Anyone Mill RHCs? (1 Viewer)

I think you are talking about the 27mm t-channel (wood working) bit? The issue with that bit is it is sharp on the edges and the center "rail" (for lack of a better description) on the bottom has a gap. Theoretically, you could "double mill" (7/8" and then the 27mm) to git a flat bottom but I don't believe anyone has tried it.

I did order the 27mm (on eBay - Chinapak) to try it for myself.
Yeah, I've been thinking about giving this a try as well. I'm probably going to order this bit on Amazon, and attempt a double mill with 7/8ths first, then follow up with this. It will be interesting to see how even I can get the two seperate plunges.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QB3FPM...olid=1O2VS2N1R7OVZ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I've also had a discussion with another member here who knows someone in the tool and die business who may be able to fabricate a 27mm / 1 1/16th bottom cleaning bit.

No, there is actually a 1-1/8” bottom cleaning bit on eBay now. I had never seen one before but someone just found it.

Yeah I bought one of those t channel bits to attempt double milling but had not gotten to it. Honestly I have no desire to mill RHCs so it was pure experimentation and low on my priorities.

View attachment 754521
I wonder if you could take one of these to a bench grinder and remove just a bit of material from each side to get it down to 1 1/16th? No idea if this is possible. Just throwing out a crazy idea.

I got a quote of $248 for a 1 1/16 bit, modified from a 1 1/8 bit. I imagine they do exactly what you suggest @TX_Golf_N_Poker, just very precisely.

I'm working with a machine shop to create a small setup for milling RHCs. Not for production... probably only 3-6 sides at a time. Lots and lots of manual flipping. We'll see if it's successful.

Someday @FordPickup92 will get back to it again...
View attachment 754523
It can be done... on a lathe. But we don't have a lathe currently to do this work. Maybe one day again... since we have hundreds of chips to do! Lol
One of these do the job??? :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
this is the machine shop here in my building
1C9EDB8A-B4C8-47D3-AF23-E14A11F6E89B.jpeg5C57DF03-5CF4-40F3-BB93-A65370CA481D.jpegF044682C-0DDA-4D20-B2E6-4318AA53B060.jpeg0A8E481C-3D7E-4EC7-907E-976BA0AD4348.jpeg

I got a quote of $248 for a 1 1/16 bit, modified from a 1 1/8 bit. I imagine they do exactly what you suggest @TX_Golf_N_Poker, just very precisely.

I'm working with a machine shop to create a small setup for milling RHCs. Not for production... probably only 3-6 sides at a time. Lots and lots of manual flipping. We'll see if it's successful.
The things we do for this hobby :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I think that 1 1/8 is too big. I bought it, and it arrived this week, and while I haven't put it on the drill press yet, I think you would have to be really precise.

My only RHC mission has been the hot stamp variety, and I think you can label over the hot stamp with a glossy label with no spinner issues or hot stamp bleed through so there's that.

One of these do the job??? :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
this is the machine shop here in my building
View attachment 757933View attachment 757934View attachment 757935View attachment 757936
The Clausing Lathe in pic #3 would do the job... way more machine than you need, but it would do it with a 8" - 6 jaw Buck chuck. My dad actually set Brie up with a collet from a mill and set a depth in the collet (basically a fixture or template) so that no jaw is actually ever touching the chip, and once you get set up it is plug n play!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom