Brand new to poker chip design, Microsoft word?? (1 Viewer)

Salbino

High Hand
Reaction score
I’ve been using Microsoft word to create poker chip images and then saving them as pdf. Is this a waste of time? I was thinking of like buying illustrator for a month to make a legit design.

Eh, designing is all about trying new things! Keep splashing around, but if you're trying to actually make images you can use, yes, Word is much tougher to work with and is probably a waste.

Keep looking around and finding designs/colors/chips you like, don't start paying for something just yet.

Eh, designing is all about trying new things! Keep splashing around, but if you're trying to actually make images you can use, yes, Word is much tougher to work with and is probably a waste.

Keep looking around and finding designs/colors/chips you like, don't start paying for something just yet
Right on. Yeah it’s real tough to work with making text boxes and images overlay and line up and matching colors and stuff

If it works, it works. I have used PowerPoint.
Right on! My biggest complaint with Word is that you can't do much with graphics, at least I can't. Do people use deisngers? I was recommended someone by BR Pro Poker but he was like $150+ which is why I started messing around myself. But now I am thinking maybe it's worth it to pay to have a base/logo created that I can work off of in the future.

I've designed a number of sets and buttons and highly recommend using Adobe Illustrator. It's important to use a vector-based app (Inkscape is another), because it will produce print-ready art that any production facility can readily use. It also has the ability to produce CMYK color files that most printers require (not sure Inkscape has this ability).

Right on! My biggest complaint with Word is that you can't do much with graphics, at least I can't. Do people use deisngers? I was recommended someone by BR Pro Poker but he was like $150+ which is why I started messing around myself. But now I am thinking maybe it's worth it to pay to have a base/logo created that I can work off of in the future.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer to use Adobe Illustrator, because it's highly intuitive and I progressed fast on my chip designs without using a lot of tutorials. But I don't have access to a free version of it. Manufacturers generally prefer to have design files in .ai format, too.

GIMP for the win
Gimp is an image editor, which means it is raster-based. It is resolution dependent, which can be troublesome for chip design.
Vector software like Adobe Illustrator and Inkscape are far better at creating scalable graphics that print sharp, regardless of resolution, and produce better flat colors.

I use Curve for vector stuff, it’s easier and more reliable than Inkscape. Unfortunately, it looks like the team is trying to monitize their work (I know, right?). They’re keeping a free basic option, but not sure if it will be limited or as-is.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom