Can anyone help me w information on this chip set? (1 Viewer)

S6T6N6

Reaction score
I found this chip/card set at a local pawn shop listed for cheap. I found similar models listed on eBay from $300-$750, but no information listed. the listings I saw were in way worse condition than the one I have. In fact, I am asking for information because this chip set is in such nice condition it almost feels too good to be true. All Information I have acquired is this set is a 1980's Abercrombie & Fitch set.

4185D30C-E45C-4F86-A5F5-841BBB47A7CD.jpeg

15c/chip plastic injection-molded unicorns marketed under a fancy name.

Looks like the unicorn mold on the chips... Are the chips hotstamped ?
+1 in the probable unicorn mold. Most “branded” poker chip sets (minus a few) use cheap chips to keep the cost down while using their brand name to justify jacking the price up.

Just remember it’s not what they’re listed for that’s relevant, just what they sell for (no AE sets sold on eBay for the last 3 months).

Those look like clay unicorns, as opposed to the more typical plastic unicorns. The plastic unicorns are great for plastic chips, but if these are in fact clay, you may have found yourself a nice bargain. The case looks very nice.

The breakdown isn’t great, but workable for a small cash game, maybe 4-6 players.

Last edited:
15c/chip plastic injection-molded unicorns marketed under a fancy name.
The edges of the plastic unicorns from GOCC are slightly rounded and shiny. Those look more like the clay ones, unless there’s a third variant I’m not aware of.

BB7BF2ED-3C64-4BAC-9249-0B4B9C33996F.jpeg

Looks like injection molds except the greens oddly enough... not just the lack of a dot but also the bulls tail shape. Thoughts @Davism72 ?

Injection spot on the green chip could be in the back side?
Definitely a possibility but the tail shape on the green is another indicator they could be clay (don’t ask why I know that :bag:) and the other set on eBay also doesn’t show an injection spot so here’s to hoping against hope they splurged on the green:D

View attachment 461104
Looks like injection molds except the greens oddly enough... not just the lack of a dot but also the bulls tail shape. Thoughts @Davism72 ?
Good eye! The tail is key.

Unfortunately, I'd guess they're all plastic. While I saw the more rounded tail and longer legs on all of the clay unicorns I've seen, those traits also exist on the plastic variety. What was far more rare (maybe nonexistant) was seeing the crimped tail and stubby legs common to the plastic ones on the clay variety.

Did any of that make sense?

Regardless, the plastic ones don't suck. I have a bunch I've been meaning to offload if you'd like to talk about it @S6T6N6.

The edges of the plastic unicorns from GOCC are slightly rounded and shiny. Those look more like the clay ones, unless there’s a third variant I’m not aware of.
Chipco first produced the Unicorn chips. Do you know when A&F released these sets? Unless it was during a very narrow window of clay unicorn chip production (1986-1987, post-Burt and pre-ASM), then they are most likely plastic.

Thank you guys for all of the feedback! I'm not sure if these images will help concrete these statements. Fortunately, I am not seeking value out of the set, as I am new to the poker world and this is my first set. I would love to keep it around and teach my kids how to play with them! Thanks again for all the help!

65C358E1-0747-401E-A139-4CB81465E795.jpeg
2E842C22-406B-4174-A5B5-0B34FAC03C63.jpeg

I found this chip/card set at a local pawn shop listed for cheap. I found similar models listed on eBay from $300-$750, but no information listed. the listings I saw were in way worse condition than the one I have. In fact, I am asking for information because this chip set is in such nice condition it almost feels too good to be true. All Information I have acquired is this set is a 1980's Abercrombie & Fitch set.

View attachment 461031
I have no idea what those are

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom