Chips Storage and Insurance. (1 Viewer)

Mesnik44

3 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering what the best storage would be for 4 or 5 sets (average set count is 2000 chips), that is lockable? I would like something similar to a standing cabinet with shelves inside and a lockable door. Personally I was thinking of a gun cabinet. It's heavy, and lockable.

I recently did a count of my chips and was quite astounded. I was mortified at the value of them when I did some research.

Has anyone written a rider for their insurance?

If the value of the chips was high enough I'd be looking into a gun locker. Lockable and fireproof.
0750046_1.jpg

^ same (minus cutout plus a couple birdcages sitting on top)

each drawer holds 1300-1400 depending on how you tetris them in there. bottom drawer currently has 5,000 chips with room for a few more racks.

Depending on price, fire-resistant.

Keep in mind many fire-resistant safes are designed to keep the internal temperature of the safe below 350°F to prevent paper from burning. There are others that are designed to keep the temperature below 125°F (usually to protect media). The former wouldn't be particularly useful to protect chips during a fire, and even the latter might expose the chips to temperatures that could warp/damage the chips.

As far as insurance goes, check with the company your policy is with if they have a Fine Arts or Collectibles limit and if your chips fall under that definition. If they don't, keep any and all receipts for chip purchases. You'll need that proof to show that you bought something different than dice chips. Take pictures of your chips as well for further documentation.

If the value of the chips was high enough I'd be looking into a gun locker. Lockable and fireproof.
View attachment 128132

Nope, Nope, Nope!

Keep in mind many fire-resistant safes are designed to keep the internal temperature of the safe below 350°F to prevent paper from burning. There are others that are designed to keep the temperature below 125°F (usually to protect media). The former wouldn't be particularly useful to protect chips during a fire, and even the latter might expose the chips to temperatures that could warp/damage the chips.

Safe fire rating is a bit of voodoo in the first place, but suffice to say if PCF'ers ruin their chips flattening them in the oven at 180 degrees then gun safe storage is not an option for fire protection.

http://gunsafereviewsguy.com/articles/myths-about-gun-safe-fire-ratings/3/

That's basically what I was getting at, that a fire rated gun safe isn't necessarily going to keep your chips safe during a fire. (y) :thumbsup:

It won't keep your chips safe indefinitely in the case of a fire. If your local fire department has an ISO rating of 3 or higher, a gun safe should keep your chips safe. heat and smoke damage may run the house, but it should be cooled down within 15 minutes, which is plenty for a gun safe. Not so much for a toolbox. After that, the house should be ventilated, allowing heat and smoke to leave the residence.

If you live in a rural area, then yeah, your house is going to the ground, and the fire safe is more anti-theft and less anti-fire. Select your chip storage/protection wisely.

0750046_1-jpg.128132

I've done some reasearch on gun safes, and Stack-Ons are not a good choice. They use incredibly thin gauge steel with little in terms of fireproof-edness. They'll keep guns out of the hands of children, but not thieves. All they really do is advertise to thieves that you have something valuable inside. They are relatively light to move and can be accessed with a chainsaw. You can even get in with a prybar and hammer in no time without too much trouble.

If you want a safe, look at Liberty Safes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom