Coloring UP (1 Viewer)

JERiT0

Waiting List
Reaction score
I was at a friends home game 1$/$2 with 40$ buy in with 7 people at the table and the host decided to color up his chip stacks after a couple of hours playing and players rebuying. There was plenty of chips still available in the chip case, he had like 300$ in chips and decided to color up $100 black chip. I asked why hes coloring and he says "i dont like having a lot of chips" but I dont think it was like an amount that is bothersome for the table.
I didnt stop him or protested but in my opinion coloring up at a home game can have like psychological advantage and have the other player rethink his chip stack.

Am I just overthinking it or what are you guys' thoughts?

ps.. we are just a casual home game with friends

Why do you think the one chip creates an advantage?

Especially if hes the host, no I wouldn't complain too much as long as it stayed in play.
Mind Games Cooking GIF by CBC

Eh, I always just like moar chips for the most part. Only if I am running out of denoms will I really consider coloring up at a cash game. I do usually like to keep fracs under control so there isn't heaps of those as they can be a little tedious to count sometimes.

Don’t feel any psychological advantages if it’s $40 buy in and assuming some players made multiple rebuys.

People are two types

RHC vs THC
Singles vs sets

So do small large denom vs big small denom stacks

I love RHC

I was at a friends home game 1$/$2 with 40$ buy in with 7 people at the table and the host decided to color up his chip stacks after a couple of hours playing and players rebuying. There was plenty of chips still available in the chip case, he had like 300$ in chips and decided to color up $100 black chip. I asked why hes coloring and he says "i dont like having a lot of chips" but I dont think it was like an amount that is bothersome for the table.
I didnt stop him or protested but in my opinion coloring up at a home game can have like psychological advantage and have the other player rethink his chip stack.

Am I just overthinking it or what are you guys' thoughts?

ps.. we are just a casual home game with friends
Coloring up in a cash game is a little weird, but not weirder than a $40 buy in for $1/$2. Do you really play a cash game with only 20 BBs?

I'm superstitious and coloring up like that has always been the kiss of death to me. I feel I start playing tighter right after
I think players do tend to tighten up after coloring up and I will exploit it if I observe it.

That said in no limit, my rule of thumb would be 80 chips is when I would consider it being too many. Then it's four barrels to move in a pot if going all in. Some color up makes sense, but I would never require a player to do this unless I was out of small denom chips.

In limit, on the other hand, have 300-400 chips in front of you :), it's fun.

I always prefer more chips because it’s fun to rake in a big pot and make chip castles. If he prefers to color up during a cash game that’s fine but definitely not a normal thing to happen in a poker room unless you are sitting 2-5 racks deep or something.

As for the psychological aspect, sometimes people respect a 20 stack of red more than a single black chip even if the amount is the same. He could be trying to get people to call lighter since it’s “only” a single black chip. I’m assuming with a $40 buy in for a $1/$2 game that must be the minimum buy in. If not, then I suggest playing a little deeper. Having a 7x the buyin stack either means no one is respecting a $40 buyin game and everyone is there to gamble which is fine but I’d prefer a deeper game.

We never color up but rebuys are given in larger denom chips and then make change from big stacks or where available. So if we started with $0.25 / 1's / and 5's maybe rebuys are done in $25 chips after the first couple rebuys

Coloring up in a cash game is a little weird, but not weirder than a $40 buy in for $1/$2. Do you really play a cash game with only 20 BBs?
I im just overthinking from the looks of it.. also yea we buy in for $40 because we got that "one friend" that doesnt want to have a big buy in but we usually rebuy and said friend does aswell. we are just friendly casual players so we dont put much fuss into it.

lol.
Why do you think the one chip creates an advantage?

Especially if hes the host, no I wouldn't complain too much as long as it stayed in play.
When we usually play and rebuy we hand out 1$ and 5$ chips unless running low on those chips but host decided to color up just cuz he had a lot of chips. But looking at the comments I think im just overthinking it. again, we are just casual games hehe

I im just overthinking from the looks of it.. also yea we buy in for $40 because we got that "one friend" that doesnt want to have a big buy in but we usually rebuy and said friend does aswell. we are just friendly casual players so we dont put much fuss into it.
I played a game with a guy like this once... he had more rebuys than the whole table combined but didnt want the buy-in to be more than $20.

I think most casual Poker players should be thinking in terms of “how much money would I be willing to lose?” and then splitting that by 2-3. That would be the buyin they should be comfortable playing at. If you’re comfortable buying in at $40 and rebuying 4-5 times you can play at $50-75 buyins without much change.

I've got no issues with a $40 buy in, I just don't like a $2 Big Blind if you only get $40. I'd much rather have a Big Blind of a quarter or 50 cents for that buy in. Not much room to play with only 20 big blinds. I don't like to possibly be down a 1/4 of my stack after 1 flop.

I've got no issues with a $40 buy in, I just don't like a $2 Big Blind if you only get $40. I'd much rather have a Big Blind of a quarter or 50 cents for that buy in. Not much room to play with only 20 big blinds. I don't like to possibly be down a 1/4 of my stack after 1 flop.
Exactly.

"$40 buy-ins? Great, I'll take five, please."

Any perceived psychological advantage is self inflicted.

I don’t care if a player wants only blind chips and hundos. I’ll let them play how they wanna play. I’ll choose to adjust how I think they’re playing based on their action.

And I’ll echo the $40/chair, at a 1/2 comments above…. Naaahhhhhh homie. Fix that :sneaky:

I rarely chip my 1/2 game up to 100’s. I feel like when the bigger chips are in play it swells the game. This can good and bad. If someone rebuys and all they have is $25 chips the bets go from 10-15 to 25-50. Not everyone at the table wants to play that big.
I keep lots of $5 in my set just for that reason.

Sounds like the host is a chipper that wants his $100s to finally get some play.

Sounds like something I would do. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

This

Also sometimes after hours of being bank it’s easier to say “F it” and give you large denim’s and you can make change yourself

This

Also sometimes after hours of being bank it’s easier to say “F it” and give you large denim’s and you can make change yourself
Oh absolutely. You certainly don't need enough chips so that all reloads get a full buy-in stack. Once the lower denoms are on the table, reloads with a single chip...to make change at the table...are the way to do it.

Sounds like the host is a chipper that wants his $100s to finally get some play.

Sounds like something I would do. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Haha, yup. Only time I've had a $20 or $25 enter play is when I color up some of my chips just so I have an excuse to get them out there. My game almost never breaks $250 on the table, so we never exhaust the $5s naturally. We barely exhaust the $1s for that matter...

Oh absolutely. You certainly don't need enough chips so that all reloads get a full buy-in stack. Once the lower denoms are on the table, reloads with a single chip...to make change at the table...are the way to do it.

For a while there my group wanted to be bought in with full starting stacks, including three bucks worth of quarters

For a while there my group wanted to be bought in with full starting stacks, including three bucks worth of quarters
I guess that’s fine if you have plenty of quarters, and don’t mind loads of chips on the table. Many folks do it that way.
I can’t see any micro-stakes NL single-table game needing more than 200 quarters though….and some would argue even that is too many.

I guess that’s fine if you have plenty of quarters, and don’t mind loads of chips on the table. Many folks do it that way.
I can’t see any micro-stakes NL single-table game needing more than 200 quarters though….and some would argue even that is too many.
I am playing 7 handed this weekend with a set that has 200 fracs. I built out 5x12/7/4/1, 7x12/22/5, 1x16/6/4/1 and 1x20/5/4/1 just so I could have one barrel of fracs remaining but use all my 1s. 200 is more than enough for one table.

Bit late to the party, but...
I consider 50 BB buy-ins to be an absolute minimum, more likely should be 100 BBs... However...
For you with a $40 buy-in, I think for $2 BBs are just too Big...
I would suggest 0.25/0.50 with a BB ante of another 0.50 for $40 buy-in, and re-buy only when busted... just my 25 cents worth :tup:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom