Car Buying (1 Viewer)

Price difference? Accident history, condition, mileage on the used? Manufacturer/Dealer incentives on the new?

I am a big fan of buying a couple years old with 10k miles or so on the vehicle. I am not a super knowledgeable person about cars. This system has worked well for me to maximize value and also still have some warranty left to cover your ass.

There might be dealer incentives that make the new vehicle purchase very close to what you might pay for the pre owned, and if you are not paying cash some of the financing rates might even shrink the gap further.

We are pre-approved for $18,000 financed at the following rates:

New: 60 month 2.5%, 72 month 3.15%
Used: 48 month 3.75%, 60 month 4%

There might be dealer incentives that make the new vehicle purchase very close to what you might pay for the pre owned, and if you are not paying cash some of the financing rates might even shrink the gap further.

Yeah the price difference for used is not very much based on what is posted above.

15.7k miles isn't bad on a near-three-year-old car. If you're serious about it, get the VIN and pay for the online accident history check. Don't take the dealer's word for it that it has clean history.

$19000 seems high though. Despite the low milage it's still a 2016. kbb.com has the 2016 S+ at 14K-17K. Haggle them down.

15.7k miles isn't bad on a near-three-year-old car. If you're serious about it, get the VIN and pay for the online accident history check. Don't take the dealer's word for it that it has clean history.

$19000 seems high though. Despite the low milage it's still a 2016. kbb.com has the 2016 S+ at 14K-17K. Haggle them down.

19k is out the door, since taxes in this state are ridiculous. I bluebooked it with the added features (moon roof, etc.) and the price before taxes was right about in the middle.

I asked if they would come down at all and was told no.

I HATE buying cars. So good luck. I'd take the used, but I'm a cheap bastard when it comes to cars. Buy used, drive until wheels fall off. I'm still rocking a 2007 Honda Odyssey minivan.

Consider the relative warranty coverage as well. Given the parameters you've outlined, I wouldn't even consider a 2016.

I am a big fan of buying a couple years old with 10k miles or so on the vehicle. I am not a super knowledgeable person about cars. This system has worked well for me to maximize value and also still have some warranty left to cover your ass.

We just picked up a CPO 2016 with 12k miles and saved just over 40% off the original sticker.

When possible, I like to let someone else take the huge first two year depreciation hit ;)

Of course to make the math work, you have to be saving enough by taking the pre-owned car to make it worth the trade-offs.

We just picked up a CPO 2016 with 12k miles and saved just over 40% off the original sticker.

When possible, I like to let someone else take the huge first two year depreciation hit ;)

Of course to make the math work, you have to be saving enough by taking the pre-owned car to make it worth the trade-offs.

What type of vehicle did you purchase?

Agreed. You have to be saving enough money to make it worth buying used. If I was only saving 2-3k I would probably just buy new.

I haven't shopped around recently but yeah the initial depreciation can be significant.

I hate buying cars in general because I always feel I am being taken for a ride.... and getting milked. We bought a 2015 Sienna a couple years ago and probably stick with that for a long time.

I am the business, and I bought my first "new" vehicle this summer since 2000. I bought a Toyota 4Runner, and the price new was only $1,500 more than a similar trim level pre-owned that was one model year older & with 15k miles.

Many vehicles do depreciate significantly when you first drive them off the lot, but some hold their value pretty well.

It appears the Corolla does, though I would caution to make sure you are looking at the same trim level when comparing prices. Once that is done, it's really up to you if it is worth spending X amount of money to have a greater selection of interior color, exterior color, options, etc (and also have much less miles).

What type of vehicle did you purchase?

2016 BMW 3-series wagon with <12k miles. It was fairly well optioned, original sticker came in just north of 55k. No way I could justify paying anywhere close to that much. At 32k with a CPO warranty, it's at least into the realm of palatable.

In unmistakable chipper mode:
-Drive samples:p
-Save, save and save for a lightly used Porsche, one or two years old. Pity to spend on anything else, since you 're gonna end up buying one in the end.:D
From personal experience.:)

By the way, they hold their value pretty well (especially if you bought them as "jahreswagen" or one-year-olds straight from the dealership) but they 're so fucking sweet (if you love driving) that you can't really sell the goddamn thing, unless really hard-pressed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom