Best mobile case - city living (1 Viewer)

Esection

Two Pair
Reaction score
I have the only real nice set of chips among my friends - they all use the dice chip variety but enjoy playing with my clay set. I'd like to find a backpack or bag that I could easily transport 700-1k chips.

I'm looking for a very specific solution. I've seen all the Pelican cases, which look great, but I live in a major city where most people don't own cars.

It would be sort of strange for me to roll into work with any sort of case, Pelican, briefcase, aluminum or otherwise.

Ideally there is a solution that exists already but am also open to pulling together a few different pieces.

Requirements:

- hold 700-1k chips
- not look like a poker chip case or otherwise stick out
- not allow chips to move around and create noise

Any thoughts?

What are you doing now?
I ask because you must know how heavy 1000 chips are - or maybe you don't?
Can you make do with fewer chips? Something closer to 600 might be more manageable weight-wise and volume-wise, if you're looking at a waking around the city with a backpack type of solution.

Don't have a solution at the moment. Would be fine with 500-600 also.

@SemiNumerical yes! Next week is bad since I'm traveling but the week after.

Also, should I be storing chips loose in that grey foam stuff or if plastic cases with covers?

I've been initially looking at either ammo/tactical backpacks or photography backpacks.

Unless you're bringing cash and tourney sets, you'll rarely need more than 600 chips. Here's a decent solution for NYC that doesn't scream "poker chip case":

A heavy canvas boat bag from LL Bean with the zipper-close top and 6 (or more) of the 4x25 plastic chip racks with lids.

The bag is virtually indestructible and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. Also, comfortable to carry.

That said, I just bought a rolling Pelican 1510 case for this situation. Should hold my tourney set and cash set at the same time, but mostly I'll only use one or the other.

And that way I can bring my chips to the next game!

If you carry 1000 chips, you will need a sturdy case. Gym bag-type bags can handle 400-600 chips, but after that, you need a sturdier bag. I use a Bulldog range bag to carry up to 800 chips, but I'm only carrying them from my car to the host's house. I wouldn't want to walk very far with them. If I need 1000 or more, I definitely carry my Pelican and you can roll it. I've only had to roll it as far as a block, but it's not hard to roll at all and could be rolled a long way.

Small Pelican case. Approx $60.

6A1F4728-9C51-40E2-BFCF-893306A502E7.jpeg

Last edited:
Resurrecting this thread,

Not sure if having a fishing backpack would be any less conspicuous
https://www.tackleexpress.com/products/shimano-blackmoon-fishing-backpacks
There are fishing backpacs that have internal compartments for tackleboxes that resemble racks.
You might be able to do the same thing but with the covered chip racks/boxes.
Not sure if those types of backpacks can handle the weight. I think the small Pelican case/covered rack option I went with makes the most sense. If you would prefer to be more inconspicuous, get an LL Bean canvas boat bag with a zipper top, and either carry the Pelican inside that or just carry the covered racks.

6CE32113-03C6-4895-93E6-813C0BA3CC55.jpeg

Last edited:
I would also suggest looking more at the luggage dept than the backpack dept. I've seen people on planes with carry on soft side luggage that looks sturdy enough that it won't fall apart with the weight you will be carrying. Oh and the other disadvantage of a backpack, based on my one experience, is that I threw it over my shoulder to test this...in between the weight and the sharp edges of the plastic boxes I used to hold the chips inside, it was a painful experience...

I’m a guitarist. A medium-sized pedalboard can easily weigh 20 lbs. or more. Mono makes really nice padded bags and backpacks for pedalboards—the nicest in the market that I know of. Also, Line 6 makes a backpack for their Helix board, that’s approximately 22x12. It’s built very well and comfortable to carry on your back. The Helix bag will be $150.

Last edited:
I'd suggest a USGI Alice Pack with Support Shelf. Then, grab a couple .50 caliber ammo cans and stuff your chips in there. Strap the ammo cans to your pack on the support shelf and head into battle. In an urban environment, you will fit right in!

I would think @gopherblue 's idea of using covered racks inside ordinary luggage is best. I would look at the backpacks that are also roller boards. Carry it into work as a backpack but use the rollers on the subway.

Not sure why he doesn't want to use a pelican case, but it looks like he's got many options for carrying chips if he doesn't want to look like a secret service agent carrying the presidents football. He can look like a fisherman heading to the lake, a musician on his way to a gig, an urban assault hiker, a mother bringing her kids boating, a traveler lost in the city. Hopefully he's found a suitable persona to use in the 2 years since he asked.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom