BCC inlay manufacturing process (1 Viewer)

ThinkingFold

Flush
Reaction score
Looking over my latest Protege's, I am curious as to if anyone has any information on their inlay manufacturing process? I understand the to be expected minor differences between chip runs, but BCC seems to have taken it to another level.

Was their process that much different than Paulson and CPC or is that just a case of lack of effort on their part?

I think the lack of QC at BCC was taken to a new low level with some of the Proteges.

If I recall correctly, a ton of inconsistent inlay printing that I don't think had anything to do with pressing them into the chips. Blurry printing, different shades of colors, etc.

Also, I believe there was alot of ghost mold issues with this chip line. I think it had to do with the cigar and snifter mold in general though. But since CT is dead I can't look back to any of the old discussions.

unlike other options...when you love BCC, you have to

- pay premium for some of the awsome sets they made (most are locked up and mostly not for sale)
- buy twice the chips you want or need and start sorting, trading, hunting, ... untill all flaws are worked out

In both cases you will end with an awsome cash/tourney set that can rival some of the best Paulson sets out there (espec. in bang for the buck)

I seem to recall large artwork setup fees for BCC, because they had to make like this "photo negative" for etching the artwork onto the inlay material. New artwork, new "photo negative" required.

I seem to recall large artwork setup fees for BCC, because they had to make like this "photo negative" for etching the artwork onto the inlay material. New artwork, new "photo negative" required.

That sounds familiar. I think they had artwork setup fees for every inlay design (different denoms didn't count as a different inlay) and just 1 per chip fee for any edgespot design. So color matched inlays cost a fortune at BCC. But any elaborate edgespot didn't cost extra.

I'm guessing punching and assembling edge spots in their process was equally time consuming no matter which pattern was being used.

So logical :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Ps. congrats on picking up those 2 barrels of purple MGK's ;)

I wish! Seller didn't want to split up the chips. Well, I guess technically he was willing but he quoted me the full price of all the chips for just those 2 barrels. Maybe for the best as I couldn't really put just 2 barrels in play and then would have to search for even more!

I am curious as to if anyone has any information on their inlay manufacturing process?
From what I have surmised, Protege are particularly prone to these problems because they were manufactured in large numbers, at multiple locations in parallel, with little oversight. I can't speak to the process itself, but these factors can combine in strongly negative ways.

I believe there was alot of ghost mold issues with this chip line.
I suppose it depends on how you define a lot, but in my experience it's a fairly small number. It's most common on the secondary denominations (5¢, 10¢, $10, $20, etc) that had a single production run. Of all the flaws BCC chips can have, ghost molds is probably the one I consider least concerning.

I don’t own any Protégés but I do own Inplays, also on the cigar and snifter mold. Most of the QC issues I’ve noticed with these chips are ovalish inlays.
Despite these issues, to me the Inplays and Protégés are some of the nicest chips ever created IMO. I realize to some the imperfections can be “tilting” and undesirable but to me, it’s part of what gives these sets their mystique.
When it comes to sound, feel, splash and ease of shuffling, no other chip compares to BCC IMO.

I don’t own any Protégés but I do own Inplays, also on the cigar and snifter mold. Most of the QC issues I’ve noticed with these chips are ovalish inlays.
Despite these issues, to me the Inplays and Protégés are some of the nicest chips ever created IMO. I realize to some the imperfections can be “tilting” and undesirable but to me, it’s part of what gives these sets their mystique.
When it comes to sound, feel, splash and ease of shuffling, no other chip compares to BCC IMO.
Shh, I'm trying to keep BCC's under the radar so I have a chance at some more without the market exploding for them!

Shh, I'm trying to keep BCC's under the radar so I have a chance at some more without the market exploding for them!

It's obvious that since most TRK's became very expensive & hard to find, BCC has become the next thing if all Paulson craving is (temporary) fulfilled.
They do have one thing in common with TRK...once you found a nice set, you only want more.

And while there is steady flow of new Paulson chips...we have to do with what's out there.
I expect prices going up... $1.5-$2/chip for Proteges (with shaped & color matched inlays) when classics or NPS sell for $3/chip ?

Good thing not many BCC samples are going around :)

I love BCC chips even if some of their inlays are shaped like this.
3556A2EA-800E-47C0-9064-F1854D000B01.jpeg

The quality control issues were huge with BCC. I love the Samurai Palace and Inplays. There was color problems with base chips. Different edge spot colors, inlays were all fucked up, ect.....Still, they made some awesome chips. When they get it right, they nailed it.

My old SP set had three different base colors on the ones. THREE different colors of blue. On top of that there were two different edge spot colors. Some were gray. Some were white.

Love the BCCs. I own both cigar and snifter mold and flame mold sets. The snifters have shaped inlays so they definitely feel different but both are excellent. They are awesome and definitely improve with usage. Nothing like some BCCs that have been broken in over the years in a regular home game. Every time I see a BCC set for sale I consider buying it. My only concern is warping if they were stored improperly. I like the jacked up inlays and even different varieties of chips. Best playable sets around for those scared to use your “minty” chips.

I look at it as part of what gives them character. I realize to some it will tilt, but if one is capable of getting beyond that, they are absolutely fabulous chips.

Some of the really oblong ones are a bit tilting.

I agree, it definitely gives them character. Makes each chip/set unique.

BCC is an acquired taste... many of us love them warts and all. The feel and colors are outstanding.

The quality control issues were huge with BCC. I love the Samurai Palace and Inplays. There was color problems with base chips. Different edge spot colors, inlays were all fucked up, ect.....Still, they made some awesome chips. When they get it right, they nailed it.

My old SP set had three different base colors on the ones. THREE different colors of blue. On top of that there were two different edge spot colors. Some were gray. Some were white.
I must have found all the good ones because my set just looks FUCKING AWESOME! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: Sorry about the mic drop!:rolleyes:
79293CA0-F132-487B-BA4C-5D8FC46DA8BF.png

I kind of regret getting rid of my set. The mold is so sexy. Not a fan of the Proteges
Man I don't know. The Protégé colors and edge spots just do it for me. It's a really classy inlay design with classy colors and edge spots. There's no need to be bold, ornate, or flashy with that inlay design. The cigar and snifter mold, along with the Web and MGK mold, outside of the THC mold, are the absolute nuts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom