Travel case examples (2 Viewers)

horseshoez

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
Looking to pull the trigger on a case that’ll safely transport up to 1200 chips. Wanted to see if the guys out there who owned some of the larger cases with wheels can post their pics as examples. Cases like the Nanuk 935, Nanuk 950, Pelican 1535, Apache 9800, and the like. I’m leaning heavily towards a case with wheels because it feels safer and is a lot more convenient to travel with.

Couple things I’m looking for are,

1) Best way to store/stack the chips inside to keep them from moving around. I have all my chips in Apache cases with lids but I have a stash of Paulson racks. Want to compare options and see if it makes more sense transferring them to Paulson’s when they’re in there.

2) Ideally want to try and keep one layer of racks if I can in order to avoid stacking them up inside the case but I’m not completely opposed to layering. Just want to see examples of what guys have done, as well as where they plucked the foam for cards and buttons.

I know that there are a bunch of threads out there that have the information asked for above, however it’s quite scattered and though I’d open this up for a discussion specifically for transporting 1000-1200 chips.

Any pics and/or tips would be really helpful. Big thanks to everyone in advance!

Does it have to be one big case with wheels? How about two smaller ones, like two Versa 600?

Recently I traveled (10 minute drive away to the next town) with 1300 chips: 800 in a Nanuk 915, 400 in a Nanuk 910, and 100 in a Warneke box.

You can find some deals on gun cases on FB marketplace. It's big, but there's no stacking chips and will be padded on every end once I cut the other foam included. It's not on wheels, but it's not that heavy for me at least. I almost got a Cabela case new with wheels for $50, but it was slightly bigger than I wanted. It could have fitted all the chips, cards, and a topper. Looking back I probably should have that one, but the one I have has more foam padding and slightly smaller. Having topper separated is beneficial too. I still have two cases of I want to split them, but having all in one is nice. For $40 it's not bad.
PXL_20220701_080155233.jpg

(I have another foam layer to make cut outs to keep them snug, but haven't determined the final layout yet to make the cut. Also it's already kind of snug without the extra layer as shown in pic. I actually did a stress test by shaking the case by the handle and the handle broke (cheap thin alloy hinges for handle). Chips were fine, but I recommend having another layer to ensure they are really snug. Made a DIY handle replacement.)

There's also some case with wheels on Alibaba that have decent pricing, but haven't tried them out before.

Last edited:
I saw this in another thread! I just got home after buying the 4800. Want to experiment with it. What’s the inside look under the chips?
A piece of foam, not thick, covering the whole bottom. I added a 9/16 inch thick board between said foam piece and the plastic bottom. It props up the chips that little bit to help the top foam secure everything while it is closed. The case loaded down is kinda heavy, but it never once gave me any trouble

A piece of foam, not thick, covering the whole bottom. I added a 9/16 inch thick board between said foam piece and the plastic bottom. It props up the chips that little bit to help the top foam secure everything while it is closed. The case loaded down is kinda heavy, but it never once gave me any trouble
I still plan to do a full post at some point as I was just texting another chipper how to set up a 4800 for 1k chips, without the added foam you can go 3 layers deep and fit 2,100 chips in a case. If they are all leaded the case with racks and everything is about 60 pounds. Lol

I still plan to do a full post at some point as I was just texting another chipper how to set up a 4800 for 1k chips, without the added foam you can go 3 layers deep and fit 2,100 chips in a case. If they are all leaded the case with racks and everything is about 60 pounds. Lol
Well if you go three deep you don't need the board to prop up the chips, but the sheer weight of all the chips would make wonder what fails first from carrying it the handle of the case or my ass gasket from lifting something that heavy. It's a double edged sword. Either the handle breaks putting the chips at risk, or the smell from you filling the back side of your drawers will ensure you never have enough players to need that many chips at one time ever again. Can't say I recommend either scenario.

Well if you go three deep you don't need the board to prop up the chips, but the sheer weight of all the chips would make wonder what fails first from carrying it the handle of the case or my ass gasket from lifting something that heavy. It's a double edged sword. Either the handle breaks putting the chips at risk, or the smell from you filling the back side of your drawers will ensure you never have enough players to need that many chips at one time ever again. Can't say I recommend either scenario.
You have seen me move these cases and absolutely zero issues thus far with anything breaking
20220626_144420.jpg

Zero problems with my "o ring" thus far either... but I am a PT lumber Jack, I throw and split 250 LB logs on the reg... a 60 pound case is not a big deal, even two at a time... other than my broken back feels it the next day.

The cases for last year's ME were 3 stacks deep.
171A4143-FCA3-4A65-BBF4-1D06845F1D00.jpeg.jpg

20210110_141829.jpg

2,100 in each of the center cases.

Hey Ben, your cases look awesome man! I would love to hear more about how you set these up both for double and the triple layers and see what they look like inside without chips to see what kind of padding or whatever might be needed under or between racks. Would also be curious what model the smaller Apache boxes are and how many chips they are set up to hold. Do you have a preferred source or vendor that you would recommend? Thank you!

Decided to grab a Apache 4800 and try it with a 1000pc set and just as shown in other threads, really works nicely using two rows of five. Big thanks to @Ben8257 for giving me some tips on the best way to set it up otherwise I’d have butchered the foam haha

As for a 1200 chip setup, sure two cases of 600 is on the safer side but I just have the itch to go out there and grab a Pelican 1535 Air or something similar and roll it around the same way I would a carry-on for traveling. The other thing I keep thinking about is storing 1000-1200 in one layer. Cases that are wide or long enough to accommodate that without requiring the bed of a pickup truck to haul it :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Added a DB cutout rather than putting the DB in vertically. I thought it would add to the appeal by seeing the DB for whatever set is being transported at the time.

C3E2FA88-2D39-40B8-87AC-42ADA9702AD3.jpeg

Decided to grab a Apache 4800 and try it with a 1000pc set and just as shown in other threads, really works nicely using two rows of five. Big thanks to @Ben8257 for giving me some tips on the best way to set it up otherwise I’d have butchered the foam haha

As for a 1200 chip setup, sure two cases of 600 is on the safer side but I just have the itch to go out there and grab a Pelican 1535 Air or something similar and roll it around the same way I would a carry-on for traveling. The other thing I keep thinking about is storing 1000-1200 in one layer. Cases that are wide or long enough to accommodate that without requiring the bed of a pickup truck to haul it :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Added a DB cutout rather than putting the DB in vertically. I thought it would add to the appeal by seeing the DB for whatever set is being transported at the time.

View attachment 969308
Looks like a great setup!

Did you ever do this post @Ben8257 ?

image.jpg

For three layers, do you take out the bottom layer of foam and set the racks on the case plastic?

Thanks

Mud

View attachment 1012155
For three layers, do you take out the bottom layer of foam and set the racks on the case plastic?

Thanks

Mud
Are you going three all the way across? If not, what I did was add the insulation board at the very bottom as Ben instructs, but I made a cut out for the one stack I had with three layers, put the cut out foam from the next (bottom foam piece) layer in that hole, and then they all line up pretty perfectly on top of that.

FD27F744-5277-4A21-86CD-52DE561DFB0B.jpeg
8583B024-8A05-4937-B3FF-F73582173085.jpeg
F98352CE-507A-4E4F-860E-E8C64E70A8DE.jpeg
EB3FDEC9-DB42-48D2-BABA-C92606C1D583.jpeg

Are you going three all the way across? If not, what I did was add the insulation board at the very bottom as Ben instructs, but I made a cut out for the one stack I had with three layers, put the cut out foam from the next (bottom foam piece) layer in that hole, and then they all line up pretty perfectly on top of that.

View attachment 1012167View attachment 1012168View attachment 1012169View attachment 1012170

I am trying to put 1200 in 4 rows of 3 racks tall. Chipco racks with 39mm chips. I thought the added layer was if you were going 2 deep.

Thanks

Mud

I am trying to put 1200 in 4 rows of 3 racks tall. Chipco racks with 39mm chips. I thought the added layer was if you were going 2 deep.

Thanks

Mud
Just setting them on the solid foam layer on the bottom should work then.

You have seen me move these cases and absolutely zero issues thus far with anything breaking
View attachment 968949
Zero problems with my "o ring" thus far either... but I am a PT lumber Jack, I throw and split 250 LB logs on the reg... a 60 pound case is not a big deal, even two at a time... other than my broken back feels it the next day.

The cases for last year's ME were 3 stacks deep.
View attachment 968952
View attachment 968953
2,100 in each of the center cases.
Are these apache? impressive. I have the 3800, what are the larger ones?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom