• This site contains affiliate links. If you choose to make a purchase after clicking a link, Poker Chip Forum may receive a commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!

Not Mine Big set of Paulson Startbursts on eBay (1 Viewer)

allforcharity

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
ah, the major difference that a simple typo, auto-correct, or reading too quickly can make. :)

white look very bright, and the blue looks like royal blue !!

Jeez, the way prices are going maybe I should sell all of mine and start over with a custom ASM set... But I love the feel of the Paulson home chips way too much.

Wondering what this color is... In the first pic they look kind of like Forest Green, but in this closeup they tend more toward maybe Indian Blue.

greenchips.jpg

Is $1200 reasonable? I understand that if it gets there, one could argue fair market value, but since I’m new here, what historically have starbursts gone for?

Is $1200 reasonable? I understand that if it gets there, one could argue fair market value, but since I’m new here, what historically have starbursts gone for?

Starbursts can fluctuate; I've seen them go from $0.80 a chip to $1.50 a chip, depending on color and condition. Looks like these might push $2.00 a chip. While that is a little higher than I'd expect, it's not totally surprising given the current market (historically, prices/valuations are up).

This set also comes with documentation from the Paulson store, which is a huge bonus. Collectors like to see provenance of chip sets, and what this seller is including is rather rare. A Paulson Picking Ticket? That alone might be worth a few fundred bucks if included with the set that was "picked."

I PM'd the seller on eBay for additional information on the documents that are included, and this is what was sent to me...

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

This info puts the "never used" comment in question, as some one clearly had a spreadsheet put together for starting chip stacks. But I don't think that's a big deal, as they appear to be in in great condition.

Tricky question. Starburst value varies based on condition (like all chips) but also significantly by color.
You don't see mint starbursts too often, so your starting point for all of them is north of a buck a chip.
I'd guess the whites are worth $1.25 - $1.50 apiece, The yellows $2-$2.25 apiece and the blues and the greens somewhere in between?
So $1,000 to $1200 seems about right to me. But I'm just spit-balling.

what historically have starbursts gone for?

Well, last year I would have said about a buck a chip. This year I’d say 1.25 pushing 1.50. Even more for mint condition and great colors.

As a data point, some sucker just paid 2 bucks per chip for a rack of fuchsia ones on eBay this week.

Worth it.
:)

There’s a recent thread about Starburst prices... I’d say over the past year, prices typically range from 50 cents to $1.25 each, with the occasional outliers on either end. The variation seems to depends on the color first, and then condition. Mint Royal Blues might go for as much as 3-4 times dirty Off Whites that are all dinged up. Rarer and more intense colors seem to go for as much as 2-3 times what you’d get for more common ones.

Thread:

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/paulson-starburst-prices.26812/

Last edited:
The other thing which is a weird factor is quantity. In my buying/selling experience over the past year, very small and very large lots tend to see discounts, though with definite exceptions if something is especially choice about them...

With an odd lot of less than 20, the chips may not have much value except to someone who already has that color and is just trying to round their collection up to even numbers. So that may limit the audience for the sale.

Sell too many at a time, and people are going to start expecting a volume discount, unless it is a particularly complete set. A large set with enough of 4 or 5 colors to make a game is one thing... A large lot with a bunch of random colors and quantities spinners, overprints and roulette chips mixed in has less immediate utility IMHO and should command a lower price. (It’s sometimes difficult to get a true accounting of what is hidden in those yummy-looking barrels before buying.)

I’d say selling them one rack at a time seems to bring the highest prices, if they are a desirable color. But then that’s a lot more work for the seller.

Haven’t even gotten into shipping costs... Which are all over the map.

Last edited:
This set also comes with documentation from the Paulson store, which is a huge bonus. Collectors like to see provenance of chip sets, and what this seller is including is rather rare. A Paulson Picking Ticket? That alone might be worth a few fundred bucks if included with the set that was "picked."

Interesting that Paulson seems to have referred to these as “cancelled” chips rather than Starbursts... even though they appear to have been sold mint, i.e. there was nothing underneath to cancel. I guess that terminology just meant “not getting a label or custom stamp,” and derived from the separate use of the Starburst to cover old stamps.

This info puts the "never used" comment in question, as some one clearly had a spreadsheet put together for starting chip stacks. But I don't think that's a big deal, as they appear to be in in great condition.

Maybe the hope of hosting a game was just notional. Seems sometimes these home sets got bought and then just sat on a sideboard... Much like the ping-pong table which gets used for one summer in the garage, then the kids forget about it.

Yes, as I said above, the term is “derived from the separate use of the Starburst to cover old stamps.”

But what is interesting from the original bill is that Paulson apparently referred to Starbursts as “cancelled” chips even when there was nothing underneath to cancel, and the chips were brand new.

FWIW, looks like these went for $1,075. Can’t recall if shipping was included.

I was tempted, given the value of the Royal Blues and Yellows and the documentation, but ultimately couldn’t justify it. There’s what I need... vs. what I just covet. But if someone here scooped these up, I’d love to hear if there are any more company details in the materials included.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom