Balboa Poker (1 Viewer)

GreekRedEye

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Whipped this up last night for fun. Trying my hand at a California, micro set. I like the $1 (based it off the popular Paris chip) and the $5. Not so sure about the rest.

Balboa ver2.png

A bit of a warning, Tina’s ceramics can have unpredictable results with muted colors. They can look faded or washed-out when printed.
I’ve been pushing everything to the more saturated colors for a while, they just tend to look better on a ceramic.
Just something to consider.

I like the inlay, nice SD vibes and the frac inverted colors is clever.
Thanks. I altered the Balboa Park logo (one of my favorite spots in the world btw). I was mostly messing around and maybe thinking about creating my own micro stakes set eventually. But I recently picked one up thanks to @quintooo so I do not see need to create my own for now. (But now that I think of it, could.easily build an affordable limit set with this too. Hmmm...).

Happy to share the design files if you want to put in a Tina order with @justincarothers (he has a no mold buy going right now I think). I can alter the colors once to make them more vibrant as @Colquhoun recommends. If you want more design changes (e.g. different pips or faux mold or denom changes) you can hire someone like @Colquhoun or other designers on this forum. They can make quick work of it with the .AI file.

@justincarothers You are also welcome to add it to the order library if you want the file too.

Sorry, you are surpassing my poker lingo knowledge...I do not understand what "represent the shorts" means.
Apologies! Not poker lingo, I am a Rocky Balboa fan and in the movies, the boxers wear different shorts lol. When I clicked your link that's what I thought it would be representing.

Apologies! Not poker lingo, I am a Rocky Balboa fan and in the movies, the boxers wear different shorts lol. When I clicked your link that's what I thought it would be representing.
Haha. Balboa Park, not Rocky. Ah, now I get why @ChipTalker posted the Stallone gif. I just thought he was saying it was a "strong" design.

If you are ever in the San Diego area you really should spend a day or afternoon at least in Balboa Park. Beautiful place. Google it.

"represent the shorts"
I was speculating, maybe you meant the pips on the value chip should match the base color of the workhouse. Or maybe the pips on the CA colors should reference Vegas colors? You could have strung me along for a while if you really wanted. :D

Thanks. I altered the Balboa Park logo (one of my favorite spots in the world btw). I was mostly messing around and maybe thinking about creating my own micro stakes set eventually. But I recently picked one up thanks to @quintooo so I do not see need to create my own for now. (But now that I think of it, could.easily build an affordable limit set with this too. Hmmm...).

Happy to share the design files if you want to put in a Tina order with @justincarothers (he has a no mold buy going right now I think). I can alter the colors once to make them more vibrant as @Colquhoun recommends. If you want more design changes (e.g. different pips or faux mold or denom changes) you can hire someone like @Colquhoun or other designers on this forum. They can make quick work of it with the .AI file.

@justincarothers You are also welcome to add it to the order library if you want the file too.

I'm working on my own design right now, otherwise I would totally go for this!

Balboa Poker, reinvented as a limit set, on the Tina Greek mold.

If I like the Greek mold as much as I think I will, there is high likelihood I will order a limit set. So feedback would be appreciated.

I am certain about the blue 1 (bonus points if you can guess the inspiration chip). The rest are totally open. Set will have 1x, 5x, and 20x with 1 and 20 getting most play. Maybe a 100x - but not necessary.

Asset 1@4x.png

Balboa Poker, reinvented as a limit set, on the Tina Greek mold.

If I like the Greek mold as much as I think I will, there is high likelihood I will order a limit set. So feedback would be appreciated.

I am certain about the blue 1 (bonus points if you can guess the inspiration chip). The rest are totally open. Set will have 1x, 5x, and 20x with 1 and 20 getting most play. Maybe a 100x - but not necessary.

View attachment 1216615
The red/black chips are going to be tough to edge align for Tina. It doesn't bother me during play.

White (unprinted ceramic) can have smearing issues next to dark colors. I'd pick a different color for the 1x spot.

The red/black chips are going to be tough to edge align for Tina. It doesn't bother me during play.

White (unprinted ceramic) can have smearing issues next to dark colors. I'd pick a different color for the 1x spot.
I don't really like the red one. Was trying something out - I think I will drop it.

Good point on the white spot. I changed it to a light blue/grey - which makes this even closer to the inspiration chip. Still no guesses anyone?

Asset 2@4x.png

I also fooled around with the label a bit to make it look "old world" and have a bit more character. Got me thinking again about how ceramics give you the opportunity to do more than just solid colors. What do you all think about a radial gradient on the chip itself? See below.

Asset 3@4x.png

I think gradients work well in the label, but I caution using on the chip face.
Sometimes, a gradient can make the final piece look like it has faded or hasn't printed correctly, especially when you fade from a deep color to a lighter version of that color. For example, fading from red to yellow may look ok, but from a dark green to a light green may look like a printer error.
It's not a problem in every instance, but you need to be aware that it may be a potential issue.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom