Lack of Interest "Aura" Tournament (Aria Tribute) on Sun-Fly PolyInno (Hybrid) Chips (2 Viewers)

Which name do you prefer for the Aria tribute?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
These are very enticing. I have a sample set of @Himewad s chips and they are fantastic. The labels are sharp and the chips don't even sound or feel like a typical ceramic chip. I might have to order a set of these.

These are very enticing. I have a sample set of @Himewad s chips and they are fantastic. The labels are sharp and the chips don't even sound or feel like a typical ceramic chip. I might have to order a set of these.
FYI, if you’re talking about @Himewad’s The Nuts hybrid chips, those are made by Tina, not Sun-Fly. They are great but Sun-Flys are even better. SF’s labels have this glass-like surface that looks really high-end. Both hybrids are excellent in their own respects, but two different levels of products at their own price points.

FYI, if you’re talking about @Himewad’s The Nuts hybrid chips, those are made by Tina, not Sun-Fly. They are great but Sun-Flys are even better. SF’s labels have this glass-like surface that looks really high-end. Both hybrids are excellent in their own respects, but two different levels of products at their own price points.
That's even better to know!

The SF label is polarizing. You either love it or hate it. Personally, I don't care for the soft, shiny SF labels. But I know some people really like them.

And yes, my chips are Tina chips. I'm sure SF is a higher quality chip.

Just received the samples from Sun-Fly! They are awesome! I think colors came out better than expected by only using stock SF colors. The inlays are beautiful. They shuffle amazing. I have a set of BR Pro's and these are superior (I still love my BR's though). They stand on edge no problem which my BRs will not. They definitely have a softer feel to them compared to BRs ceramics.

Let me know what you think...

20230228_133905.jpg

20230228_133932.jpg
20230228_133948.jpg
20230228_133958.jpg
20230228_134008.jpg
20230228_134021.jpg
20230228_134040.jpg
20230228_134049.jpg

20230228_134819.jpg
20230228_134212.jpg
20230228_134157.jpg

Attachments

• 20230228_133932.jpg
    20230228_133932.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 62
Artwork is spot f'n on. Is that the stock polyinno blank. I feel like the pictures make the face of the chip feel more matte than I would expect.

Artwork is spot f'n on. Is that the stock polyinno blank. I feel like the pictures make the face of the chip feel more matte than I would expect.
I guess I'm not sure there were different options. What do you mean by stock?

I guess I'm not sure there were different options. What do you mean by stock?
There's no mention of different stock/texture/finish options for the chips themselves on the PolyInno product page, so I have to assume they are stock.

The chips (at least the 43mm sample set of a different design that I have) are "smooth" as opposed to having a purposeful texture, but since they're ceramic, not plastic, so even smooth has a little texture that I think are more visible in close-up shots. (Plus any kind of "dithering" from the dye sublimation printing process, even though we're using their approved colors, might also look like "texture" on the surface.)

Updated Post #2, which also lists the current order quantities, with pricing and shipping info, but I'll put it here too:

The cost for the 39mm chips, including shipping from Sun-Fly, artist fees, estimated wire transfer costs, is ~$0.98/chip. This is based on a hypothetical 2,500-chip GB order. This does not include reshipping from me to you. I'd like to round up to an even $1/chip at this point, since we are only at 1,600 chips total and I don't know yet if that means it'd be more expensive. I'd rather quote a higher price now than have to tell people it costs more later.

If we hit higher quantities and qualify for discounts, I will adjust the price down accordingly.

At least one person has reached out about 43mm chips, which would be $1.10/chip (based on a hypothetical 2,000-chip GB order). We'd need a minimum of 100 chips for a denom in order for it to be produced. We've met the requirements for 39mm, but we'll have to see if we get enough 43mm orders to make that option viable.

Reshipping including insurance will be as follows for U.S. addresses: $12 for up to 300 chips, $22 for up to 600 chips, $32 for up to 1200 chips. International reshipping will be calculated on a case-by-case basis (but I can provide estimates).

I'm in for a sample set, if available. Thanks!
I'm willing to collect interest in sample sets, but the increments-of-25 requirement means that I'd like to have a commitment of ~15 sets, per size if people are interested in both 39mm and 43mm samples. Let's say $14 for a 39mm sample set, $16 for a 43mm sample set, shipped (no tracking/insurance) within the U.S.

Interested in 43mm if we can hit quantities, and 39mm if not. Probably only 300 chips. Are we able to order in any increments or just 25?

Looking for something like

1k100
5k80
25k80
100k40

Interested in 43mm if we can hit quantities, and 39mm if not. Probably only 300 chips. Are we able to order in any increments or just 25?

Looking for something like

1k100
5k80
25k80
100k40

Increments of 25 please.

Thanks for the flexibility on 39mm vs 43mm. I’ll start a table for 43mm in post #2. Have hit the minimums for 39mm so we can definitely convert if the 43mm don’t happen.

I'm willing to collect interest in sample sets, but the increments-of-25 requirement means that I'd like to have a commitment of ~15 sets, per size if people are interested in both 39mm and 43mm samples. Let's say $14 for a 39mm sample set, $16 for a 43mm sample set, shipped (no tracking/insurance) within the U.S.
Make sure you specify which polyinno blanks are to be used -- there are four (HB001, HB002, HB003, and HB005), two 39mm and two 43mm. The center recess diameters (and thus label diameters) vary in size. See the web site for details.

Make sure you specify which polyinno blanks are to be used -- there are four (HB001, HB002, HB003, and HB005), two 39mm and two 43mm. The center recess diameters (and thus label diameters) vary in size. See the web site for details.
Thanks! All designs are mocked for the HB002 (HB003 for 43mm) with the larger label-to-chip ratio, which is closer to the ratio of the actual BJ chips.

Your 43mm artwork will need to be resized to fit the different recess size.
Thanks! Fortunately the ratio is similar. HB002 is 28.4mm label to 39mm chip, or so the label covers 72.8% of the chip, while HB003 is 31.7mm label to 43mm chip, or 73.7%, so a minor up-size to the label size (and adjusting the edge stripe to the right diameter and fixing the edge dots) will be required, if we get enough to to make the 43mm.

Last edited:
HB005 was the 43mm blank made specifically for PCF for the BW tributes, right? That is the superior 43mm polyinno blank.
I tried mocking up the HB001 originally and the inlay looked a little too small. 25.4mm label to 39mm chip is the label covering 65.1% of the chip surface. The weird thing is HB005 has the same 25.4mm label size to a 43mm chip, which is ~59.1% of the chip. So obviously it shows off the chip more, but that's a really small ratio for the label.

Here's the 43mm w/the T1000 having the 31.7mm label, while the T5000 has the 25.4mm label:

1677731637610.png

Obviously I need to adjust the edge spots on the T5K, here's how that looks:

1677731730563.png

To me the label is just too small on the chip for this particular design. Looks like a large life preserver/inflatable around the label...

@BGinGA @Venturalvn what does the recessed part of the chip underneath the label look like? With dye-sub, would they have to make a full printing pass across the chip? Has anyone explored having a full design printed on a hybrid chip (if Sun-Fly would do it) and then having the label applied to it? Basically a hidden "underlabel" (in comparison to "overlabeling"), or since it's not a label, an "underinlay"?

Then, if you get tired of the label, sure you can swap out the labels, or you could just take off the label and have a whole other design underneath! Too crazy?

I'm just not sure why Sun-Fly have such a large gap between the two recess choices on the 43mm. If they kept the same ratio as the 25.4mm label to 39mm chip on a 43mm chip, the label would be almost exactly 28mm and keep that 65.1% ratio of label to chip face.

I mean I guess it means they only have to produce 3 label sizes, 25.4mm, 28.4mm, and 31.7mm by reusing the smaller label size on the larger chip, but I'd much preferred they utilized the 28.4mm instead on the 43mm, and still standardize on 3 label sizes.

@BGinGA @Venturalvn what does the recessed part of the chip underneath the label look like? With dye-sub, would they have to make a full printing pass across the chip? Has anyone explored having a full design printed on a hybrid chip (if Sun-Fly would do it) and then having the label applied to it? Basically a hidden "underlabel" (in comparison to "overlabeling"), or since it's not a label, an "underinlay"?

Then, if you get tired of the label, sure you can swap out the labels, or you could just take off the label and have a whole other design underneath! Too crazy?
I seem to recall that's printed to within a few mm past the recess, but not all the way to the center - so there's white blank still remaining in the center of the chip.

I haven't murdered one of my custom chips yet to confirm, but that's what I remember seeing before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom