Anyone in Canada back to hosting home games? (1 Viewer)

Just look at how this entire thing has been great for turning people against each other. I’m not offended because I’m neither a moron or a covidiot.
People are stressed, you can feel it in grocery stores, driving on the roads etc.; patience, tolerance and kindness that is usually there just isn't these days. Made a conscious choice to do my very best not to judge anyone for their behavior or decisions during this pandemic,.
If after a year we can’t allow friends and families to see each other safely I consider that a failure of policy.
Doesn't it feel like the summer was a wasted opportunity to enact some meaningful policy similar to other countries that have successfully managed spread that could have helped avoid a lot of this mess?

----------

I don't think anyone here has to fit into any one box. You can want to go back to "normal", you can be frustrated with our leaders, and you can do your best to respect and follow the guidance on gatherings, all at the same time.

Restaurants here have been impacted but the ones that will survive are the ones who innovate and offered curbside pickup or delivery etc. The same for a lot of impacted business. The ones that innovate and adapt successfully will survive.

Did your friend's employees apply for CERB? I don't see why the employer would need pay employees who weren't working (which is what I assume you're alluding to).

CEWS was available for some businesses covering 75% of payroll. Rationale behind this is it's better than moving all these people to CERB and sitting on their asses at home. Prop up some modest level of productivity in the economy.

But you can't innovate your way out of a business model that requires large volumes of in person traffic. A high end restaurant is not going to survive by delivery and takeout. That doesn't appeal to their clientele. Part of the allure was the in person experience. Not just the food. Also, alot of food needs to be served freshly prepared. A steak that's been cooked and takes an hour to deliver is going to be subpar at best.

You guys have a Canadian thread where you bash a United States state - that you’ve probably never been to - and that you have absolutely no idea what their statistics or motivations are. You even admit you don’t know anything about what or why they are doing it, yet you judge them. I think this guy has a definition for you, using his same logic

Yup, that's me. You come onto a thread asking if Canadians are hosting games, obviously don't read the thread, post your pictures of your american home game, and then accuse everyone in the thread of not wanting to return to noramal.

The above behaviour, IMHO, equates to Asshole.

At least here's a bright thought for the future: once we reach the capacity to declare effective herd immunity (which I will artificially set at 75% of the adult population vaccinated for sake of argument) then the economy will come roaring back in a big way. People will be spending money like crazy, catching up on missed time with friends and family. Bars, restaurants, clubs, theaters, stadiums, will be filled to capacity. The travel and hospitality industry will see a huge boom. Yeah, we will probably still be wearing masks here and there and doing enhanced cleaning, but maybe we should have been doing some of that anyway.

The one thing that I really hope changes, at least in Canada, is a full review of business and care models in private nursing homes/residential facilities, because as it stands it looks pretty much like a for-profit semi-regulated jail system that the "inmates" pay for.

At least here's a bright thought for the future: once we reach the capacity to declare effective herd immunity (which I will artificially set at 75% of the adult population vaccinated for sake of argument) then the economy will come roaring back in a big way. People will be spending money like crazy, catching up on missed time with friends and family. Bars, restaurants, clubs, theaters, stadiums, will be filled to capacity. The travel and hospitality industry will see a huge boom. Yeah, we will probably still be wearing masks here and there and doing enhanced cleaning, but maybe we should have been doing some of that anyway.

The one thing that I really hope changes, at least in Canada, is a full review of business and care models in private nursing homes/residential facilities, because as it stands it looks pretty much like a for-profit semi-regulated jail system that the "inmates" pay for.
What money are they going to be spending “like crazy”? Not everyone has kept jobs during this time, lots of people have lost so much that there won’t be money to spend.

What money are they going to be spending “like crazy”? Not everyone has kept jobs during this time, lots of people have lost so much that there won’t be money to spend.

There is also the aspect that over a year people have learned new habits. Not everything is going to go back to “the good ole days”. Some people have learned to shop and cook, some have taken up hobbies that they will continue, and some realize that they don’t need bright lights and big city 24/7.

Most people follow the health guidelines and see these restrictions as medical guidelines instead of some sort of government imposition. It's not some politician telling people what they can and can't do because they are flexing control over the working class. It's medical professionals using the best information they have to prevent illness and a subsequent health system overload. People here get this however there are a few people on the fringe who think that following scientific guidance is limiting their "freedom" somehow. They're like adults who missed out on punk rock and this is their way to be edgy and somehow 'stick it to the man'.
To a point, the counter argument I have to that is 1.) Medical professionals calling the shots ONLY seemed concerned about the impact of Covid on health, not mental health, economic health (which has physical health costs as well) or even other ailments like delayed elective surgeries. 2.) Some of these restrictions are pretty stupid like the non-essential item law in Manitoba (friend was denied buying a space heater), curfews, Families of 7 being broken up into separate tables at restaurants. I mean I was on board for the first two weeks and some time after that, but after 12 months I don't need someone telling me I can't have a beer with a friend.
Restaurants here have been impacted but the ones that will survive are the ones who innovate and offered curbside pickup or delivery etc. The same for a lot of impacted business. The ones that innovate and adapt successfully will survive.

Did your friend's employees apply for CERB? I don't see why the employer would need pay employees who weren't working (which is what I assume you're alluding to).
Honestly, I'm not sure what the details were, but I know that he opened his 3rd restaurant, so they didn't qualify for CEWS because technically their revenue didn't drop enough to qualify, even though their expenses increased with a new location. He also tried to stay open for takeout, and I don't think they get CERB in that case. I don't know, I didn't use it.
CEWS was available for some businesses covering 75% of payroll. Rationale behind this is it's better than moving all these people to CERB and sitting on their asses at home. Prop up some modest level of productivity in the economy.

But you can't innovate your way out of a business model that requires large volumes of in person traffic. A high end restaurant is not going to survive by delivery and takeout. That doesn't appeal to their clientele. Part of the allure was the in person experience. Not just the food. Also, alot of food needs to be served freshly prepared. A steak that's been cooked and takes an hour to deliver is going to be subpar at best.
Agreed, innovation helps to a point, but some of the best run businesses in the world are losers because of the pandemic response.

Always a rational response from you. I agree with your Long term care home comments. It's deplorable the conditions they live in, and I for one don't love our treatment of the elderly where we keep them alive at all costs in many cases against their will. My grandmother in law had an extra 5 years of hell because they just couldn't let her die. Fucking antibiotics.

The economy will come back roaring for a bit, but my concern is the long term cost of this crazy gov't spending.

In no way am I implying that many people have not been seriously hurt economically during this time. But most jobs in the hurting industries will come back because the demand for them to come back. It won't be like flipping an "on" switch for everybody, but for the people who have not accumulated debt in this period, they will be driving the economic recovery. It will be a curve, but I predict a fairly steep one.

In no way am I implying that many people have been seriously hurt economically during this time. But most jobs in the hurting industries will come back because the demand for them to come back. It won't be like flipping an "on" switch for everybody, but for the people who have not accumulated debt in this period, they will be driving the economic recovery. It will be a curve, but I predict a fairly steep one.
Goddamit, I thought we were flattening curves.

then the economy will come roaring back in a big way. People will be spending money like crazy, catching up on missed time with friends and family. Bars, restaurants, clubs, theaters, stadiums, will be filled to capacity. The travel and hospitality industry will see a huge boom.

I see this hope a lot, and I think it’s part of the problem - governments believe this as well so they feel they can do whatever, and just turn the economy back on when it suits them. But can they? Where is the “scientific” evidence for this? Sure it’s “common sense” but that hasn’t applied so far to this pandemic in any aspect, and there’s no reason to suspect it will start miraculously working now.
What’s the plan B when the economy doesn’t take off like a rocket? Nobodies planning for this “because common sense says you don’t have to”. I suspect the citizens are going to be left holding the bag again.

I see this hope a lot, and I think it’s part of the problem - governments believe this as well so they feel they can do whatever, and just turn the economy back on when it suits them. But can they? Where is the “scientific” evidence for this? Sure it’s “common sense” but that hasn’t applied so far to this pandemic in any aspect, and there’s no reason to suspect it will start miraculously working now.
What’s the plan B when the economy doesn’t take off like a rocket? Nobodies planning for this “because common sense says you don’t have to”. I suspect the citizens are going to be left holding the bag again.
We as citizens are already holding the bag, and it’s getting heavier by the day. It seems like the losses are only beginning. Investments have been slaughtered in the last few weeks, and I hope we find the bottom soon.

I see this hope a lot, and I think it’s part of the problem - governments believe this as well so they feel they can do whatever, and just turn the economy back on when it suits them. But can they? Where is the “scientific” evidence for this?
I agree with this in a lot of ways. The biggest problem I've had with lockdowns hasn't been "muh freedum!", it's the fact the governments have been able to declare winners and losers based on very odd rules. And media outlets and their sensational headlines are complicit by focusing on deaths and reading out new infections like they're death sentences, it also hurts their credibility when they list off deaths of 93 & 94 year olds like the other day in Winnipeg. If someone is 14 years past the average lifespan, is it really a national tragedy? And like I said earlier we had a big outbreak in my town, which turned into a massive fight over tourists (we're a tourist town, without them EVERYONE goes broke), when the real problem was our housing situation means younger adults are living 10 to a house. The media played it up like Whistler had this huge problem, when we had total 600 cases, 0 deaths and only 2 short hospitalizations.

Last edited:
Media seems to be a big player in all this. I feel bad for people walking around terrified because these sensational headlines in their face 24/7.
A neighbor here hasn't left their house in a full year. No joke, they've had groceries delivered to their door and haven't had a single visitor or left their property since March 2020. They're late 60's and otherwise healthy.

Imagine if all of your news came from the media and you had no connection to the community? What's healthier? doing that? or getting out and taking some sort of measured risk by getting exercise and talking to people?

From Toronto. Still in lockdown.
I have 4 kids ranging in age from 23 to 10 and my oldest’s girlfriend is the only other person in our bubble. Luckily we have enough to play a decent game, and I’ve really enjoyed our poker nights together.
Being new to the whole poker scene, I’m surprised how many of my Zoom drinking buddies and neighbours actually play.
I have a list of 20 or so who are itching to play once restrictions are lifted. It’s definitely something to look forward to.
Planning to host a regular game in my backyard in the summer once we’re all vaccinated.
Now if I could only find a decent set of chips.......

Any Canadian members back to hosting home games? If so, any new rules you have had to enforce? How is your province handling Covid?
Hell NO!

Police WILL fine a person hosting home Poker $2300. It has already happened a few times in our great province.

Neighbors WILL rat and call the police if you gather people in your home. The host can and will be fined $2300. It has already happened many times with another fine handed out to a West Vancouver family trying to run a "sex/gender reveal" party, just a few days ago.

I don't follow politics, so that's my own problem, but there is NO CHANCE of home poker returning to my home in 2021. IMHO

I'm a little more optimistic than that. Now that we have 4 approved vaccines, including J&J one shot, I think we've got a decent chance at opening up by midsummer.
Is that what you'll tell the Police officer handing you the fine though?

The BC government did just announce to prepare for this pandemic "lockdown" to persist through the year.

Is that what you'll tell the Police officer handing you the fine though?

The BC government did just announce to prepare for this pandemic "lockdown" to persist through the year.

In no way will I encourage anybody to violate provincial health restrictions, regardless if there is a fine associated with it or not.

Call me naive, but there might be a slight political angle to this. Underpromise and overdeliver. Won't the provincial government look like 5-star heroes if they say "persist in lockdown until the end of the calendar year" and then announce the ability to lessen some restrictions by late spring and then a full re-opening by the start of the school year?

And besides, we're not exactly in full lockdown, and haven't been for a very long time. Far from ideal, but also not nearly as draconian as many other jurisdictions.

And besides, we're not exactly in full lockdown, and haven't been for a very long time.
That may be. The police are real enough. The fines are real enough.

Vaccination selection or abundance isn't going to change this type of policy in the short term.

Call me negative. I hope you are right and I'm stupid.

I've flushed $30K down this hobby inside of 2 years, and then told I can't use any of my stuff. It's been difficult. I want to host..

I just see no chance. Let's hope I'm blind.

A neighbor here hasn't left their house in a full year. No joke, they've had groceries delivered to their door and haven't had a single visitor or left their property since March 2020. They're late 60's and otherwise healthy.

Imagine if all of your news came from the media and you had no connection to the community? What's healthier? doing that? or getting out and taking some sort of measured risk by getting exercise and talking to people?

Sad about your neighbor. This isn't the norm however. It's a very far side of the spectrum, anecdotal example. Also, you don't have to chose constant isolation or free-for-all back to normal. There's a balance to all of this.

In Alberta, probably the most lax province in Canada in terms of Covid restrictions, it's been illegal to have private indoor social gatherings since late November.

I was invited to a game this Friday and I'm going. Hope the host's neighbours aren't ass hats and rat us out. Another group has been hosting games on a farm as it's remote and zero chance of getting busted. But I've been too lazy to make the trip out there.

Played last night until 4:30am. Had a great time. It was 25¢/50¢ dealer's choice. Cashed out +$410. God damn did I miss poker. Time to turn that $410 into more poker chips.

To a point, the counter argument I have to that is 1.) Medical professionals calling the shots ONLY seemed concerned about the impact of Covid on health, not mental health, economic health (which has physical health costs as well) or even other ailments like delayed elective surgeries.
It is their job to gives guidance on health including mental health. "Economic health" is not something they would offer or be asked for guidance on. I beleive that this would be the job of the various provincial ministers to weight in on. Then the Premiere would then make the actual decision.

2.) Some of these restrictions are pretty stupid like the non-essential item law in Manitoba (friend was denied buying a space heater), curfews, Families of 7 being broken up into separate tables at restaurants. I mean I was on board for the first two weeks and some time after that, but after 12 months I don't need someone telling me I can't have a beer with a friend.
No one is telling you that you can't have a beer with a friend. You seem to go full hyperbolic with your examples here.

The situation with your neighbor is utterly heartbreaking.

Sad about your neighbor. This isn't the norm however. It's a very far side of the spectrum, anecdotal example. Also, you don't have to chose constant isolation or free-for-all back to normal. There's a balance to all of this.

Well, I don't pretend to know the situation about your neighbour, but there's no need for us to be sad. It may not be what we want for ourselves, but it could be that the neighbour is doing just fine, and that just what he chooses to do. There are a whole variety of normally reclusive people who are just riding this whole thing out like it's a minor inconvenience.

If you read my other posts you’d see I agree. My example here in context is how this is negatively affecting people who only consume media on the subject.
It is their job to gives guidance on health including mental health. "Economic health" is not something they would offer or be asked for guidance on. I beleive that this would be the job of the various provincial ministers to weight in on. Then the Premiere would then make the actual decision.

No one is telling you that you can't have a beer with a friend. You seem to go full hyperbolic with your examples here.
This is the issue, they’ve handed the reigns over to the pho’s they are calling all the shots in many provinces. Only covid matters, and only covid deaths matter. The premieres aren’t making rational weighted decisions.

And yes, they ARE telling you not to have a beer with a friend. It’s literally against the law for me to go out with a friend to a restaurant, or have them over for a beer. Unless they live alone. So how is that hyperbolic? Even in BC where they’re not really enforcing it, it’s still against our current health restrictions. My dad (in MB) and his friend got turned away last week from a restaurant because they had to show ID that they were in the same household. Luckily now they just have to sign a paper.

tell me that’s not wrong?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom