China clay odor removal (1 Viewer)

Skudbone

Waiting List
Reaction score
Greetings!
I just received some chips from Apache poker, CPS chips. Immediatley I noticed an odor coming off of them. It's not overpowering in terms of strength but noticeable. I tried soaking them in vinegar and it helped a little. Thanks in advance to all future helpful replys.

Time.. Air out.

Honestly, I wouldn't ever soak China clays, as the label is not like that of a Paulson chip.. The label is a sticker. And could easily peel off if wet/submerged.

^^^^^ this above 100%

remove the plastic wrapping around all the chips leave them in the open air not a closed case...it goes away, there are a few other threads here about that issue, maybe do a search

^^^^^ this above 100%

remove the plastic wrapping around all the chips leave them in the open air not a closed case...it goes away, there are a few other threads here about that issue, maybe do a search
Yes, I agree .. You can leave them out in the air on a small amount of dry baking soda for a couple/few days, flip them over once a day

Owno, this must be some kind of genetic thing, because I have never noticed any strong smell from china clays. Maybe I can smell something but don't identify it as anything other than "new plastic" ? There have been a couple of threads about "that china clay smell" and I still have very little idea what they're talking about.

You must be immune Gear. The CPS chips smelt a little like new tires burnt just a little more. It wasn't faint with my bunch either, of course I got mine pretty much right off the boat in the first GB shipment.

I was never bothered by the smell of china clays... but it usually disappears, or at least subsides dramatically, after some good use (3-4 game nights).

Put them in play... and don't think twice about it!

:)

PS: as previously stated - never soak China Clays, otherwise we'll be seeing posts from you wondering why all of your labels are falling off. ;)

They smell like crayons to me. I don't mind it. Then again I was the kid that ate the glue. Anyway, the stink sticks around on my chips b/c I store them in a case vs racks. I have had them for 6 years!

PS - mine are Pharaoh's

Thanks again to everyone that replied.
I took lockbox's advice and it helped a lot.

They smell like crayons to me. I don't mind it. Then again I was the kid that ate the glue. Anyway, the stink sticks around on my chips b/c I store them in a case vs racks. I have had them for 6 years!

PS - mine are Pharaoh's

This.
Tons of China clays of all varieties and all smell like crayons. Not bad but very strong. No amount of rinsing or airing out ever seemed to help.

Agreed on letting them air over time and dont dunk them! Mine have been out for a couple of months now and the smell is definitely less. I dont mind it now but when I opened them, wow, it was pretty strong with certain denoms.

Greetings!
I just received some chips from Apache poker, CPS chips. Immediatley I noticed an odor coming off of them. It's not overpowering in terms of strength but noticeable. I tried soaking them in vinegar and it helped a little. Thanks in advance to all future helpful replys.
Love your avatar. I've watched Sopranos too many times. I'm guessing that's the scene where Paulie was driving to Chris's house to trash the lawn and landscaping with his caddie?

New to the chip scene, but have been through this many times with nicotine items I've purchased.

I once took a wood item that wreaked of smoke. I cleaned it with Greased Lightning, which gets the surface nicotine off, then placed it in a garbage bag with plain coffee grounds and tied it shut. A week later, no more smell. Once in the air for a few days, the coffee smell is gone. An old drug trafficking trick I picked up...

I mention the wood example, because wood is pourous and nicotine is a live bacteria that attaches itself. So getting rid of the smell is hard. I can smell a mouse fart at 100 yards, so I'll be leaving my new chips in grounds when they arrive.

Yes. I misspoke. It's not a bacteria, but when in smoke form, it attaches itself, almost like as if it's a living organism. It can be hard to get rid of. Cigar rooms are usually sealed wood, leather, etc., not much fabric. for that reason. When we bought our house, I used two commercial ionizers over the weekend to rid the house of smell. They did a great job. In fact, they killed every living organism in the house. We didn't see a spider for 5 or 6 years after running that thing. But they don't get rid of all of the smell.. We scrubbed the basement concrete walls with TSP. But the wooden joists in the house have just been sweating our the odor over the years.

Ah, I get what you mean. Yeah, tobacco smoke is pretty persistent, especially in unsealed wood, as you say.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom