 years? 5-10 times easily for many of them. Even if you're not trying to make a profit, you to tack on an extra $10 to cover what you paid in shipping, and the next guy does the same and the next guy does the same, suddenly a $200 rack is a $300 rack, even before all the profiteers have tried to profit their profits.

Isn't it enough that you can get full price back for something you bought and used? Where else can you do that?
Don't be a dink - eat your shipping costs.

This. Just 40+% off. A rounding error really :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
Controversial opinion:

Is still bullshit even if you're truthful about shipping costs. Have you stopped to think about how many times some racks here have changed hands over the past 10-15 years? 5-10 times easily for many of them. Even if you're not trying to make a profit, you to tack on an extra $10 to cover what you paid in shipping, and the next guy does the same and the next guy does the same, suddenly a $200 rack is a $300 rack, even before all the profiteers have tried to profit their profits.

Isn't it enough that you can get full price back for something you bought and used? Where else can you do that?
Don't be a dink - eat your shipping costs.

Not that I disagree with you, but there's a huge difference between passing on a little shipping cost and being straight up deceptive/unethical (said with the assumption the ~40% rounding error wasn't a simple mistake) in your sale posting.

Controversial - If you say you are selling something "as purchased from the Chip room sale, selling at cost including shipping", a figure $300+ over TCR's posted prices seems a bit "off", even w/ shipping. Unless I can't maths good.

Yeah, your math is just a bit off. Check out shipping prices to Germany and back. Let me know what you find. Cheers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom