Community Feedback - Posting private messages (3 Viewers)

Posting private messages on the forum. Should this be allowed?

• YES

Votes: 137 54.6%
  • NO

Votes: 114 45.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So all of the rationale for posting a PM publicly seems to stem from the idea of protecting one's reputation about a deal going bad or something to that effect.

How many times has that actually happened in the history of PCF?

Can anyone please provide concrete examples where it was actually necessary to post a PM?

Or are people just arguing about hypotheticals?

I don't care to search right now, but I remember at least a few threads "outing" deals that have gone bad.

So all of the rationale for posting a PM publicly seems to stem from the idea of protecting one's reputation about a deal going bad or something to that effect.

How many times has that actually happened in the history of PCF?

Can anyone please provide concrete examples where it was actually necessary to post a PM?

Or are people just arguing about hypotheticals?
The only time I can recall someone sharing PMs is to shed light on a deal that is openly being discussed. I don’t have examples or would I know where to look but I have no memory of anyone sharing PMs just to openly bash someone.

Should only be allowed for trades/sales/etc gone bad. Otherwise, it should be "ban-worthy" to post everyday messages.

The Victim: "Ahhh bro, my woman just divorced me because I bought another grail set."
-
The Clout Chaser:
"Lol caught in 4k watch me" *posts it* *proceeds to gain lots of attention while the other fella is trying to sell off his investments*

How's this for an out of the box solution?

Get rid of the entire classified section. No sales on this forum except vendors.

Wouldn't that get rid of any need to post PMs?

Voting "NO" also seems to be about respect for keeping secrets.
Here is how I see the difference between the two.
  • PCF came online in 2013.
  • It has been permitted to post anything that did not violate the Terms of Service.
  • To this day, there have been no known postings of "private messages", except in cases where a transaction has gone bad. Those PMs only revealed the terms of the agreement.
So the only reason I can see to vote no, is to maintain your reputation while you renege on a transaction. To renege on a deal is disrespectful to the other party.

So the only reason I can see to vote no, is to maintain your reputation while you renege on a transaction. To renege on a deal is disrespectful to the other party.
While I think we agree that transaction issues are one area where it would make sense to permit outing private messages, this line of thinking just frightens me. You are making a value judgement for everyone that all messages are public domain at all times. (And @MatthewTreeTree certainly provided a good example of when such a policy is troublesome.) I appreciate in other posts you have expressed your willingness to use discretion, and I think voting no indicates recognition that there must be at least some discretion before we have a blanket policy that outing PMs is AOK, which I think is the logical interpretation of the "yes" answer to the question as stated.

Except that this thread is part of the other 50%.
Exactly.

It's a topic about posting PMs and not actually posting PMs. It's a discussion that's worthwhile.

Get rid of classified and you make the reason behind posting PMs moot. Or seemingly moot. I'm sure people will find different ways to argue and think they need to post PMs. Human nature I think.

Discussion is a good thing and the best part of a discussion forum. Not buying and selling. But that's just my opinion. Most people probably think differently.

Exactly.

It's a topic about posting PMs and not actually posting PMs. It's a discussion that's worthwhile.

Get rid of classified and you make the reason behind posting PMs moot. Or seemingly moot. I'm sure people will find different ways to argue and think they need to post PMs. Human nature I think.

Discussion is a good thing and the best part of a discussion forum. Not buying and selling. But that's just my opinion. Most people probably think differently.
"If I don't need it, nobody does."

- This account was created because I saw something worth taking the risk via PCF Classifieds. That being said I haven't had a problem in classifieds ever for the record. Everybody I have purchased from was professional and seemingly cared about the transactions just as much as I did.

I don't know why, or how long you are gonna preach getting rid of classifieds, but that doesn't seem to be an option either. That alone draws in LOTS of traffic.

usually by people in government who want their point of view reported without facing any consequences such as proving their claims
I’ll register my disagreement here. Most often, in my experience anyway, it is done to provide information on highly complex and technical topics in a free flowing conversion, without the worry of the story being attributed to a person. And we always say that they may refer to an agency official, but ask that they do not cite by name.

We typically then follow that with an on the record interview with by name attribution.

I’ll register my disagreement here. Most often, in my experience anyway, it is done to provide information on highly complex and technical topics in a free flowing conversion, without the worry of the story being attributed to a person. And we always say that they may refer to an agency official, but ask that they do not cite by name.

We typically then follow that with an on the record interview with by name attribution.

And that’s the problem right there.

The abuse of off-the-record privilege has gotten out of control, and is now considered formal, including (or even especially) by mainstream, major news organizations.

People go off the record when there is no legitimate reason to do so. And reporters let them, far too often.

Then, even when claims prove to be bogus or self-serving, the press does not hold anyone accountable for this anonymous spinning.

This was particularly flagrant (and more obvious) during the run-up to and aftermath of the Iraq War. But it is just as insidious in less high-profile situations,

Note: Mother was a reporter. Father was an editor and weekly columnist. Grandfather a media attorney for figures like Lowell Thomas. I myself a former columnist for a national publication. I mention this because what is most troubling about your position is that you consider this practice normal, not something reserved for extraordinary situations. It did not use to be so common.

Interesting... While it may be a pain to look up, do you remember the context at least?
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...ney-in-pr0n0graph1c-detail.60841/post-1385876

This happened to me a while ago. PM screenshots were posted in order to tarnish my reputation and/or to justify I don't know what, without any proof of course. I have done absolutely nothing to deserve this and several trusted members of PCF can attest.
The author quickly edited the post himself even though I requested the mods. To this day, I have never had an apology or explanation from this member.

This is in my rear view mirror now and I am in peace, but since the question is asked...

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/windwalker’s-chipping-journey-in-pr0n0graph1c-detail.60841/post-1385876

This happened to me a while ago. PM screenshots were posted in order to tarnish my reputation and/or to justify I don't know what, without any proof of course. I have done absolutely nothing to deserve this and several trusted members of PCF can attest.
The author quickly edited the post himself even though I requested the mods. To this day, I have never had an apology or explanation from this member.

This is in my rear view mirror now and I am in peace, but since the question is asked...
Thank you... Someone else sent me that same post in a PM.

Hold on... let me show you that PM... :eek::LOL: :laugh:

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/windwalker’s-chipping-journey-in-pr0n0graph1c-detail.60841/post-1385876

All over an angry emoji. :rolleyes:

Thank you... Someone else sent me that same post in a PM.

Hold on... let me show you that PM... :eek::LOL: :laugh:
Out him !!!!

I'm obviously joking, I voted NO because I consider that there are only few cases - well identified by all - where the publication of PM would be justified. The YES/NO vote is a bit too binary in my opinion, neither is viable.

A firm NO would leave the possibility to say anything behind the scene, without the fear of being denounced, while an unconditional yes would leave the door open to this kind of childish but disrespectful game. A rare case, but it should not happen anymore.

A YES, under certain conditions would have my full vote.

My two cents.

Out him !!!!

I'm obviously joking, I voted NO because I consider that there are only few cases - well identified by all - where the publication of PM would be justified. The YES/NO vote is a bit too binary in my opinion, neither is viable.

A firm NO would leave the possibility to say anything behind the scene, without the fear of being denounced, while an unconditional yes would leave the door open to this kind of childish but disrespectful game. A rare case, but it should not happen anymore.

A YES, under certain conditions would have my full vote.

My two cents.
Needs a “maybe” option :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Needs a “maybe” option :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
1619556678107.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom