Anyone Mill RHCs? (2 Viewers)

No, there is actually a 1-1/8” bottom cleaning bit on eBay now. I had never seen one before but someone just found it.

Yeah I bought one of those t channel bits to attempt double milling but had not gotten to it. Honestly I have no desire to mill RHCs so it was pure experimentation and low on my priorities.

View attachment 754521

can i buy this and send it to you @Josh Kifer for my chips?...lol

Someday @FordPickup92 will get back to it again...
Screenshot_20210323-111753_Gallery.jpg

It can be done... on a lathe. But we don't have a lathe currently to do this work. Maybe one day again... since we have hundreds of chips to do! Lol

You could buff of the hot stamp and then reflatten the inside of the chip. I just tried this on some of my hot stamp error chips and it worked.
Alternatively, you could just flatten the middle with a little heat and press the hot stamp into the chip rather than even removing it if you're planning to label over....I can post examples if you want

You could buff of the hot stamp and then reflatten the inside of the chip. I just tried this on some of my hot stamp error chips and it worked.

my issue is that, I think theres a label under the hotstamp since the stamp is a cancellation stamp. I dont want to melt the vinyl label and make a sticky mess

my issue is that, I think theres a label under the hotstamp since the stamp is a cancellation stamp. I dont want to melt the vinyl label and make a sticky mess
Oooo got it. Can you post a pic? You can't just murder the label off?

Does the stamp prevent you from peeling off the label underneath? You can send me a few with the other chips if you want me to see what I can do...
I never tried. I've only removed 4 labels in my 14 years of chipping...so only 2 chips hahha. Maybe i'll mess with it tonight and see

No, there is actually a 1-1/8” bottom cleaning bit on eBay now. I had never seen one before but someone just found it.

Yeah I bought one of those t channel bits to attempt double milling but had not gotten to it. Honestly I have no desire to mill RHCs so it was pure experimentation and low on my priorities.

View attachment 754521
Oh, cool. Thanks, I'll order one of these too. :tup:

I also have no need to do any milling but I do like tools and like to know how to do stuff.

Hey @joeyshin -- for the 50c Hustler RHC chips -- I've experimented flattening the hotstamp flashing with a sanding disk kit and a Dremel rotary tool -- and a "flexible shaft extension" for the Dremel, which makes it easier to hold and sand. I've bought the Sanding Disc kit below on Amazon for $8.

If you want to borrow my Dremel and sanding kit, let me know.

One difficulty is that the Dremel I have, even on low setting, has a very high RPM speed that will very quickly eat into the clay, I needed to be very careful with the touch of the sanding disc onto the clay before it would go beyond flattening and caused indentations in the surface of the clay.

Maybe a similar setup using a lower speed drill instead of a Dremel might work better. The sanding kit below could also be used in a drill press.

1628887118929.png

1628887083146.png

Hey @joeyshin -- for the 50c Hustler RHC chips -- I've experimented flattening the hotstamp flashing with a sanding disk kit and a Dremel rotary tool -- and a "flexible shaft extension" for the Dremel, which makes it easier to hold and sand. I've bought the Sanding Disc kit below on Amazon for $8.

If you want to borrow my Dremel and sanding kit, let me know.

One difficulty is that the Dremel I have, even on low setting, has a very high RPM speed that will very quickly eat into the clay, I needed to be very careful with the touch of the sanding disc onto the clay before it would go beyond flattening and caused indentations in the surface of the clay.

Maybe a similar setup using a lower speed drill instead of a Dremel might work better. The sanding kit below could also be used in a drill press.

View attachment 754573

View attachment 754572

I was actually thinking of trying this. I may just buy a dremel for my own use. Thanks for the heads up!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom