Azek or Trex? Hidden fastener or Cortex screws with plugs? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I am having a deck installed this Spring, and I am looking for "personal experiences"....both positive and negative.

WHAT TYPE OF DECKING?

I've narrowed my decision down to two choices--Trex or Azek? Either one will be their top of the line. What are your experiences with each? I'm especially interested to hear from people that have long-term experience with both, and favor one over the other. Any installers out there?

WHICH FASTENER?

Should I use hidden fasteners, or Cortex screws with hidden plugs? I'm not worried about the cost difference, just which is better long-term. I was dead set on hidden fasteners, but then I was holding a piece of decking with a Cortex screw and hidden plug in it, and didn't know it until he pointed it out. My big question is whether or not anybody has had problems with either? Hidden fasteners coming loose with deck expansion? Plugs backing out on the Cortex screws? Other problems?

I've googled all of these questions, and haven't had much luck with people discussing their dislike for one over the other. Both have pros and cons, but I'm really looking for somebody to tell me, "I,'ve had both (or installed both), and ________ is definitely the way to go because....."

Thanks in advance!

I'm a contractor and I've been using Azek with Hid-Fast stainless fasteners for years without a single complaint. Had a bad experience with Trex about 10 years ago, but I've heard they've gotten better.

I built my deck with Trex 2 years ago and it's looking great so far. I used one of the mid-range products that you can get off the shelf at Lowe's (which came in handy when I cut some boards wrong and had to make trips to the store instead of waiting for a custom order to ship).

I tried two types of fasteners, and my favorite by far was the Mantis clip. I've never seen them in stores, but they are easy to find online. The Mantis clips hold great and give very consistent gaps.

Post pics when the deck is done! Here's a shot of mine:

IMG_20170621_202613.jpg

I built my deck with Trex 2 years ago and it's looking great so far. I used one of the mid-range products that you can get off the shelf at Lowe's (which came in handy when I cut some boards wrong and had to make trips to the store instead of waiting for a custom order to ship).

I tried two types of fasteners, and my favorite by far was the Mantis clip. I've never seen them in stores, but they are easy to find online. The Mantis clips hold great and give very consistent gaps.

View attachment 222179

This is stunning! Great work

I'm a contractor and I've been using Azek with Hid-Fast stainless fasteners for years without a single complaint. Had a bad experience with Trex about 10 years ago, but I've heard they've gotten better.
Exactly what I'm looking for...thanks!! The installer is also recommending Cortex screws with plugs to hide the screws. Do you have any thoughts on that over hidden fasteners? My concern is that the plugs might back out over time, but I was unable to find any complaints of that. So maybe it's a non issue.

Also. Do you install any and all types of decking; and prefer Azek over others? It seems like the quotes I received are from hardcore Trex installers or Azek installers. Both seemed extremely motivated to push the product they favored.

Thanks!

Last edited:

View attachment 222179
Damn that is beautiful!! The deck and the scenary. Thanks!

I'm not familiar with the mantis clips, but they sound similar the Azek's hidden fasteners. I'll do something research on them.

A friend of mine fixed up his deck and had half a bucket of the Mantis clips left over that he gave me. They worked great, so I ordered another bucket. That ran out and I ended up buying some other fasteners at the store because I was in a rush, and they were not nearly as good. I didn't even consider the Trex plastic fasteners. They look like junk.

Thanks for compliments on my deck! This is the first time I've built one, and it took a long time, but I'm really happy with the result. The stainless steel cable railing was a basic DIY setup too, not one of the expensive systems. It helps that my friend has experience with aircraft cable and the tools from doing AV installs. I just bought a big roll of cable, thimbles, and swages, and we used long eye bolts through the posts at each end to tension the cable. All the hardware is hidden by wood slats at each end. I did the Trex at a 45 degree angle in part to match the 45-deg corners but mostly to avoid butt joints. Every board on my deck is continuous from end to end.

A couple other things I learned from my project:
- I added Grace Vycor flashing over the pressure-treated framing to help it last longer. I think it is worth it, and hopefully I don't have to replace all my rotted joists anytime soon like my neighbor had to do.
- Irwin makes some great little "fingers" that attach to their clamps that let you squeeze the boards together and get a consistent gap. This was so handy when installing the Trex. I even loaned them to somebody else in my neighborhood that was building their own deck.
- Augering 10" dia. holes 3' deep in solid clay soil is a huge PITA!! :mad:

A friend of mine fixed up his deck and had half a bucket of the Mantis clips left over that he gave me. They worked great, so I ordered another bucket. That ran out and I ended up buying some other fasteners at the store because I was in a rush, and they were not nearly as good. I didn't even consider the Trex plastic fasteners. They look like junk.

Thanks for compliments on my deck! This is the first time I've built one, and it took a long time, but I'm really happy with the result. The stainless steel cable railing was a basic DIY setup too, not one of the expensive systems. It helps that my friend has experience with aircraft cable and the tools from doing AV installs. I just bought a big roll of cable, thimbles, and swages, and we used long eye bolts through the posts at each end to tension the cable. All the hardware is hidden by wood slats at each end. I did the Trex at a 45 degree angle in part to match the 45-deg corners but mostly to avoid butt joints. Every board on my deck is continuous from end to end.

A couple other things I learned from my project:
- I added Grace Vycor flashing over the pressure-treated framing to help it last longer. I think it is worth it, and hopefully I don't have to replace all my rotted joists anytime soon like my neighbor had to do.
- Irwin makes some great little "fingers" that attach to their clamps that let you squeeze the boards together and get a consistent gap. This was so handy when installing the Trex. I even loaned them to somebody else in my neighborhood that was building their own deck.
- Augering 10" dia. holes 3' deep in solid clay soil is a huge PITA!! :mad:
I love the horizontal cable. I inquired about doing that, but my country frowns on that ): Apperently it's a climbing hazard. I figure, "hell...little bastards shouldn't have been climbing on my deck in the first place"...LOL Or maybe they were worried about one of my drunk poker peeps :)

Thanks for the heads up on the flashing. That's a great idea!!

LMAO on augering the hole. Been there; it sucks!!

Exactly what I'm looking for...thanks!! The installer is also recommending Cortex screws with plugs to hide the screws. Do you have any thoughts on that over hidden fasteners? My concern is that the plugs might back out over time, but I was unable to find any complaints of that. So maybe it's a non issue.

Also. Do you install any and all types of decking; and prefer Azek over others? It seems like the quotes I received are from hardcore Trex installers or Azek installers. Both seemed extremely motivated to push the product they favored.

Thanks!
I have used Cortex and they work fine. If you have the gun, the Hid-Fast fasteners take about one tenth the time.

My main supplier doesn't carry Trex so I don't sell it. As long as it's 100% PVC, you'll be fine. I just prefer to deal with a supplier that I have a good relationship with.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom