Chip Security Cabinet (fb marketplace grab) (1 Viewer)

eightyWon

Straight
Reaction score
Ever inspired by one of my chipping favorites @SeanGecko, I've been looking for a metal locker/cabinet for chip storage similar to one I've seen posted in his home game thread:

IMG_20201024_231321260.jpg

I finally found something on fb marketplace the other day that, while not necessarily the same, I love for my eventual room.

Pic from the ad:

292723922_5023657647763591_4581411629970357451_n.jpg

Mine is in a little rougher shape:

20220907_180149.jpg

The lock is a cylinder plunger type made by Kenstan Lock co. out of NY. Seller didn't have the keys. I spent some time trying to pick it (lock picking is another hobby) but didn't have any success (first time trying to pick a cylinder type lock and one of the pins seemed to be completely bound)... so I just drilled out the core and got it open. The lock was mounted by a couple of large rivets so I was able to remove it cleanly.

I ordered a lock of a similar style off Amazon but it's not an exact match. I'm not sure how well it's going to mate up but we'll see. Based on measurements, I also have the Kenstan part number and they still make/sell it. I've got an email in to them for a quote for an exact replacement.

I removed the doors to make cleaning/prepping the inside easier and one of the doors was missing a bearing that's used for the rollers but it's a standard size and I have some replacements on the way.

The cabinet was wrapped in plastic and sitting out in the elements for a while so some of the plastic is fused to the metal. I think I'm just going to sand and then degrease it and paint it. Trying to decide what color... I'm leaning toward just a similar gray.

Dimensions are ~ 50"w x 53"t x 24" deep.

One thing I don't care for is that there's a gap at the end of the shelves between the shelve and the cabinet wall. Not a huge deal, but I may replace them with wooden ones.

Anyway, I'll update as I make progress.

Like everything I do, I'm sure it'll be in fits and starts and take forever :LOL: :laugh:

In terms of the room, right now I'm working on rehabbing the floor. I removed the old VCT flooring and hope to acid stain in the floor if I can get it prepped nicely enough:

20220816_194119.jpg

After some wet sanding/buffing to remove the adhesive and open the concrete:

20220820_132712.jpg

The struggle right now is the ghosting from the removed VCT (the grid pattern where the tiles used to be). It's from the top down, not the bottom up, thankfully, so it can be sanded out but it's labor intensive to get it out and have all the concrete down to the same level of exposed aggregate (otherwise I'd fear the stain would uptake differently and still leave a pattern where the floor was sanded more).

Once the flooring is done I'll paint the walls and run some new conduit for receptacles. Build a table or two. Finish cleaning the gassers I picked up a while back. Maybe replace the window.

I'm going for an industrial style. Finished but not finished sorta. This is among my inspiration pics:

industrial-deco-lounge-calico-studio-img_3ef14d9608b87bbd_4-6814-1-8862241.jpg

...also maybe take some inspiration from the underground club feel of KGB's place.

60 grit sanding today and the plastic wrap folded like a nit:

20220910_160901~2.jpg

20220910_180120~2.jpg

Left a nice paintable surface.

Not sure if I'm going to sand and paint the inside or the shelves. It's all in much better condition.

Thats actually a great idea... I saw a picture of someones home game that they had a toolbox on wheels they used. One with a locking system. Looked good as it moved around and could approach different tables..etc

Cabinet has leveling feet but one of them was busted. I decided to try casters on it even though I really didn't want the additional height (was thinking about putting a piece of butcher block on top and using it as a bottle shelf).

I picked up some casters and today I welded a 1/8" mounting plate to the bottom at each corner:

20220914_131316.jpg

Marked and drilled the holes:

20220914_132046~2.jpg

Mounted:

20220914_140840.jpg

I'm clearly no welder and I have shit equipment so thankfully painting and the wheels being on the bottom will help hide my butchery - but, they're structurally sound and they work really well:

20220914_164701.jpg

Overall height wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and it's really nice to be able to move it around so easily (and the casters lock) so I think I'll keep em.

Today I re-tapped one of the bolt holes for the bottom sliding door rails. They're 10-24 but one was stripped out so I tapped it up to 12-24.

I'm not painting the shelves or the inside because they're in good shape but it looked odd leaving the bottom rails and this front lip the lighter gray so I painted those (no pics of the rails):

20221005_104924~2.jpg

Then I gave the inside, the shelves, and the doors a good scrub because I'm pretty sure it was a mice nest for a while before I bought it.

Blew the inside of the cabinet dry with the leaf blower and the rest dying in the sun on a beautiful midwest day:

20221005_142017~3.jpg

20221005_142930~2.jpg

Once the wheel mounting plates were ground and painted, they ended up looking fine:

20221005_142915.jpg

Pardon the overspray on the caster. What I get for being lazy.

So, other than reassembly I think we're done with the cabinet. I'll take some final pics at some point.

Like everything I do, I'm sure it'll be in fits and starts and take forever :LOL: :laugh:

In terms of the room, right now I'm working on rehabbing the floor. I removed the old VCT flooring and hope to acid stain in the floor if I can get it prepped nicely enough:

View attachment 984013

After some wet sanding/buffing to remove the adhesive and open the concrete:

View attachment 984014

The struggle right now is the ghosting from the removed VCT (the grid pattern where the tiles used to be). It's from the top down, not the bottom up, thankfully, so it can be sanded out but it's labor intensive to get it out and have all the concrete down to the same level of exposed aggregate (otherwise I'd fear the stain would uptake differently and still leave a pattern where the floor was sanded more).

Once the flooring is done I'll paint the walls and run some new conduit for receptacles. Build a table or two. Finish cleaning the gassers I picked up a while back. Maybe replace the window.

I'm going for an industrial style. Finished but not finished sorta. This is among my inspiration pics:

View attachment 984018

...also maybe take some inspiration from the underground club feel of KGB's place.
I feel like I used this same picture to inspire my basement because I had two poles in the middle just like this. lol
Good Luck! The pics of my basement are somewhere on here.

This is really great!! Definitely keeping my eyes open for something like this starting now.

I think the contrast of the light shelves and dark cabinet looks nice. Definitely a good choice in my book.

Have you had a chance to load it up yet?

You plan on playing poker with uncovered concrete floors? Living on the wild side....

Keep extra decks, if a card is dropped on concrete and picked up there is a chance it will be marked is scraped (especially on the back)..... I suggest painting the floor at minimum for dust management.... throw down a carpet under the table to avoid the worst of abrasive concrete

Keep extra decks, if a card is dropped on concrete and picked up there is a chance it will be marked is scraped (especially on the back)..... I suggest painting the floor at minimum for dust management.... throw down a carpet under the table to avoid the worst of abrasive concrete
Stained concrete floors are very popular in some areas. We pulled up carpet and did this to our previous home in San Antonio on the main level of our home. Once properly prepped and stained, you put on a sealer. The concrete is no more abrasive than hardwoods, and probably less abrasive than most ceramic tile floors. It's not something to be overly worried about.

The concrete is no more abrasive than hardwoods, and probably less abrasive than most ceramic tile floors. It's not something to be overly worried about.
Sure, no worries... as long as you don't mind chipped and broken Paulson or ceramic chips, or dented plastic chips.

Big difference between dropping clay chips on hardwood floors vs much harder concrete or tile surfaces, no matter how it's finished. And hardwood floors have damaged plenty of clay chips.

One variation of Murphy's Law is the harder the floor surface, the higher the likelihood of chips being dropped on it.

Was it @Ben8257 who had pictures of horribly damaged chips after he accidentally dropped a rack of them on concrete floor? I think I saw those like a year or two ago...

Either way, I think @BGinGA s concerns are very much justified.

I was thinking also of dropped glass on concrete or tile floors too. My drunk ass fiends would drop a beer bottle or glass every time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom