Community Feedback - Posting private messages (1 Viewer)

Posting private messages on the forum. Should this be allowed?

• YES

Votes: 137 54.6%
  • NO

Votes: 114 45.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy

Royal Flush
Admin
Supporter
Reaction score
Posting private messages on the forum. Should this be allowed? Please vote. Votes are private and comments are optional. Thanks.

Voted yes, but not lightly. Only as proof in some scam like affair
So why vote yes if you are against in the majority of cases?
Would you like the contents of your deals or private stuff to be revealed without your consent?

It happened to me and in order to denigrate me.
And I didn't like it at all. I had nothing to reproach myself for. It's a matter of principle and respect. Don't you think so?

I believe DMs should remain private. In the event of conflict resolution, it should be elevated to a moderator/admin (sorry to put more work on you @Tommy) who will decide how to handle forward.

I cannot vote. My answer would be posting private messages can be permitted to verify accusations (true or false) PROVIDED THE PERSONAL INFORMATION IS MADE UNREADABLE TO THE PUBLIC (ie, names and contact information)

Would you like the contents of your deals or private stuff to be revealed without your consent?

And I didn't like it at all. I had nothing to reproach myself for. It's a matter of principle and respect. Don't you think so?
Yup I voted NO for this particular reason. I think only when someone got scammed it’s good to expose it. But other than that , hell no. It’s childish to share private messages for no legit serious reason.

Only for dispute resolution. If someone says something on the public message board but, something else in a PM the PM should be able to be posted as proof.

Posted as proof to whom? In a public thread is just a pitchfork gathering session. Presumably admins/mods can see PMs if need be.

(I voted no fwiw).

OK, I understand. Reluctant to vote because there is no 100% Yes or No answer. It depends.

I generally think it is scummy to post DMs to the forums.

But as others have said, it may occasionally be necessary to prove a serious accusation or to defend against one.

Posted as proof to whom? In a public thread is just a pitchfork gathering session. Presumably admins/mods can see PMs if need be.

(I voted no fwiw).

No they can’t, unless something has changed.

No they can’t, unless something has changed.

Fair enough, then I guess my opinion is that you should be able to share PMs with admins/mods in dispute resolution, but would still be against posting them in public.

No I wouldn’t, but to me, if I vote no, it means that pms could never be posted. And I think there are instances where they could be. Again, not lightly

You shouldn’t be saying stuff to strangers in the internet that you’d be afraid would be posted publicly. Nothing to keep someone from posting these pm’s on Facebook or any other chipping site. Don’t say stuff that you are afraid would become public, and then don’t be mad when it happens.

You shouldn’t be saying stuff to strangers in the internet that you’d be afraid would be posted publicly. Nothing to keep someone from posting these pm’s on Facebook or any other chipping site. Don’t say stuff that you are afraid would become public, and then don’t be mad when it happens.

I agree with the sentiment, and wouldn’t be ashamed to have any of my PMs made public, but “you shouldn’t take nude selfies because someone might post them” is different than “it should be legal to post someone else’s nude selfies”.

I agree with the sentiment, and wouldn’t be ashamed to have any of my PMs made public, but “you shouldn’t take nude selfies because someone might post them” is different than “it should be legal to post someone else’s nude selfies”.
Please don't post any of the selfies I sent you!

It doesn’t happen often and it usually is childish when it does. I would think we’re all adults who know the meaning of the word private.
But I can remember some dispute threads or warning threads where PMs were very enlightening about who I wanted to do business with.
Can’t we just all act like adults?

Without the first there is no second. If people are circulating nude selfies here then I understand why this would be a no. Makes you wonder what other behavior is going on that might be against this?

I think its is probably usually not acceptable from a community standpoint. But there has been public disagreements where X claims that Y did or said something in private. Y should have the ability to defend themselves with the receipts if the accusations are untrue, even if in the form private message. There are probably other innocuous situations where people are posting content from PMs just to recall certain discussions where privacy wasn't relevant. We need to separate out community norms vs site administration. The site shouldn't necessarily enforce community norms.

But I certainly do not think Tommy or the Admins should get involved in this. It is not the responsibility of the site to monitor this or enforce arbitrary community norms.

Pro Tip: You should always assume someone could one day read anything you ever type online.

Everyone grows old but not everyone grows up.

I agree with many here that for the most part it's not OK to post private messages publicly, but there are times it may be needed to prove wrongdoing or your own innocence in an issue/dispute.

I'm in line with this thinking. It's just that (I think) a vast majority of the people here are chill and cool. I know people reference each other by their real names here; there are real pictures of the members here (some with their kids) and I know for a fact people DM their addresses here.

Ultimately, I'm not afraid of people sharing something toxic or disingenuous that another member might have said. I'm with you on this - if a member is being toxic, they should be called out. I'm just not comfortable with people sharing people's personal info.

As for for how - I believe there are better methods than screen-dumping an entire DM log for the entire community to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom