Are hot dogs (in buns) sandwiches? (29 Viewers)

Are hot dogs (in buns) sandwiches?

• Yes

Votes: 110 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 154 58.3%

• Total voters
First, who the hell appointed @softchewy arbiter of all things sandwichy?

Second, if a hot dog is not a sandwich, then why do we even have words?
Doesn't matter who appointed me, just that you realize I am the arbiter of all things sandwichy and unsandwhichy.

Words are for communicating.
Like being at a ball game and saying "I'll have a hot dog"
If you said, "I'll have a hot dog sandwich" you'd get nothing and be told to leave.

Doesn't matter who appointed me, just that you realize I am the arbiter of all things sandwichy and unsandwhichy.

Words are for communicating.
Like being at a ball game and saying "I'll have a hot dog"
If you said, "I'll have a hot dog sandwich" you'd get nothing and be told to leave.
But I don't ask for a "Pepsi soda pop" or a "Snickers candy bar" either - just a Pepsi and a Snickers.

By your logic, Pepsi is not a soda and Snickers is not a candy bar.

true, but you could and they would still serve it to you.

Your logic does not follow logic as my logic states nothing of the sort.

next

true, but you could and they would still serve it to you.

Your logic does not follow logic as my logic states nothing of the sort.

next
If I asked for a Pepsi soda pop or a hot dog sandwich, in both cases I would get what I asked for along with a funny look.

Your license to practice sandwich law is revoked.

listen guys, I'm the one who revived the thread for 2021, so this makes me the arbiter of all things hot dog / sandwich related...

This judge sucks donkey dongs.
take it to appeals, bitch

1614367693582.png

I 'd love to get an American hotdog right now, regardless of definition, 'cause I 'm hungry, but I guess shipping and Customs fees would be crippling.:D
Refrigeration guaranteed, at least during the flight, in the aircraft's cargo hold.
PM me if you think we could work something out:p
PPFF only.

If those outside the US only knew what a hot dog is actually made of...

Here is the definition from the OED:
"A hot dog (also spelled hotdog) is a food consisting of a grilled or steamed sausage served in the slit of a partially sliced bun. It can also refer to the sausage itself. It has nothing to do with a sandwich and is not considered one, except by flat earthers."

If those outside the US only knew what a hot dog is actually made of...

Here is the definition from the OED:
"A hot dog (also spelled hotdog) is a food consisting of a grilled or steamed sausage served in the slit of a partially sliced bun. It can also refer to the sausage itself. It has nothing to do with a sandwich and is not considered one, except by flat earthers."
Exhibit A in the case of International Flat Earth Society v. Subway, 2018: meat inside a split bun, i.e. a sandwich:
1614373545819.png

Exhibit B in the same case: meat inside a split bun. Again, a sandwich:
1614373670554.png

1614373700729.png

Exhibit A in the case of International Flat Earth Society v. Subway, 2018: meat inside a split bun, i.e. a sandwich:
View attachment 644542
Exhibit B in the same case: meat inside a split bun. Again, a sandwich:
View attachment 644543

View attachment 644545

Conveinient cherry picking of evidence... As we all know, that case was thrown out after exhibits F though J18 were also stated as being sandwiches.
The list included pizza, a single olive on a toast point, a dead bird in an alley lying on top of a bagel... basically anything touching a piece of bread.
I think the true sentiment was delivered perfectly and succinctly in the film adaptation...
"To dilute the sandwich is to dilute the truth!" - F. Murray Abraham, as Judge Barret Happenstance in A Hot Dog is a Hot Dog, by Any Other Name : based on the true story of IFES vs Subway

Conveinient cherry picking of evidence... As we all know, that case was thrown out after exhibits F though J18 were also stated as being sandwiches.
The list included pizza, a single olive on a toast point, a dead bird in an alley lying on top of a bagel... basically anything touching a piece of bread.
I think the true sentiment was delivered perfectly and succinctly in the film adaptation...
"To dilute the sandwich is to dilute the truth!" - F. Murray Abraham, as Judge Barret Happenstance in A Hot Dog is a Hot Dog, by Any Other Name : based on the true story of IFES vs Subway
But how convenient that you fail to mention the scandal created when Judge Happenstance was revealed to be an evangelical structure/ingredient purist and failed to disclose this info or recuse himself prior to the trial.

Obviously an appeal is in the works.

But how convenient that you fail to mention the scandal created when Judge Happenstance was revealed to be an evangelical structure/ingredient purist and failed to disclose this info or recuse himself prior to the trial.

Obviously an appeal is in the works.

The scandal and accusations were baseless, (regardless of his social media comments about Jared's hot dog), he ruled with his head.
I mean, where in the world would you find someone who doesn't have a staunch viewpoint anyway.
His ruling pointed out that if everything is a sandwich, then nothing is a sandwich.. you know, the old Smurf argument.
Which of course leads us back to the original question, which is a nothing burger.. also known as a nothing sandwich.
As we all know, there is no agreed upon definition of sandwich.
But let's use the Official Sandwich Council's definition (of course they sort of believe a hot dog is a sandwich as they want everything to be a sandwich so they can control all food during meal time)..
"An item of food consisting of two slices of bread, a roll, or a bun, with any fillings, eaten as a meal"
https://sandwichcouncil.com/articles/definition-of-a-sandwich/

Totally fictional scenario: PersonA comes home drunk at 4:10 AM and eats a hot dog on a bun.
This does not qualify as a sandwich per the OSC's definition as it was not eaten as a meal.
A snack eaten while completely wasted and stumbling all over the place at 4:10 AM is not a meal by any sane definition.
In fact, if I ate.. I mean PersonA ate a Reuben sandwich instead of the hot dog in a bun, it does not qualify as a sandwich by their own defintion.
Do they expect us to now define food by time of day or how it is consumed?

Does an open face "sandwich" on a large slice of bread qualify as a sandwich? Not according to the OSC.

I now have to ask you to answer the following so I know what I am dealing with...
Is pizza a sandwich?

I live in New England. Clam rolls and lobster rolls are sandwiches. :D
Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait.
A lobster roll is 100% a sandwich.
A clam roll is a pile of deep fried clam strips dumped onto a hot dog roll. People eat the clam strips with a fork, dipping them into the tartar sauce. When they're done, all that's left is a flat greasy hot dog roll and some parsley. Nobody eats a clam roll with their hands because it isn't a sandwich.

Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait.
A lobster roll is 100% a sandwich.
A clam roll is a pile of deep fried clam strips dumped onto a hot dog roll. People eat the clam strips with a fork, dipping them into the tartar sauce. When they're done, all that's left is a flat greasy hot dog roll and some parsley. Nobody eats a clam roll with their hands because it isn't a sandwich.

I eat the last few on the roll with tartar :(

The scandal and accusations were baseless, (regardless of his social media comments about Jared's hot dog), he ruled with his head.
I mean, where in the world would you find someone who doesn't have a staunch viewpoint anyway.
His ruling pointed out that if everything is a sandwich, then nothing is a sandwich.. you know, the old Smurf argument.
Which of course leads us back to the original question, which is a nothing burger.. also known as a nothing sandwich.
As we all know, there is no agreed upon definition of sandwich.
But let's use the Official Sandwich Council's definition (of course they sort of believe a hot dog is a sandwich as they want everything to be a sandwich so they can control all food during meal time)..
"An item of food consisting of two slices of bread, a roll, or a bun, with any fillings, eaten as a meal"
https://sandwichcouncil.com/articles/definition-of-a-sandwich/

Totally fictional scenario: PersonA comes home drunk at 4:10 AM and eats a hot dog on a bun.
This does not qualify as a sandwich per the OSC's definition as it was not eaten as a meal.
A snack eaten while completely wasted and stumbling all over the place at 4:10 AM is not a meal by any sane definition.
In fact, if I ate.. I mean PersonA ate a Reuben sandwich instead of the hot dog in a bun, it does not qualify as a sandwich by their own defintion.
Do they expect us to now define food by time of day or how it is consumed?

Does an open face "sandwich" on a large slice of bread qualify as a sandwich? Not according to the OSC.

I now have to ask you to answer the following so I know what I am dealing with...
Is pizza a sandwich?
64921539.jpg

I'm just spreading the truth... the eponym stated it definitively...
During a visit to Frankfurt in the summer of 1764, when mistakenly handed a hot dog in a bun, John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich replied,
"I asked for a sandwich sir, and that is no sandwich!"

1614465506595.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom