Building a poker cave (1 Viewer)

boeller

Pair
Reaction score
Hey everyone, i'm Stefan from Germany (near munich) and a lurker to this forum. I really enjoy the various threads about your home games and your dedicated room's for it.

As i am building a house at the moment, i want to try to get myself a own poker/men cave. I figuered i'd create a thread about it and maybe get a few hints or suggestions on this journey.

The men cave will be located in the basement and will be around 23 qm (240 to 250 american sqft ?)

(ignore the notes i just didnt have another pictures at hand, just noted a few things for the electricity)

The next 2-4 weeks we are adding white wall decor, pavement and the underfloor heating. Our goal is to move in in october.

As a floor i decided to use wood optic tile - i choose the botten design of the picture

As a beginning i already bought a used table i found on an eBay listing for 130 € (~145 dollars) with those 8 chairs. I think it was a really great deal. Those chairs are in a really good condition besides 2 of them which were used by the before owner on a more regular basis than the others. But i think those chairs arent that great for a long evening so i think i will sell them for 5-10€ each after trying it once. The table is in really good condition. and is stored in a dry basement while i prepare everything.

I heavily prefer an assigned dealer i'm in search of a chair that suits the need of the task. Something like this, but im not really happy with this one:

Any suggestions for an affordable and comfortable one?

Another thing i am looking into atm is lighting this whole thing. I got 2 seperate controlable ceiling lamp outlets. For the table part i'd had something like this in mind:

Do you have any go to lamp for your room?

Very nice plans. Would be great to play a game if you are done. I could bring my chipset!

The dealer chair should be really comfortable.
Something like this, but more classy:
View attachment 309804

Well i got this one

but i thought a stool without wheels would be better than a regular chair with wheels. But open for suggestions.

You and your chipset will be among the first on the guestlist. :)

Those chairs look nice and comfortable but my concern would be that they take up a lot of space around the table. Getting 10 chairs to fit around the table may be an issue.

I have two tables and I use two different types of chairs... 8 of them are padded banquet chairs that have held up well over the years... https://www.bizchair.com/FD-C01-S-2-GG.html. I'm sure you can find something similar by searching Google for 'stackable banquet chairs' or something similar.

I also us these office chairs from Costco - very comfortable for a long session. They're a little wider than the banquet chairs but getting them around the table isn't an issue. https://www.costco.com/Bayside-Furnishings-Metrex-IV-Mesh-Office-Chair.product.100427526.html

Best of luck - be sure to post progress pics!

Hi Stefan,
Looks like you are off to a great start. If you want an assigned dealer then I suggest taking the time to find a comfortable chair. The pic in your OP will not be comfortable for sitting in for long periods of time. Just as a heads up many people just play "pass the deck" where each person takes a turn dealing the cards. This might be a pain in the beginning but once people learn to deal it actually works just fine.

One important thing for a poker room is having a bathroom nearby. If it works within your plan try to have a bathroom closeby as people will be recycling those beers. Speaking of beers it is also handy to have a fridge or beer on tap close to the playing area.

Good luck and let us know if you have any more specific questions.
What chips are you using?!

Those chairs look nice and comfortable but my concern would be that they take up a lot of space around the table. Getting 10 chairs to fit around the table may be an issue.

I have two tables and I use two different types of chairs... 8 of them are padded banquet chairs that have held up well over the years... https://www.bizchair.com/FD-C01-S-2-GG.html. I'm sure you can find something similar by searching Google for 'stackable banquet chairs' or something similar.

I also us these office chairs from Costco - very comfortable for a long session. They're a little wider than the banquet chairs but getting them around the table isn't an issue. https://www.costco.com/Bayside-Furnishings-Metrex-IV-Mesh-Office-Chair.product.100427526.html

Best of luck - be sure to post progress pics!

Thanks Mike, those banquet chairs are a really reasonable option, there are plenty in eBay listings in a driveable distance here. Will take them to the notes for future planning.

Hi Stefan,
Looks like you are off to a great start. If you want an assigned dealer then I suggest taking the time to find a comfortable chair. The pic in your OP will not be comfortable for sitting in for long periods of time. Just as a heads up many people just play "pass the deck" where each person takes a turn dealing the cards. This might be a pain in the beginning but once people learn to deal it actually works just fine.

One important thing for a poker room is having a bathroom nearby. If it works within your plan try to have a bathroom closeby as people will be recycling those beers. Speaking of beers it is also handy to have a fridge or beer on tap close to the playing area.

Good luck and let us know if you have any more specific questions.
What chips are you using?!

Yeah, that whole assigned dealer thing is because my old home game is a very casual group that doesnt want to research anything - just have a good time, play and drink. So i deal and everybody is happy. Maybe this will be changed when the home game is on a more regular basis than now.

The bathroom and the exit for "smoking breaks" is just upstairs without additional doors or whatever.

My plan for the rooms is to get a few bigger commodes as surface for some snacks (drawer for poker equipment) and a fridge for beer and other drinks.
Already got a big couch that is still in good shape and 2 tvs for blind timers or as background noise for cash games.

I lack good chips atm - already in contact with @DerberAlter for advice. But i wont buy anything before the room is almost done. So plenty of time for finding a good option. At the moment i got some laser metal chips.

The white wall decor is done in around 3/4 of the house now. Should be done by wednesday. Next step -> underfloor heating.

Well i got this one
View attachment 309826

but i thought a stool without wheels would be better than a regular chair with wheels. But open for suggestions.

You and your chipset will be among the first on the guestlist. :)

A friend ordered 2 custom tables from BBO and these chairs for each. He can fit 9 chairs at each table and that is tight. No chance for 10.

A friend ordered 2 custom tables from BBO and these chairs for each. He can fit 9 chairs at each table and that is tight. No chance for 10.

The table is 2,34m * 1,12m or around 92 * 44 inch - i also think 10 people would be too much for it. The table has no cupholders, so i will try to get a few shelfs around the table. With this additionally moving space there will be even less space per chair - i hope 9 is okish, but we will see when everything is set up.

Thank you @Rhodeman77 but I think i will get some banquet chairs for my players and only the dealer gets a special one.

IMG_8128.JPG
95D0FF10-C6D7-42E8-81CC-6244F1654CEA.jpeg

The wall decor is now done on the whole house. The floor insulation has been done and the floor heating was added yesterday.

I created the room into some online roomplaner - nothing fancy just to get an idea of how much space everything is taking (spoiler: a lot more than i thought)

Raum 1.jpg
Raum 2.jpg
Raum 3.jpg
Pokerraum.png

I may think about changing my tables feet. Folding feet with those pile chairs may be a good option to use the room for other things aswell.

What type of wall finishing is that, something like a plaster or stucco directly over the concrete? Just curious as both a homeowner and engineer, we typcially see all timber framed walls with sheetrock, I'm curious what they do overseas.

It's plaster yes (lime cement mortar) directly on the concrete or the bricks on the inside walls. Sheetrock would be an option, a friend did this in his basement, you just lose a bit of space.

When I did a project in Norway they would put a paint primed wallpaper up over all sheetrock walls. Then paint the walls. The wallpaper almost always had a dimensinal texture pattern. Only time I ever saw it.

floor screed is now done - the next 4 weeks there will be almost nothing been done except for ventilate.

I upgraded my chips a bit. Nothing too fancy but a good upgrade from the laser chips IMO.

IMG_8188.JPG

We got some new progress. The room is now painted (only a few other rooms need to be painted) and the tiles are now on the floor. Tomorrow i will add the skirting board (strange word) - the small row of tiles on the wall - and close the gaps in the tiles. The room is then ready to get it's furniture.(as soon as i got time for it :()
32AA3313-F25F-4B3A-BD7D-566F0649EE61.jpeg

We also get electrity tomorrow, yay.

i bought 9 new chairs for 17$ each.

s-l1600.jpg

Hope to get my first game started in 4-6 weeks.

Hmmm. We'd just call that the baseboard what ever the material.
Sounds much better, skirting board was printed on the cover.

My furniture are now in the house, i hope i can rerange everything the next one or two weeks to finaly move in.

My personal highlight was ofc the poker table that took place on his new spot. Tryed to place him the furthest to the wall. Another round table would be possible next to it, a full size doesnt work.

IMG_9094.JPG

Now i need to hunt a few side boards, as soon i got some spare time. A 50' tv is already bought. :)

I try to upgrade my chips aswell. I have two options in mind.

1) i really like the Majestics, but i'm a litte stubborn to pay 160$ only for shipping and import taxes. I may be able to get a friend to take some with him from vegas.

2) @CellarDoor85 was kind enough to ship me a sample of his chips

I played around with some online logo designer and the chip designer based on the colors of the sample chips.

What do you think about those 3 sets?

Design 1
Download Set 3.png

Design 2
Download Set 2.png

Design 3 (the blue would be 25ct not 25€)
Download.png

Finaly i will be able to host my first game (NL10 with 10 players) in my new house tomorrow.
The furniture aren't inside the room yet, but i think we will be fine for a good start.
IMG_3243.JPG
IMG_3247.JPG

I did decide to buy a majestic cash set instead of the custom CCs. Already got a few here, 500 more are on their way atm and a friend will get me 300 more in a few weeks from vegas.
IMG_3249.JPG
IMG_3251.JPG

For tomorrow @DerberAlter will provide his fantastic mixed paulson set.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom