Cardboard Chip Boxes Group Buy Help (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If, and this may be a big if, a company could produce the flat cut-outs, with the same seams, perforations, fold lines, etc. the Type 1 boxes could be shipped as 3 separate flat pieces, and just assembled/folded up later.
I know it can be done because I bought some from Spinettis like that (in-store purchase). They were in three flat pieces and the store had rubber-banded the pieces together. These were not unfolded/flattened boxes either - perfectly virgin and flat.

I unfolded a Type 2 box from CPC and I don't think it would fit flat in a medium or large flat rate box.

What if the boxes are folded in half, and then stacked?

If, and this may be a big if, a company could produce the flat cut-outs, with the same seams, perforations, fold lines, etc. the Type 1 boxes could be shipped as 3 separate flat pieces, and just assembled/folded up later.

This would actually lower the production cost, too.

I unfolded a Type 2 box from CPC and I don't think it would fit flat in a medium or large flat rate box. That is cut out, not counting any outside cardboard that might come with it.

Sigh.

L

They fit in a large flat rate box. You can get 40-50 in a box.

I got a call back from Greg Warneke of Warneke Paper Box. I missed the call and he left a voicemail... he said he is very interested in discussing our box project with me further.

I called back and got his voicemail. Playing phone tag now.

I'll update when I have more info.

I have a meeting with Warneke Paper Box tomorrow at 1pm Mountain Time.

Their minimum order requirements are a lot of 1,000. I don't think we'd have a problem meeting that. :p

PS: If anyone has any specific requests beyond @BGinGA's "double-wide" box, please let me know NOW. I don't want to waste this guy's time, and hit him with 50 questions after the fact.

I have a meeting with Warneke Paper Box tomorrow at 1pm Mountain Time.

Their minimum order requirements are a lot of 1,000. I don't think we'd have a problem meeting that. :p

PS: If anyone has any specific requests beyond @BGinGA's "double-wide" box, please let me know NOW. I don't want to waste this guy's time, and hit him with 50 questions after the fact.

May have already been discussed or known and I missed it, but the ability of these to handle 43mm chips or have boxes made that could do so could be a possible question.

May have already been discussed or known and I missed it, but the ability of these to handle 43mm chips or have boxes made that could do so could be a possible question.

Re: 43mm...

With a count of 100?
A count of 80?
5 rows of 20?
4 rows of 20?
4 rows of 25?

Gimme the deets!!

With a count of 100?
A count of 80?
5 rows of 20?
4 rows of 20?
4 rows of 25?

Gimme the deets!!

We might be interested in 43mm also (well actually they are 44mm). Doesn't really matter what type, just for shipping. 5 rows of 20 preferable.

With a count of 100?
A count of 80?
5 rows of 20?
4 rows of 20?
4 rows of 25?

Gimme the deets!!
With all the Boardwalk/Iron Bank chips - 4 rows of 25 would work fine. Ultimately I'd be interested in whichever size would ship the cheapest.

I think 100-count boxes that fit a 44mm chips are a good items to make.

5 x 20 will be more popular than 4 x 25, but if it helps them fit more pieces to a sheet, 4 x 25 may work better and be cheaper... and the flat box you're trying to ship will be shorter.

I'd say to tell them 4 x 25 if it's more than a penny or two cheaper, else 5 x 20.

4x25 43/44mm would be my preference, from a more-compact storage/shipping perspective.

Not interested in a group buy, but does anyone have one of these their willing to sell?

Last edited:
In the waiting area...

IMG_513.jpg

Folding Carton magazine. So hot.

OK - so my meeting with Warneke was great, and I ended up with a lot of information. I will try to summarize as clearly and concisely as possible.

TYPE 1 Box (aka Glued Double Sidewall)

While on site with Warneke, we disassembled a Paulson box, and discovered that @AWenger was 100% correct in his post... these are 3-part boxes initially made as individual flat pieces that can be easily "assembled" by the user later. There is no adhesive in the final form, except for the double sidewall (which is done at the factory). Warneke confirmed that they can duplicate this box, albeit with one minor change. They use a slightly different tab/locking system, which they believe is stronger than the one implemented in the Paulson box. I'm not sure if this is correct, or if the guy was just selling me on their technique, but I'm not going to get too crazy on the technical aspects so long as it just works the same.

Here is a photo of the Paulson box we unfolded.
pson1.jpg

pson2.jpg

Here is a similar Warneke box, unfolded. FWIW, you can see their "locking tabs" are much larger.
pson4.jpg

pson3.jpg

I will refer to this glued double sidewall type box as GDS from here on out.

Ballpark Pricing

Now, this is where things get a little convoluted. Basically, they have a sliding scale for prices, and he didn't want to commit to anything until we got further into the design/spec process. This is because they have a base cost for setup to make each new box, and need to cover those costs. If the quantity is small (say, at their minimum of 1,000 units), then the per-box-price can go up, significantly. If the quantity is larger, the per-box-price can come down, significantly. We did not get too much into the weeds on the 43mm boxes (but it's easy enough for them to make if we want them too). We did discuss some very VERY "ballpark" pricing for the 100ct GDS box, and the 200ct GDS box, outlined below.

Lot of 1,000 GDS 100ct: $1.50-$2.00 per box +tax (this is the basic Type 1 Paulson box)
Lot of 5,000 GDS 100ct: $0.70-$0.80 per box +tax (this is the basic Type 1 Paulson box)

Lot of 1,000 GDS 200ct: $2.50+ per box +tax
Lot of 5,000 GDS 200ct: he was not comfortable ballpark pricing this - we'd need to take the design process further to get detailed discount bulk pricing

Notes - the 100ct box is a three piece product (top, bottom, chip "tray"), and the 200ct is a five piece product (top, bottom, 2x chip "tray", divider)

To Summarize

Type 1 GDS 39mm - 100ct
I think 70-cents to 80-cents a box is reasonable, especially since they will be delivered flat, which will save drastically on re-shipping to potential GB members. That said, we would really need to push for the 5,000 lot size to make this cost effective... unless people really want to spend $2.00 per box.

Type 1 GDS 43mm - 100ct
I didn't get too much into the details on pricing this. However, I showed him a 43mm chip, and he indicated it would be very easy for them to match the dimensions for a larger chip. This is MY OWN ballpark, but I'd guess around $0.90-$1.00 per box for a lot of 5,000.

Type 1 GDS 39mm - 200ct
This is also certainly doable, but the issue will be hitting minimums to make it cost effective.

Moving Forward

What's next? I think we need to get interest numbers to see what's feasible. Beyond hitting the 1,000 lot minimum, I think we really need to see if 5,000 or more is possible for one (or more) models to get favorable pricing.

I'm open to input here. Should I open a new thread for people to post desired quantities per type/model?

Please hit me with your suggestions!

Last edited:
Great work, thanks.
For me, the unsolved mystery is, how are you re-shipping these to me? if you can get 10 in a flat rate bubble mailer, that's still gonna double the price, and I have no idea if that's realistic.

Great work, thanks.
For me, the unsolved mystery is, how are you re-shipping these to me? if you can get 10 in a flat rate bubble mailer, that's still gonna double the price, and I have no idea if that's realistic.

I understand your concern. That said, people are currently paying $1.25 plus shipping now for cardboard boxes they aren't 100% thrilled with, right?

If that's the case, then what's $1.00/box plus shipping for a nicer storage solution?

I don't know if this endeavor is necessarily trying to find savings on an apples-to-apples comparison, so much as it is trying to find a nicer box at a similar cost. But that's just my $0.02.

I'm open to input here. Should I open a new thread for people to post desired quantities per type/model?

Please hit me with your suggestions!

Tag/PM the site vendors to see if there's interest at the bulk pricing.

Include places like CPC and GOCC, as well as the retail vendors - you never know who's been looking for a supplier, and if they're looking for this kind of box, you're effectively offering free legwork. They may also have specific design needs which also work for the community, but you only find out by asking.

Anything under$1.50 is a bonus. Similar to racks the more you buy the unit price goes down. Spreading the shipping over 10 may not sound all that great but spread over 50 -100 units it is a great price. Frankly I would spend up to $2 shipped especially when only one chip that I will be protecting costs much more than $1

Last edited:
I understand your concern. That said, people are currently paying $1.25 plus shipping now for cardboard boxes they aren't 100% thrilled with, right?

If that's the case, then what's $1.00/box plus shipping for a nicer storage solution?

I don't know if this endeavor is necessarily trying to find savings on an apples-to-apples comparison, so much as it is trying to find a nicer box at a similar cost. But that's just my $0.02.
More of a question than a concern. That's a fair price. What I meant to say, is will that work? Will they fit in a flat rate bubble mailer, or would they need to go in something bigger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom