Clogged Pipes And Bacterial Infections Oh My! (1 Viewer)

Spend a few more bucks on some of that girly yogurt with probiotics. Last time I took antibiotics (for a tooth infection) my stomach wasn’t right for months. Old age is a bitch.

Yeah, my wife had me take some probiotics too (we have yogurt plus she has supplements as well). And agreed on aging, youth......it's wasted on the young.

I can’t wait until next weeks thread when you attempt some home electrical work and then we discuss burn treatments.

Bwah ha ha. I've actually already replaced my outside door lights and a GFI outlet in the bathroom, plus three ceiling fans. I figured the joys of homeownership was learning some new skillsets and saving a few bucks doing it yourself. For the most part that's been the case, this time being an exception.

I had a similar leg infection likely caused by wading in a local creek. Unbeknownst to me at the time, Austin's tributaries and waterways routinely test well below federal standards due to fecal contamination likely caused by all the canine poop that doesn't get picked up and contaminates the watershed.
Anyways sounds like same symptoms you're experiencing and took 3 different antibiotics to get it under control. Infection crept up to my knee and any higher was a real concern.

It's been 2 years and my foot has still not recovered 100% and swells daily if I don't where compressions socks.

On a plumbing note, we also had to have our lines snaked out to 75ft to the tune of $4k. Yes we shopped it around and that was the cheapest :(
View attachment 863447

Holy fucking shit that's nuts! I only started taking my antibiotics last night so I'm still really early in the treatment, but tonight it definitely doesn't feel as bad as it had been feeling, and I haven't had swelling to the level of that picture, good lord that looks brutal.

As far as the 4k price to snake your lines, that sounds like a ripoff all around. You should be able to fucking REPLACE the pipes for that!

I'd expect at least a handy in the front seat of his pickup for that price
Not needed here. Driveway is short, pipe wasn't deep. Blacktop is cheap and plentiful here (cement driveways crack too easily here with our harsh winters). One guy, and all that was left for day 2 was the blacktop. Too easy.

So earlier this week near the end of my shower I noticed a gurgling noise from the toilet as I finished showering. Eventually this lead to the toilet not flushing correctly, so went out and bought a 3-6' toilet-specific auger and I thought that did the trick.

But then the next day I'm washing dishes in the kitchen sink and afterwards when I go back to that bathroom I notice the shower has a bunch of mucky water stopped up in it, which eventually goes away, but it's a super slow drain. And the water is not only messing with the tub and toilet, but it's leaking from the bottoms of them onto the bathroom floor too.

I decide to go out and buy a 25' drain auger and fix it myself, rather than paying one of those franchise plumbers $500+ to do it. Well, I lead a decidedly sedentary lifestyle, and I beat the hell out of myself trying to unclog the fucking thing.

With no success I try again the next day, with my whole body sore as hell and still can't seem to push through whatever blockage I've hit. I'm googling plumbers and find one that doesn't look like a franchise where a lot of times guys are paid on commission and I speak with the guy who can come by in about 1-2 hours. As I hang up I notice this # is a contact in my phone, and I check my texts and realize it's a plumber I had tried years ago when we heard a foghorn sound in our pipes from time to time. He hadn't been able to replicate it, so didn't charge us a dime for his time (I still gave him some money for lunch as a thank you)

Anyway, he shows up and he can't bust it up with a 75' snake, which is getting towards the septic tank at that point. So he finds a massive clog around our kitchen sink piping from outside the house that he's able to clear, and winds up digging up the septic pipes and clears it there.

So I wound up spending a little over $300 on the drain snakes I bought, only to fail. Fortunately this guy busted his but and only charged $295, I'm sure a company like Roto Rooter would've been over $500.

While the plumber was at the house I started shivering uncontrollably and had a lot of trouble staying warm. The next day I wake up and my lower right leg is really red, warm to the touch and sore (although my legs, thighs, butt and arms had been sore from trying to clear the clog on my own). I look it up online and discover I most likely have Cellulitis (a bacterial infection) which makes sense because I had chills the day before and the redness is only on one leg, plus I had been working in the backed up water that was on the floor of the bathroom.

I swing down to an urgent care clinic nearby and see the doctor. He touches my leg and notices it feels a lot harder than my other leg, so while I have all the symptoms of Cellulitis, he's concerned I may actually have a blood clot, so he decides to send me to an ER that can perform an ultrasound on my leg to figure it out. Fortunately they also call me right after I leave and say they're refunding the $110 visit fee.

The location they send me to is an Advent Health ER, and in nice bold signage they let you know you're paying ER pricing, and expect $1,433 or more for the visit (yippee!). They take me in fairly quickly but it's a bit before the doc swings by. He just looks at my leg and tells me I'm probably right, it looks like Cellulitis, but they wind up doing the ultrasound and confirm it's not a blood clot, and give me a prescription for antibiotics for 10 days.

When I'm leaving they can't even tell me what my bill will be, but they'll send it to me (I can't fucking wait to see how much this is going to cost lol). When I get up each morning my right leg is painfully sore and difficult to walk on, although it goes away after I've walked on it a bit, plus taken some ibuprofen.

CLIFFS: Spent $300 so I wouldn't have to spend $500 on a plumber, wound up spending another $300 on a plumber. Spent $110 at a clinic and they give free antibiotics, but they sent me to an ER to diagnose me with what I already diagnosed myself with, which is going to cost me four-figures, plus had to go to CVS and pay another 30 bucks for the antibiotics. But at least I caught this all in time and didn't just ignore it.
This is exactly why I call in a professional for everything, especially anything related to plumbing and electrical.

The battery light came on in my wife's vehicle in early January. I bought a $200 battery and changed it out myself.

Two weeks, maybe a month later, she texts me that her engine was running really high and there were a bunch of lights on the dashboard coming on.

I drove to her work, dropped off my car and took hers back to my office. I would rather drive a vehicle having issues and wanted to see what the problems were for myself rather than decipher what she's telling me. Driving down a main road, the vehicle will not come out of 2nd gear. I stop at a light and throw it into neutral. When the light changes and I go into manual shift mode, but it still won't come out of 2nd gear. So I'm at about 3500 RPMs and I'm going 35 MPH.

I get to the next light and it starts running super rough. I'm in the left turn lane from a major road onto a major road heading to the freeway. All the lights on the dash light up like a drag racing tree and the car stalls. I try restarting it and I get nothing -- no starter, no hesitation, no juice. I'm dead in the water, 15 miles from work and 8 miles from home.

I called for a tow and waited maybe 20-30 minutes with a line of angry motorists behind me who couldn't see my hazards in the bright sunshine. When I got to the shop, I was lucky they weren't busy and could take me that afternoon. I was glad it was only the alternator and belt. Should've had the mechanic look at her vehicle when the battery light first went off instead of buying a $200 battery.

Borrowed MILs vehicle and drove to my office to pick up my laptop. Lost the entire day from work.

Cliff's: I bought a $200 battery so I didn't have to pay a mechanic. Ended up paying a mechanic $500 for a new alternator and missed a day of work. No antibiotics needed.
Should have just called a plumber.

Here's a shot from this morning, fortunately nothing like @Meddler2 went through

20220214_074834.jpg

Just because you are small, doesn't mean you are supposed to crawl IN the drainpipe.

One time, I had pancreatitis because of gall stones and I bought a book on how to perform surgery on myself...oh wait I didn't because I live in Canada.

Just because you are small, doesn't mean you are supposed to crawl IN the drainpipe.

One time, I had pancreatitis because of gall stones and I bought a book on how to perform surgery on myself...oh wait I didn't because I live in Canada.
So you went to the US TO get a real doctor and not wait??
:ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Little less pain getting up this morning and the skin doesn't feel as tight and swollen, so it seems like it's responding to the antibiotics!

For my next trick, I will attempt to repair a broken transformer, instead of waiting for the power company

Warm compresses are your friend Anthony. Try to elevate your legs as much as you can too. If anything, it gives you an excuse to literally put your feet up on @k9dr 's table this weekend.

While I have responded favorably to the antibiotics, I still have some redness, warmth and tenderness on my lower leg, although nothing like when it started

I took my last antibiotic this morning (10 day supply)

I've read that redness can last for up to two weeks. I guess I'll need to request a few more days antibiotics from the doc

Sounds like you got Keflex, that should fare better than whatever you got first. Best wishes!

Got a different antibiotic this time. Gotta take it 4x/day for 10 days

Hopefully that will be the end of this bacteria
My infection only responded to cephalexin. I have permanent damage to the lymph system of that leg.

Oh good idea to have your Dr write you an extra Rx in case it flares up down the road....my leg flared up again after one year...with no known cause.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom