Are Classified Sales Postings Allowed Without A Price? (1 Viewer)

CrazyEddie

Full House
Reaction score
I'm moving this discussion out of this sales thread where I unwisely started it. I have a question that perhaps @Tommy or a moderator could answer.

I've seen replies posted in some sales threads "Sales posts must include a price" or words to that effect. I can't find any examples offhand, but I feel certain I've seen it. The effect is to ban classifieds posts of the sort "I have such-and-such chips for sale, make me an offer". However, I don't see that policy anywhere in the site FAQ and Info post or in the Community Guidelines.

Can anyone tell me conclusively whether "Make me an offer" posts are or are not allowed?

You'll find your answer in a pinned post, "Guidelines," via the Classified section.

Specific language in that post:

• FOR SALE ADS MUST HAVE A PRICE. Offers by PM no longer acceptable. If you do not know what to ask, make your ad an Auction.

Thanks. Couldn't be more clear.

Next question - a discussion topic, actually. Why?

There are two ways people can get around this; 1) they say something like I have 1 rack of CDI $5s for $600 (clearly too high) or make me an offer in a for sale thread, or 2) I will trade for 1 rack of Jack $1Ks (obviously not an actionable trade) or I will accept cash offers in a trade thread.

Last edited:

Easy to lie about other offers.

Let’s say you offer me $400 for a rack I posted without a price. Easy for me to say I’ve had another offer of $500 hoping to get more money out of you

it’s a closed silent auction. All power to the seller, they can keep going leaving folks in the ditch. Some people may just post every rack or chip they have, only selling when they get a ridiculous or normally unobtainable number. Maybe end up with bloated classified, people’s feelings hurt, etc.

There’s ways around anything if need be. I think if I still had any chips left to sell, I’d go by my recently enjoyable $dumb high price for the general public, $nice low price for folks that could actually use the chips.

I'm moving this discussion out of this sales thread where I unwisely started it. I have a question that perhaps @Tommy or a moderator could answer.

I've seen replies posted in some sales threads "Sales posts must include a price" or words to that effect. I can't find any examples offhand, but I feel certain I've seen it. The effect is to ban classifieds posts of the sort "I have such-and-such chips for sale, make me an offer". However, I don't see that policy anywhere in the site FAQ and Info post or in the Community Guidelines.

Can anyone tell me conclusively whether "Make me an offer" posts are or are not allowed?

Check out the Classified Guidelines. It's clearly stated this isn't allowed. We used to allow it, but based on the number of issues that resulted and member feedback that rule changed a couple of years ago. Hence the ending "no longer accepted"

FOR SALE ADS MUST HAVE A PRICE. Offers by PM no longer acceptable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom