Clogged Pipes And Bacterial Infections Oh My! (1 Viewer)

Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
So earlier this week near the end of my shower I noticed a gurgling noise from the toilet as I finished showering. Eventually this lead to the toilet not flushing correctly, so went out and bought a 3-6' toilet-specific auger and I thought that did the trick.

But then the next day I'm washing dishes in the kitchen sink and afterwards when I go back to that bathroom I notice the shower has a bunch of mucky water stopped up in it, which eventually goes away, but it's a super slow drain. And the water is not only messing with the tub and toilet, but it's leaking from the bottoms of them onto the bathroom floor too.

I decide to go out and buy a 25' drain auger and fix it myself, rather than paying one of those franchise plumbers $500+ to do it. Well, I lead a decidedly sedentary lifestyle, and I beat the hell out of myself trying to unclog the fucking thing.

With no success I try again the next day, with my whole body sore as hell and still can't seem to push through whatever blockage I've hit. I'm googling plumbers and find one that doesn't look like a franchise where a lot of times guys are paid on commission and I speak with the guy who can come by in about 1-2 hours. As I hang up I notice this # is a contact in my phone, and I check my texts and realize it's a plumber I had tried years ago when we heard a foghorn sound in our pipes from time to time. He hadn't been able to replicate it, so didn't charge us a dime for his time (I still gave him some money for lunch as a thank you)

Anyway, he shows up and he can't bust it up with a 75' snake, which is getting towards the septic tank at that point. So he finds a massive clog around our kitchen sink piping from outside the house that he's able to clear, and winds up digging up the septic pipes and clears it there.

So I wound up spending a little over $300 on the drain snakes I bought, only to fail. Fortunately this guy busted his but and only charged $295, I'm sure a company like Roto Rooter would've been over $500.

While the plumber was at the house I started shivering uncontrollably and had a lot of trouble staying warm. The next day I wake up and my lower right leg is really red, warm to the touch and sore (although my legs, thighs, butt and arms had been sore from trying to clear the clog on my own). I look it up online and discover I most likely have Cellulitis (a bacterial infection) which makes sense because I had chills the day before and the redness is only on one leg, plus I had been working in the backed up water that was on the floor of the bathroom.

I swing down to an urgent care clinic nearby and see the doctor. He touches my leg and notices it feels a lot harder than my other leg, so while I have all the symptoms of Cellulitis, he's concerned I may actually have a blood clot, so he decides to send me to an ER that can perform an ultrasound on my leg to figure it out. Fortunately they also call me right after I leave and say they're refunding the $110 visit fee.

The location they send me to is an Advent Health ER, and in nice bold signage they let you know you're paying ER pricing, and expect $1,433 or more for the visit (yippee!). They take me in fairly quickly but it's a bit before the doc swings by. He just looks at my leg and tells me I'm probably right, it looks like Cellulitis, but they wind up doing the ultrasound and confirm it's not a blood clot, and give me a prescription for antibiotics for 10 days.

When I'm leaving they can't even tell me what my bill will be, but they'll send it to me (I can't fucking wait to see how much this is going to cost lol). When I get up each morning my right leg is painfully sore and difficult to walk on, although it goes away after I've walked on it a bit, plus taken some ibuprofen.

CLIFFS: Spent $300 so I wouldn't have to spend $500 on a plumber, wound up spending another $300 on a plumber. Spent $110 at a clinic and they give free antibiotics, but they sent me to an ER to diagnose me with what I already diagnosed myself with, which is going to cost me four-figures, plus had to go to CVS and pay another 30 bucks for the antibiotics. But at least I caught this all in time and didn't just ignore it.

It never rains but it pours!
Get well soon.

The plumbing part would have cost practically the same in Greece (1/3d, with salaries also being roughly 1/3d).
The health part would have cost considerably less, with the U-Sound costing one tenth, or nothing at all if it's an emergency.

Did you have a scrape or a cut or opening in the skin in the leg otherwise? This makes no sense if your skin was totally clear before this.

My feet got wet and the soles were dry/cracked. Plus my right knee had a scrape still healing from someone clipping my wheel at the rink cauding me to fall on it

I had cellulites on my shin a few weeks ago. Hurts like an meffer. It sucks going to the ER but if you had a blood clot or sepsis it might save your life. You were smart here and frankly be glad it’s just a simple infection.

The nasties that came out of my leg were horrible once my immune system got the upper hand. Hope yours resolves quickly.

The nasties that came out of my leg were horrible once my immune system got the upper hand. Hope yours resolves quickly.

For me it's most painful when I'm waking up or after elevating it. Sitting with my legs normal seems to hurt less

Could you be more descriptive about nasties out of your leg? I don't have any bumps full of pus or anything, just redness and mild swelling as I went when I first noticed it.

Should I expect stuff coming out of my leg?

For me it's most painful when I'm waking up or after elevating it. Sitting with my legs normal seems to hurt less

Could you be more descriptive about nasties out of your leg? I don't have any bumps full of pus or anything, just redness and mild swelling as I went when I first noticed it.

Should I expect stuff coming out of my leg?
I’ve had it go both ways, but most recently it was a bunch of blood and pus. I had it in my hand and it just slowly receded without discharge although I had a layer of peeled skin from how far it swelled.

The battery light came on in my wife's vehicle in early January. I bought a $200 battery and changed it out myself.

Two weeks, maybe a month later, she texts me that her engine was running really high and there were a bunch of lights on the dashboard coming on.

I drove to her work, dropped off my car and took hers back to my office. I would rather drive a vehicle having issues and wanted to see what the problems were for myself rather than decipher what she's telling me. Driving down a main road, the vehicle will not come out of 2nd gear. I stop at a light and throw it into neutral. When the light changes and I go into manual shift mode, but it still won't come out of 2nd gear. So I'm at about 3500 RPMs and I'm going 35 MPH.

I get to the next light and it starts running super rough. I'm in the left turn lane from a major road onto a major road heading to the freeway. All the lights on the dash light up like a drag racing tree and the car stalls. I try restarting it and I get nothing -- no starter, no hesitation, no juice. I'm dead in the water, 15 miles from work and 8 miles from home.

I called for a tow and waited maybe 20-30 minutes with a line of angry motorists behind me who couldn't see my hazards in the bright sunshine. When I got to the shop, I was lucky they weren't busy and could take me that afternoon. I was glad it was only the alternator and belt. Should've had the mechanic look at her vehicle when the battery light first went off instead of buying a $200 battery.

Borrowed MILs vehicle and drove to my office to pick up my laptop. Lost the entire day from work.

Cliff's: I bought a $200 battery so I didn't have to pay a mechanic. Ended up paying a mechanic $500 for a new alternator and missed a day of work. No antibiotics needed.

Last edited:
The battery light came on in my wife's vehicle in early January. I bought a $200 battery and changed it out myself.

Two weeks, maybe a month later, she texts me that her engine was running really high and there were a bunch of lights on the dashboard coming on.

I drove to her work, dropped off my car and took hers back to my office. I would rather drive a vehicle giving issues and wanted to see what the problems were for myself rather than decipher what she's telling me. Driving down a main road, the vehicle will not come out of 2nd gear. I stop at a light and throw it into neutral. When the light changes and I go into manual shift mode, but it still won't come out of 2nd gear. So I'm at about 3500 RPMs and I'm going 35 MPH.

I get to the next light and it starts running super rough. I'm in the left turn lane from a major road onto a major road heading to the freeway. All the lights on the dash light up like a drag racing tree and the car stalls. I try restarting it and I get nothing -- no starter, no hesitation, no juice. I'm dead in the water, 15 miles from work and 8 miles from home.

I called for a tow and waited maybe 20-30 minutes with a line of angry motorists behind me who couldn't see my hazards in the bright sunshine. When I got to the shop, I was lucky they weren't busy and could take me that afternoon. I was glad it was only the alternator and belt. Should've had the mechanic look at her vehicle when the battery light first went off instead of buying a $200 battery.

Borrowed MILs vehicle and drive to my office to pick up my laptop. List almost the entire day from work.

Cliff's: I bought a $200 battery so I didn't have to pay a mechanic. Ended up paying a mechanic $500 for a new alternator and missed a day of work. No antibiotics needed.

Gotta love when we try to save a buck and it costs us more in the end lol

So earlier this week near the end of my shower I noticed a gurgling noise from the toilet as I finished showering. Eventually this lead to the toilet not flushing correctly, so went out and bought a 3-6' toilet-specific auger and I thought that did the trick.

But then the next day I'm washing dishes in the kitchen sink and afterwards when I go back to that bathroom I notice the shower has a bunch of mucky water stopped up in it, which eventually goes away, but it's a super slow drain. And the water is not only messing with the tub and toilet, but it's leaking from the bottoms of them onto the bathroom floor too.

I decide to go out and buy a 25' drain auger and fix it myself, rather than paying one of those franchise plumbers $500+ to do it. Well, I lead a decidedly sedentary lifestyle, and I beat the hell out of myself trying to unclog the fucking thing.

With no success I try again the next day, with my whole body sore as hell and still can't seem to push through whatever blockage I've hit. I'm googling plumbers and find one that doesn't look like a franchise where a lot of times guys are paid on commission and I speak with the guy who can come by in about 1-2 hours. As I hang up I notice this # is a contact in my phone, and I check my texts and realize it's a plumber I had tried years ago when we heard a foghorn sound in our pipes from time to time. He hadn't been able to replicate it, so didn't charge us a dime for his time (I still gave him some money for lunch as a thank you)

Anyway, he shows up and he can't bust it up with a 75' snake, which is getting towards the septic tank at that point. So he finds a massive clog around our kitchen sink piping from outside the house that he's able to clear, and winds up digging up the septic pipes and clears it there.

So I wound up spending a little over $300 on the drain snakes I bought, only to fail. Fortunately this guy busted his but and only charged $295, I'm sure a company like Roto Rooter would've been over $500.

While the plumber was at the house I started shivering uncontrollably and had a lot of trouble staying warm. The next day I wake up and my lower right leg is really red, warm to the touch and sore (although my legs, thighs, butt and arms had been sore from trying to clear the clog on my own). I look it up online and discover I most likely have Cellulitis (a bacterial infection) which makes sense because I had chills the day before and the redness is only on one leg, plus I had been working in the backed up water that was on the floor of the bathroom.

I swing down to an urgent care clinic nearby and see the doctor. He touches my leg and notices it feels a lot harder than my other leg, so while I have all the symptoms of Cellulitis, he's concerned I may actually have a blood clot, so he decides to send me to an ER that can perform an ultrasound on my leg to figure it out. Fortunately they also call me right after I leave and say they're refunding the $110 visit fee.

The location they send me to is an Advent Health ER, and in nice bold signage they let you know you're paying ER pricing, and expect $1,433 or more for the visit (yippee!). They take me in fairly quickly but it's a bit before the doc swings by. He just looks at my leg and tells me I'm probably right, it looks like Cellulitis, but they wind up doing the ultrasound and confirm it's not a blood clot, and give me a prescription for antibiotics for 10 days.

When I'm leaving they can't even tell me what my bill will be, but they'll send it to me (I can't fucking wait to see how much this is going to cost lol). When I get up each morning my right leg is painfully sore and difficult to walk on, although it goes away after I've walked on it a bit, plus taken some ibuprofen.

CLIFFS: Spent $300 so I wouldn't have to spend $500 on a plumber, wound up spending another $300 on a plumber. Spent $110 at a clinic and they give free antibiotics, but they sent me to an ER to diagnose me with what I already diagnosed myself with, which is going to cost me four-figures, plus had to go to CVS and pay another 30 bucks for the antibiotics. But at least I caught this all in time and didn't just ignore it.
Cellulitis is a bitch. I had it in my lower leg Nov 20. Ended up spending 3 days in the hospital. Glad you didn’t get it that bad.

My symptoms started about 10 am and was in hospital with a temp of 104 by 1 pm. Crazy how fast it hit.

The fateful idea of "every citizen, a driver" is totally irrational (imagine: "every citizen an airman, or a sea captain") and is exclusively due to two people: Henry Ford and Adolf Hitler.

Cellulitis is a bitch. I had it in my lower leg Nov 20. Ended up spending 3 days in the hospital. Glad you didn’t get it that bad.

My symptoms started about 10 am and was in hospital with a temp of 104 by 1 pm. Crazy how fast it hit.

Did you have chills the day prior as well? After I woke up and saw the redness and did a little research I decided I was going to the urgent care within a few hours after waking up, so addressed it relatively quickly, but I think it was probably about 5pm by the time I was done between the clinic and then the ER doing the ultrasound.

Do not fuck around with cellulitis. I had it in 2014 after DCS and I ended up in the ER/hospital for 5 nights. Fever, redness, swollen and taught/hard skin, rash. It can progress to sepsis in a flash and kill you. Oral antibiotics may not be enough--you need a Vancomycin IV infusion or similar hardcore IV antibiotics. If it doesn't subside within 24 hours or has progressed up your leg (or starts to), get your ass to the ER at a real hospital. Do not waste time with an urgent care center.

Seriously, you can end up losing a limb or having full-blown sepsis. It can kill you in days.

Do not fuck around with cellulitis. I had it in 2014 after DCS and I ended up in the ER/hospital for 5 nights. Fever, redness, swollen and taught/hard skin, rash. It can progress to sepsis in a flash and kill you. Oral antibiotics may not be enough--you need a Vancomycin IV infusion or similar hardcore IV antibiotics. If it doesn't subside within 24 hours or has progressed up your leg (or starts to), get your ass to the ER at a real hospital. Do not waste time with an urgent care center.

Seriously, you can end up losing a limb or having full-blown sepsis. It can kill you in days.

If my condition worsens I won't be fucking around. So far the swelling and color hasn't worsened, but if it does I'll head to the ER.

Thank you for the headsup!

Did you have chills the day prior as well? After I woke up and saw the redness and did a little research I decided I was going to the urgent care within a few hours after waking up, so addressed it relatively quickly, but I think it was probably about 5pm by the time I was done between the clinic and then the ER doing the ultrasound.
Nope. Got up in the morning and felt fine. Starting feeling bad around 10, bad enough to go to ER at 12 and in a room by 1. Crazy day.

Keep a close eye on it and get to ER if it gets worse. Hopefully it won’t.

If it does turn out to be a clot, couldn't you save a few bucks and take that 3-6' snake along with you rather than having them use their special little instruments and thinners?
In all seriousness, though. That sucks. And I know where you're coming from. It's actually kind of scary. Take care.

Spend a few more bucks on some of that girly yogurt with probiotics. Last time I took antibiotics (for a tooth infection) my stomach wasn’t right for months. Old age is a bitch.

I had a similar leg infection likely caused by wading in a local creek. Unbeknownst to me at the time, Austin's tributaries and waterways routinely test well below federal standards due to fecal contamination likely caused by all the canine poop that doesn't get picked up and contaminates the watershed.
Anyways sounds like same symptoms you're experiencing and took 3 different antibiotics to get it under control. Infection crept up to my knee and any higher was a real concern.

It's been 2 years and my foot has still not recovered 100% and swells daily if I don't where compressions socks.

On a plumbing note, we also had to have our lines snaked out to 75ft to the tune of $4k. Yes we shopped it around and that was the cheapest :(
Screenshot_20210902-024436~2.png

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom