An update on hotstamping (2 Viewers)

David Spragg

Flush
Site Vendor
Reaction score
FOILS

Firstly, the machine appears to be running ok but we are short on foil so are still sourcing/testing that.
Samples of gold & silver from the old ASM supplier turned out a little different and harder to use than we expected so we are awaiting some different samples to test.

We tested some colored foils also and found one type that works well so have ordered a small (in relative terms) amount of that type in red, blue & green.

MOLDS

We can't stamp adequately (or at all) on DSQ, HCE, FDL, NO MOLD, HOURGLASS or B-DIAMOND so those are not offered.
We won't know about DIECAR or SCROLL until they are next installed.
We can offer ACREST, HHR, CSQ & JOCKEY.
Keep in mind the central stampable area is smaller on some than others.

CHIP COLORS

We had some reservations about stamping gold on all colors (particularly lighter & dayglo ones) but all colors will work.
That said we don't recommend white or bright white purely because gold is very hard to see against them even though they stamp fine.
We will only stamp chips that we have freshly produced for specific orders. (ie we won't stamp previously made chips - by us or anyone else)

DIES

As I previously posted elsewhere we currently have 2 different alpha font sets, one numeric set and one denomination set. We are looking to buy another set in a more modern style that will give us letters, numbers, currency symbols & a few punctuation characters. Anything else would have to be custom ordered at the customers expense (and would remain their property). It is possible to just about stamp '10000' on an Amold (the biggest area) but it is tight.
When using the single character sets 4 is really the maximum width and with letters (which are slightly wider than the numerals) 3 max is best. Bear in mind you can't get the stamp perfectly centered on all chips so the more area is taken up with the stamp the more noticeable that will be. Rather like having a colored ring round the edge of an inlay.

PRICING

Custom dies have to be paid for by the customer at actual cost. For our size of dies that typically varies from $50-$100 per die.
Each stamping job and/or change of dies requires some setup. To try and come up with a formula which is fair for the extremes - ie a 5 x 100 chip order with different die on both sides of all 5 vs a 5000 chip order all on one die both sides, I've broken the pricing down as follows:
A fixed setup charge of $25
A charge for each subsequent die change of $10
A hot stamping charge of 13c per chip

We would hope to be in a position to be actually stamping orders from mid-Jan (although of course no-one placing an order right now is going to have their chips made by then anyway!) To put it another way, if you place a hotstamp order now then it won't be delayed due to any stamping issues, so go ahead. :)

I will show a few pics below now to illustrate most of the above and then add to this if I or anyone else thinks of things I've missed.

It is not always easy to get a good scan of gold foil, particularly when scanning multiple colors so you will have to believe me that all the stamps on the scans below are spot on :)

DENOM SET/ODD COLORS
This scan shows the full denom set we have. I posted a pic of some of the dies before. We managed to locate a full matching set of 13 pieces from 5c to $1000. They've been stamped on some of the colors we thought were trickier to stamp to show they work fine and save doing two tests. Also excuse them being off center, we didn't bother aligning the die 13 times to stamp out a couple of each only. :)
hs1.jpg

Here is an example showing the 10000 just fitting on the Amold and an example of the red foil.
hs2.jpg
hs3.jpg

Last edited:
So you will be trying out a new gold?

Any ETA on when you might be able to go live with hot stamping?

So you will be trying out a new gold?

Any ETA on when you might be able to go live with hot stamping?

Did you read this bit? :)
"we are awaiting some different samples to test"

I added the ETA in the OP as I don't think it's an issue anyway.

Last edited:
Die cost seems high. When I was in the market for a hot stamp project a few years ago I was quoted less than $20 (less than $10 in one instance) per die from third party stampers. Have you explored all your options here?

When will these be available?

:D

Die cost seems high. When I was in the market for a hot stamp project a few years ago I was quoted less than $20 (less than $10 in one instance) per die from third party stampers. Have you explored all your options here?

We use a high temperature, high pressure industrial machine. Requires solid brass dies. They've always been that price. Rubber or Aluminium would melt on our machine. They are fine for someone doing it on a small machine at home but tend to be a 'one use' item. That's the difference.

Also, we need dies laser or CNC cut and ground to within a couple of thou. Not something you can achieve with other materials that transfer the heat required.

Awesome news David!

2 quick questions - are there any issues will a hot stamping chips with edge spots, and will you have any samples available at some point?

Awesome news David!

2 quick questions - are there any issues will a hot stamping chips with edge spots, and will you have any samples available at some point?

No difference stamping a chip with edge spots or a solid. You can't stamp pies though.
Only samples I have are a few of these. We will do some others at some point but there won't be much variety, it is just too costly when there isn't really a great deal of interest.

hssamples.jpg

Reactions: hod
No difference stamping a chip with edge spots or a solid. You can't stamp pies though.
Only samples I have are a few of these. We will do some others at some point but there won't be much variety, it is just too costly when there isn't really a great deal of interest.
View attachment 24337

Cool thanks - understood on the samples, I think a single chip would do fine. I'm just curious to see the impression - the chip hot stamps I've seen range from a deeper impression like those on Paulson PCR/Avalons to something closer to a thin coating like on the mass produced plastic chips. Looks like these are somewhere in-between.

Cool thanks - understood on the samples, I think a single chip would do fine. I'm just curious to see the impression - the chip hot stamps I've seen range from a deeper impression like those on Paulson PCR/Avalons to something closer to a thin coating like on the mass produced plastic chips. Looks like these are somewhere in-between.

These are similar to the Paulson's. The mass produced plastics tend to be silk screened rather than hot stamped. On the surface only and wears off quick.

So its not possible to replicate this oldschool stamp style?
dovetail.jpg

Well, you can stamp them, its just that unless you are careful with colors and stamp, they are not going to look very good.
Bear in mind you don't always get nice straight lines on the pie joins.

Ah crapcrapcrap. At Christmas time too?! You are a bad bad man... in a good way.

Edit - if ASM did custom hot stamps when I got the chips in my avatar, I'd be Scrouge McDuck-ing in hot stamps just now.

My brain told me that said Arnold the first time I read it. I guess I either need better glasses or a better font. :)

You should see that in cursive @jbutler @BGinGA

@David Spragg thanks for the scan. Based on what I see, I have no problems stamping gold on a yellow chip. As I mentioned in an email there will be changes to my orders when I get the Peacock in my hand. I'll send all changes in one email.

Fingers crossed for Scroll. That'll be my next project after the current one, if it can be stamped...

Can I put my weenie away now?
Sheesh, now I can't change my avatar ever again....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom