Anyone in Canada back to hosting home games? (1 Viewer)

TheDonkeyKong

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
Any Canadian members back to hosting home games? If so, any new rules you have had to enforce? How is your province handling Covid?

Manitoba is a real shit show...... "lifted" some restrictions today, we can now have guests from 2 seperate households as "designated" guests and restaurants are finally allowing people to dine in. Only with members of the same household mind you. After alot of debating I came to the conclusion that enough is enough and it's time to start seeing my friends and family again, so I am ordering the fights and hosting 1 table of 1-2 Saturday. A 2 week shutdown to curb the spread I can wrap my head around, but for me this has been a year from hell. I'm thinking at some point I have to take my own happiness/quality of life into consideration and start moving forward.

I'm in Quebec! AFAIK, (and I could be way off on this, 'cause I don't keep up) we are in curfew from 8PM until 5AM. I'm not sure how many are allowed for private gatherings, but I'm sure it's not nine. Games (read: Heads Up matches) would have to be played between 5AM and 7:30PM. Playground Poker has been closed (for poker) since last March. It reopened briefly for slots only last Summer.

I'm not holding my breath for live poker anytime soon. I'm hoping that we get the vaccinations done and then see what's next.

Manitoba is a real shit show...... "lifted" some restrictions today, we can now have guests from 2 seperate households as "designated" guests and restaurants are finally allowing people to dine in. Only with members of the same household mind you. After alot of debating I came to the conclusion that enough is enough and it's time to start seeing my friends and family again, so I am ordering the fights and hosting 1 table of 1-2 Saturday. A 2 week shutdown to curb the spread I can wrap my head around, but for me this has been a year from hell. I'm thinking at some point I have to take my own happiness/quality of life into consideration and start moving forward.

Manitoba also, from PMH it's absolutely absurd the restrictions here at this point. We are still following the guidelines however. Last played November 10, we've been in lockdown (Hate saying that, but in the context of poker / socialization / kids hockey its fitting) ever since.

This week I queried what the temperature would need to be to play outside, sounds like there may be enough interest to play outside this Saturday (Forecast 13 degrees) on our covered patio area. Might impose our own Household + 5 if they don't loosen up after this ... my MLA is making a tough case for re-election by saying nothing, either for or against.

I'm in Quebec! AFAIK, (and I could be way off on this, 'cause I don't keep up) we are in curfew from 8PM until 5AM. I'm not sure how many are allowed for private gatherings, but I'm sure it's not nine. Games (read: Heads Up matches) would have to be played between 5AM and 7:30PM. Playground Poker has been closed (for poker) since last March. It reopened briefly for slots only last Summer.

I'm not holding my breath for live poker anytime soon. I'm hoping that we get the vaccinations done and then see what's next.
That curfew thing is ridiculous IMO. Covid doesn’t go to bed

I heard of someone here that had a poker game and the cops came and fined everyone. BC

That curfew thing is ridiculous IMO. Covid doesn’t go to bed
I was actually expecting it last year when lockdown started. It never happened then, but came around at the beginning of this year.

I bet if you determine the "when" of transmission as it applies to non essential workers, it would lean heavily towards 8PM-5AM.

Nothing for my local groups. I had my last game last July with mask and sanitizer precautions, and back when our daily positive test counts were in the single or very low double digits, hospitalizations very low. At this moment I think we are 25-50x the positive test rate and 4x the hospitalizations, so it makes no sense to start now. However, vaccination rollout should be really starting in earnest now, so just about everybody (apart from kids) will have at least 1 effective shot by the end of May or June (and the 50+ crowd should have had 2 if needed).

I find it interesting that the US FDA has approved the Johnson & Johnson vaccine but not the AstraZeneca one (yet), and Health Canada has done the opposite.

So in order to keep my sanity I avoid as much MSM as possible, what exactly is the plan for these vaccines? Are they saying they will be mandatory?

I’ve been hosting biweekly. Is it against the rules? Yes. But considering how inconsistent and fly by night these rules have been, I’m not really willing to let the powers that be run all aspects of my life. Now don’t get me wrong, we’re not conspiracy theorists, we don’t argue about masks, but we do still get together, hell I’m having a game tomorrow. If people want to stay home, great. But after 2 weeks in to flatten the curve hitting 12 months?? Yeah... I’m done.

Not to mention, all of the guys thst come to the games have kids in the same class as mine, we are all youngish and healthy, none of us are in contact with anyone at risk, and this is pretty much a requirement to maintain our mental health. We accept the risks. We only stopped when our town became a bit of a hotspot for a two week period, but even that turned out to be nothing with 300 cases in a week, no deaths and only 2 short hospitalizations.

I heard of someone here that had a poker game and the cops came and fined everyone. BC
Id be fighting that. The nice thing about BC is we’re not being told to snitch on neighbors. From what I’ve seen you have to be a real asshole to get a ticket. If everyone has masks (even just with them) and you shut it down when the police arrive I bet you wouldn’t get a ticket.

Right. So why do you need to be out and about after 8pm during a lockdown?
Why not? A year into this we really shouldn’t be calling it a lockdown anymore. If the governments can’t manage this after a year they can’t really tell people they aren’t allowed out of their homes. It’s getting beyond ridiculous.

Nothing for my local groups. I had my last game last July with mask and sanitizer precautions, and back when our daily positive test counts were in the single or very low double digits, hospitalizations very low. At this moment I think we are 25-50x the positive test rate and 4x the hospitalizations, so it makes no sense to start now. However, vaccination rollout should be really starting in earnest now, so just about everybody (apart from kids) will have at least 1 effective shot by the end of May or June (and the 50+ crowd should have had 2 if needed).

I find it interesting that the US FDA has approved the Johnson & Johnson vaccine but not the AstraZeneca one (yet), and Health Canada has done the opposite.
I heard Texas has opened up 100% and are no longer required to wear masks. I could be wrong but this is what I have read.

I heard Texas has opened up 100% and are no longer required to wear masks. I could be wrong but this is what I have read.

Somehow, I doubt that their infection/hospitalization numbers and vaccine rollout would safely support such a move. They can do whatever they want, as long as they accept the consequences. To claim ignorance of them at this point is also beyond ridiculous.

What about BC?
Do you know something?

We've been (overall) very lucky in BC, but still the current numbers are almost the worst they have ever been. But, as I said, as the vaccine rollouts gain momentum, then the positivity rate and (delayed) hospitalization rate should come down. It will take a bit of time. I'm as eager as anybody to get back to normal, but we'll need just a little more time. We've been at it a year already, another few months will still save many lives.

YES!! WE ALL IN MY FRIEND!!

20210130_171838.jpg
20201113_192706.jpg

E7F58AA1-6339-4721-A649-6C583D87C837.jpg
20150529_221009.jpg

Waiting for indoor gatherings to be approved in Alberta. My wife is ok with me hosting once we are 'allowed' as we suspect we have some people in our neighborhood who are itchy to call and report any suspected gatherings.

I plan for it to be a 48 hour bender to get everyone back in the swing and all the pent up poker withdrawals haha. The online game I've been running is drying up and my players are bored of online and are itching for the social aspect a lot.

What about BC?
Do you know something?
No sorry, that was just regarding Texas
Somehow, I doubt that their infection/hospitalization numbers and vaccine rollout would safely support such a move. They can do whatever they want, as long as they accept the consequences. To claim ignorance of them at this point is also beyond ridiculous.
To open 100% is premature I agree. I think they could have allowed businesses to open and keep mask mandates. Masks don't really hurt anyone, but rules like they have in Manitoba definitely do.
@JScott 100% agree, you would hope they would have a better gameplan other than stay home after a year.
My family is from Manitoba and still live there, the absolute insanity you guys are dealing with is beyond stupid. Carding people at restaurants to make sure they have the same address? The task forces and call numbers they put in place to encourage snitching? Not allowing people to buy books? The fact the Conservatives are that stupid is shocking. I actually know Brian Pallister, my dad's friend's with him and he won't even take his calls because he just gives him shit. They f**ked up for sure.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom