Roommates suck at keeping track of home game balances, HELP (1 Viewer)

Yenaled

Sitting Out
Reaction score
So my roommates and I play poker pretty much every night, so we decided to just keep a running tally of each of our balances on a whiteboard. We realized things were starting to go wrong when out scores did not add up to zero! At this point we have 40 dollars more than we should....

I have told them already that we need a new system so that we don't make any more mistakes. I've been trying to get everyone to write all buy-ins/cash outs for the whole night, then in the morning we can check and confirm that it all adds up properly. Problem is they are not always doing that, and even when we tried, the whiteboard gets messy fast. They are all so confident to just update their total without anyone else confirming or anything, and we all have marker privileges soooo.... long story short its mayhem and we havent come up a solution, and we also haven't come up with a way to deal with the extra 40 dollars that now exists out of thin air.

PLEASE if anyone has any solutions I would really appreciate it. And especially something that doesnt involve me being a dick. I'm not accusing anyone in particular, any one of us could have messed up and I understand that, but them not so much. Some of them are convinced they never mess up counting but clearly they do... so yeah. Idk what to do.

So my roommates and I play poker pretty much every night, so we decided to just keep a running tally of each of our balances on a whiteboard. We realized things were starting to go wrong when out scores did not add up to zero! At this point we have 40 dollars more than we should....

I have told them already that we need a new system so that we don't make any more mistakes. I've been trying to get everyone to write all buy-ins/cash outs for the whole night, then in the morning we can check and confirm that it all adds up properly. Problem is they are not always doing that, and even when we tried, the whiteboard gets messy fast. They are all so confident to just update their total without anyone else confirming or anything, and we all have marker privileges soooo.... long story short its mayhem and we havent come up a solution, and we also haven't come up with a way to deal with the extra 40 dollars that now exists out of thin air.

PLEASE if anyone has any solutions I would really appreciate it. And especially something that doesnt involve me being a dick. I'm not accusing anyone in particular, any one of us could have messed up and I understand that, but them not so much. Some of them are convinced they never mess up counting but clearly they do... so yeah. Idk what to do.
We doesn't make a banker. One person runs the bank or this will happen. If you got $40 extra, count your blessings that it's extra and not short, have a quick freeroll tourny for the extra money, then start with one person running the bank.

Three guests check into a hotel room. The manager says the bill is $30, so each guest pays $10. Later the manager realizes the bill should only have been $25. To rectify this, he gives the bellhop $5 as five one-dollar bills to return to the guests.

On the way to the guests' room to refund the money, the bellhop realizes that he cannot equally divide the five one-dollar bills among the three guests. As the guests are not aware of the total of the revised bill, the bellhop decides to just give each guest $1 back and keep $2 as a tip for himself, and proceeds to do so.

As each guest got $1 back, each guest only paid $9, bringing the total paid to $27. The bellhop kept $2, which when added to the $27, comes to $29. So if the guests originally handed over $30, what happened to the remaining $1?

Everyone else already said it, have only one person take responsibility for future banking tasks. Ya'll can take turns if you want.

As to how to rectify the $40, since everyone share the blame, split it evenly, or play credit card roulette to see who's the unlucky one.

By the way, settle the ledger at the end of the night. Don't do a running tally. It's just added complication that doesn't add much convenience

what's the saying - to many chefs in the kitchen. only have one person responsible for bank

Three guests check into a hotel room. The manager says the bill is $30
I Immediately imagined a room with one of those old coin operated vibrating bed doohickeys and didn't see another word you typed.

Night Love GIF by Chippy the Dog

Even with one banker, I don’t like buyins that are just tracked on paper. My family plays together all the time over the summer. We each have a pencil-case-sleeve-thingy (official term) that starts the summer with 20 buy-ins, including a fair amount of coins (we play .05/.05). Every buyin comes from that player’s stash. Every cash out goes back into it.

People tend to mess up a lot less with real money (IMHO)!

No running tally from night to night. One person is the banker for the night. This way you can rotate bankers when there is no carry over.

Back when players used to show up with cash, managing cash games was way easier. But these days, me and my friends handle all money transfers through Venmo. Its always a 15 min hassle at the end of every game to figure out who needs to pay who.

So I created a website to handle all of this:

https://www.tarnib.live/poker

No login required, supposed to be a very quick and lightweight tool that you can pull out on your phone.

Simply create a room, and start adding players. You can edit buy in amounts by clicking on a player's row in the list of players.

Once players start to leave, or when the game ends, click on the players, and enter their cash out amount. Once all cash outs are entered, the reimbursements are calculated, and displayed for the least amount of transactions necessary.

All rooms created can be accessed in the list of rooms on https://www.tarnib.live/poker, in case you accidentally closed your tab. If you don't want strangers seeing your home game results, you can set an optional password. You can also give your room an optional name to easily find it in the list of rooms. Rooms in the list will be deleted 1 week from creation to reduce clutter.

If you want to save your results, you can click the save icon on the top right, which will print the results in PDF format, and save it on your device (if colors don't work in the PDF, make sure to enable background graphics in the advanced settings).

My friends and I have been using this for our cash games for a few months now, and usually send a screenshot of the results in our group chat at the end of every game. Now that I'm a part of PCF, I wanted to share it here.

I strongly recommend that only 1 person be in charge of handling changes in your room, as changes made on one device will not show on other devices unless the page is refreshed.

Hopefully the website is self explanatory, and you shouldn't have any issued navigating it, but if you do feel free to leave any feedback or constructive criticism on this thread.
I just posted this, check it out and see if that helps with your problem

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom