Anyone else dislike 7-card no peek? (1 Viewer)

Salbino

High Hand
Reaction score
My family always played this game and I used to enjoy it but after getting used to betting in NL hold-em I can't stand this game. It kills me to have to bet 4, 5, 6, and sometimes more without ever turning over a card. I end up folding lots of times instead of continuing to bet.

The only solution I can think of is that all players flip the top card at the same time and betting begins with the highest card and then continues as such. Maybe even a bring-in by the lowest card for first like 7-card stud?

Hate is a strong word, but yes I definitely prefer knowing what my hand is. I've been to a few soft Dealer's Choice games though, and if this game's called once or twice an hour I'm not heartbroken, usually doing well enough in the others to cover some fun hands.

Hate is a strong word, but yes I definitely prefer knowing what my hand is. I've been to a few soft Dealer's Choice games though, and if this game's called once or twice an hour I'm not heartbroken, usually doing well enough in the others to cover some fun hands.
You’re right hate was too strong! But yeah same here I can probably deal with a couple hands a night but not much more than that

My home game is .25/.25, and we use 7CNP not as a mixed game but merely as a flip at the end of the night to scoop odd quarters from players stacks, netting someone the remaining dollar or two. No betting, just a dramatic means of randomizing who gets the change. We also get players running $1/5/20 no-peek flips on whims, before the games start, end of the night, during breaks, etc. just for some extra RNG degeneracy. Also no betting; purely just 'here's your 7 cards, flip until you're ahead then stop' and eventually someone wins.

We've tried variations that try to make it into an actual game involving betting, but pretty much everyone bounced off it and wasn't really interested in revisiting it.

Huge edge if you can plau it well but requires obnoxious nittiness (folding without seeing a card), positional awareness, and fairly deep knowledge of stud odds.

Much better IMO to do just an ante-only flip. I like 10 cards

Huge edge if you can plau it well but requires obnoxious nittiness (folding without seeing a card), positional awareness, and fairly deep knowledge of stud odds.

Much better IMO to do just an ante-only flip. I like 10 cards
My home game is .25/.25, and we use 7CNP not as a mixed game but merely as a flip at the end of the night to scoop odd quarters from players stacks, netting someone the remaining dollar or two. No betting, just a dramatic means of randomizing who gets the change. We also get players running $1/5/20 no-peek flips on whims, before the games start, end of the night, during breaks, etc. just for some extra RNG degeneracy. Also no betting; purely just 'here's your 7 cards, flip until you're ahead then stop' and eventually someone wins.

We've tried variations that try to make it into an actual game involving betting, but pretty much everyone bounced off it and wasn't really interested in revisiting it.
I like the idea of just doing an ante instead of betting rounds

My family always played this game and I used to enjoy it but after getting used to betting in NL hold-em I can't stand this game. It kills me to have to bet 4, 5, 6, and sometimes more without ever turning over a card. I end up folding lots of times instead of continuing to bet.

The only solution I can think of is that all players flip the top card at the same time and betting begins with the highest card and then continues as such. Maybe even a bring-in by the lowest card for first like 7-card stud?
Just played this last night, 7card no peeky, spread limit (25c-$5). Tried to convince everyone to limit the betting but they laughed it off and ignored me. So when I flipped over 3 jacks, I bet $5 and got 4 callers. Goofy game, but they held just fine.

Just played this last night, 7card no peeky, spread limit (25c-$5). Tried to convince everyone to limit the betting but they laughed it off and ignored me. So when I flipped over 3 jacks, I bet $5 and got 4 callers. Goofy game, but they held just fine
Yeah, see I would have folded to the three jacks. I can't bet 5 times without ever seeing one of my cards it just irks me hahahaha

Yeah, see I would have folded to the three jacks. I can't bet 5 times without ever seeing one of my cards it just irks me hahahaha
Yup, anyone that cared about the stats would definitely fold to the JJJ, but not these apes. They have a reputation to uphold.

Love me some night baseball. :p (Follow the queen, duck rules)
  • If a queen is flipped, stop and have a betting round.
  • The last queen flipped, (and down queens) are wild.
  • If the last down card flipped is a queen, a card is dealt to determine the wild, after the aforementioned betting round (it doesn’t belong to anyone and isn’t a community card. It just sets the wild.)

Also, I think the solution in the OP is a fine way to fix the positional issues with the game.

Last edited:
If I wanted to play bingo games, I’d go to a church. Not a big fan of many of these goofy variants. It’s probably because I don’t like gambling, although I can accept the fact that sometimes in poker you have to gamble. But games that are basically gambling 100% of the time? No.

This game been in my family FOR-EV-ER! Definitely not hold em, but family dealer call it, it gets played plenty. Meet ups have WAAAY worse circus games that are more pointless than Mexican sweat!

Love me some night baseball. :p (Follow the queen, duck rules)
  • If a queen is flipped, stop and have a betting round.
  • The last queen flipped, (and down queens) are wild.
  • If the last down card flipped is a queen, a card is dealt to determine the wild, after the aforementioned betting round (it doesn’t belong to anyone and isn’t a community card. It just sets the wild.)

Also, I think the solution in the OP is a fine way to fix the positional issues with the game.
My family has so many games with tons of rules like that it makes me so crazy lol Honestly, the only thing I can think of is to make it an ante only OR everyone flips a card at the same time and the best hand starts the betting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom