Anyone ever seen this? Paulson error mold? (3 Viewers)

That's not how any of this works..

The hole will just fill up with material (and look identical to the OP pics). The cups are installed in the mold cradle, which would supply a backstop to keep the clay from going anywhere.

The hole will just fill up with material (and look identical to the OP pics). The cups are installed in the mold cradle, which would supply a backstop to keep the clay from going anywhere.
Fair point, but wouldn't the mold cup be pretty thick, so even when in the mold cradle the clay would be like a stick of clay coming out of the chip, which I'd imagine is pretty easy to notice.

You do realize that clay chips have a finishing step, correct?

And chances are that 'stick' would break off in the mold, anyway.

You do realize that clay chips have a finishing step, correct?

And chances are that 'stick' would break off in the mold, anyway.
You do realize the factory workers would see it before it would be finished, correct?

And if that stick broke off in the mold it would probably fill up the whole hat, not just everything past it, making it look like a normal chip, not like the one shown here.

if that stick broke off in the mold it would probably fill up the whole hat, not just everything past it, making it look like a normal chip, not like the one shown here.
Not true. The chip's hat can't be filled, as it is a solid block of metal in the mold (creating the 'cavity' in the chip, and preventing it from being 'filled').

Not true. The chip's hat can't be filled, as it is a solid block of metal in the mold (creating the 'cavity' in the chip, and preventing it from being 'filled').
What I'm saying is that it would fill up the piece of metal in the mold that has been drilled with clay when compressed. Either that or it would fall out after being taken out of the mold, and the worker taking it out would see that happen. And regardless of all that, why the hell would Paulson cancel a mold? Why not just saw it in pieces and throw it out?

I’m puking now. As a process engineer I could never allow stray bits of product or extraneous material into my moving machinery- especially by design. Just creating other production problems.
It’s like designing an oil plug for your car that opens up and drains all the oil out at 5000 miles - while you are driving- so you don’t damage your engine with broken down oil. Of course your engine is damaged by lack of lubricant, but old oil isn’t the culprit anymore.

sorry i'll take the blame... was eating these too close to the chipe mold machine thingy...

No-Chill-Sugar-Cookies-Recipe-02-768x512.jpg

What I'm saying is that it would fill up the piece of metal in the mold that has been drilled with clay when compressed. Either that or it would fall out after being taken out of the mold, and the worker taking it out would see that happen. And regardless of all that, why the hell would Paulson cancel a mold? Why not just saw it in pieces and throw it out?
Exactly. Which is why I'm sticking with 'converted mold' theory. It's by far the most plausible.

Exactly. Which is why I'm sticking with 'converted mold' theory. It's by far the most plausible.
I'm not sure how that could be done, but I guess that's more plausible than the mold being drilled.

They were originally compression molded, but changed the molds to injection.

I purchased a 600pc lot of used roulette solids around two years ago from a fellow in Kentucky, and many of the chips bore those markings. I didn't notice them at first - someone on the forums did, and then eyebrows were raised all over the place. They felt like the real deal to me but those pips sure had me curious. I sent a sample chip to one of the folks at the CCA, and he concurred with my opinion - the chips were indeed made by Paulson. I then took the whole lot of them to ththe convention last year and put them in front of David Spragg, Eric Rosenblum, et. al., and everyone agreed. Paulson.

David suspected that the pips were basically just defects/imperfections in the mold itself and weren't caught in QA until after some chips had been produced on them and let into the wild. It's effectively its own mold variation, but one they'd rather not have in use (as evidenced by the fact that there aren't more of them out there). So far I've only seen those variations on solids.

These are the real fakes. Confirmed plastic cheapos
Thanks captain obvious. Was just pointing out the injection marks in the obviously counterfeit hats.
Compare those to the “converted injection points” on the OP’s “suspected but 100% sure they are Paulsons” and you can see that they are not the same.
Or you can just get hung up on the plastic chips themselves and miss the whole “point”

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom