Cardboard Chip Boxes Group Buy Help (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oooo... maybe we can get some 200 ct. boxes... found this on a Google Images search for that company!!!

Warneke_smile_folder.jpg

:ROFL: :ROFLMAO::rolleyes::whistle: :whistling::p

Oooo... maybe we can get some 200 ct. boxes... found this on a Google Images search for that company!!!

View attachment 93990

:ROFL: :ROFLMAO::rolleyes::whistle: :whistling::p
200-chip boxes that hold 40 per row (especially with a divider between 'racks') might be super-popular among chippers, I would think. I'd use the crap outta them, and they would be great for shipping.....

Long versions (10 barrels) are less appealing.

200-chip boxes that hold 40 per row (especially with a divider between 'racks') might be super-popular among chippers, I would think. I'd use the crap outta them, and they would be great for shipping.....

I can definitely bring this concept to the table when I drop in. But please clarify, what do you mean by "divider between racks"? Or did you mean divider between barrels?

Reply from David at CPC:

We have them made by an outside company using equipment that we paid for. They have to be made by the ton, which is about 5,200 boxes and fills a pallet. They are flat packed in 100’s.
They cost us 60c each and about 10c shipping in that quantity.

If we had a batch made specially for you it would have to be 5,200 and you could have them for 70c each + the delivery (may be more than 10c each to TX)
If that is too many we could ship them from the factory at 75c each + delivery but not sure what the delivery cost would be as we might not get a discounted pallet rate.

the thicker variety won't fit in a SFRB if they are the same variety i've seen. just something to consider.

I wouldn't let this be a deal breaker. The thicker Type 2 box can be shipped in a padded flat rate envelope (doubled or tripled) for the same price and be better protected.

That's pricier than I would have thought.

The trouble is that for a 'non-standard' box, this is a tiny quantity. These box manufacturers, as pointed out earlier, are geared up to produce the standard sizes like 9x6x6 etc etc which they make by the million. Sure they can make a die (which you either pay them for outright or they build into the cost of your first order) but to then install that for a special order while they could have been making 20,000 of whatever they were doing on that press means they will either charge you a huge price or demand a huge quantity. We can only order them in qty as low as 5,600 because the die already exists.
When I enquired about new boxes for 44mm (as we are just about out of them) we were talking about 10,000qty @ $1.25.

The bigger companies punch out of huge sheets which means you could need 8 dies etc. It's not cheap unless maybe someone finds a small local business that wants work??

I wouldn't let this be a deal breaker. The thicker Type 2 box can be shipped in a padded flat rate envelope (doubled or tripled) for the same price and be better protected.
^^^ This 100%. I don't even use SFRBs anymore as a standalone. I put the chip box in the SFRB (even if not a great fit like Type 2), wrap in a padded envelope, then put in another padded envelope. Usually I put 2 SFRBs in the envelope, allowing me to ship 200 chips very securely for an affordable cost.

I had an opening in my calendar and stopped by Warneke Paper Box this morning. In all honesty, the lady at the front desk wasn't very helpful, and said I would need to call some one to make an appointment since they don't deal with walk-ins.

I said, "well I'm here right now, can I just make an appointment with you?" She said, "no, we're swamped, you'll have to call a sales rep to make an appointment," and then she gave me a rep's card. The entire exchange was very weird, and not welcoming in the slightest.

I got the feeling they only work with corporate sales/distributors... they just didn't seem to want my business or deal with me at all. But I'll make the effort and give the sales rep a call. It may be worth investigating other options in the meantime.

IMG_437.jpg

IMG_435.jpg

I spoke with a rep at Shillington Box (http://www.shillingtonbox.com/) and discussed options for box "Type 1" in OP. In terms of cost, he estimated in the $0.70 range, not including tooling fees and freight. I was planning to send him one of these boxes and ask his people to replicate it.

Unfortunately, I don't have the bandwidth to run a GB and organize a reship of ~10,000 boxes (my low estimate). However, I do have the rep's contact info if someone was willing to organize. Feel free to PM for more details. Thanks!

I spoke with a rep at Shillington Box (http://www.shillingtonbox.com/) and discussed options for box "Type 1" in OP. In terms of cost, he estimated in the $0.70 range, not including tooling fees and freight. I was planning to send him one of these boxes and ask his people to replicate it.

Unfortunately, I don't have the bandwidth to run a GB and organize a reship of ~10,000 boxes (my low estimate). However, I do have the rep's contact info if someone was willing to organize. Feel free to PM for more details. Thanks!

Your problem with Type 1 is that they don't flat pack, so your freight could be as much as the boxes. That's the reason we never had that type of box.

Your problem with Type 1 is that they don't flat pack, so your freight could be as much as the boxes. That's the reason we never had that type of box.
Thanks David. That's a very valid point. I actually don't mind the CPC boxes because I never put a chip box inside a SFRB and ship that alone (and recommend no one should without at least putting the SFRB inside a priority padded envelope). I'd be onboard for about 250 of any type of box.

Well, I just left a message with the sales rep. at Warneke. I kept it very professional to try and encourage a call back. I said I worked with a "gaming token and coin collecting club" and that "our members have custom storage needs for their collectibles." I mentioned we'd be looking for an order of magnitude "in the high four-figure to low five-figure range," and that I would appreciate a call back.

We'll see what happens.

Working with these guys could be beneficial since they are only 15 minutes down the road. We could save quite a bit on the base shipping costs because, theoretically, I could rent a Uhaul, pick up the boxes directly, and reship them out to all GB members from my studio. The reshipping could be brutal, however, due to how much space these boxes take up. But it's better than paying to have pallets delivered to some one, then paying again to reship via USPS.

I'll keep everyone posted.

I unfolded a Type 2 box from CPC and I don't think it would fit flat in a medium or large flat rate box. That is cut out, not counting any outside cardboard that might come with it.

Sigh.

L

I was just googling these and spinettes sells these for 150 each

So I unfolded, a Type 1 box. It's actually 3 pieces, with flaps, perforations, and fold lines/seams that will fold out into 3 flat pieces. It will fold back together, and the seams tuck into the sides to reform the box. The top and bottom piece have a double thick walls on the long sides that seem to be glued down - the double wall makes it sturdier.

If, and this may be a big if, a company could produce the flat cut-outs, with the same seams, perforations, fold lines, etc. the Type 1 boxes could be shipped as 3 separate flat pieces, and just assembled/folded up later.

The longest piece (the top lid) is just over 15 inches long, but if the ends are folded together, the overall length is just under 12 inches.

View media item 10004View media item 10005View media item 10006View media item 10007

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom