American Legion Post - Tourney Final Table (1 Viewer)

How wide should the backwoods mountain redneck make the rails on his table build?

• 6" - Everybody uses 6" for a reason. Stop over-thinkin' it numb-n*ts.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5-1/2" - 'Cause dumb-*ss rednecks havin' to work with fractions can be entertaining.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • 5" - It's good enough for Barrington tables & it's plenty.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other - Read my glorious/stellar/stunning/drug-induced/out in left field reasons in a post below.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dix

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
The frozen mountain wilderness of W.Poland, Maine
Figured I'd toss this up here for sh*ts & giggles. Since folks in this joint enjoy sharing their opinions & there's usually no shortage of 'em... hell, maybe y'all can talk me into/out of a thing or two I'm kinda on the fence about.

As the title implies, this going to be the final table for our Legion Post tourneys. I just sent @T_Chan the final draft of the felt....

Table Sketch3a.png

The graphics are the emblems of all four branches of "The Legion Family" surrounding the Post name & a large bald eagle/US flag/US Constitution image. Clockwise from top left, American Legion, American Legion Auxiliary, Legion Riders, & Sons of the American Legion.

The build is going to be an interesting challenge. It's been a half-dozen or so years since my last table build, previous tables have all been straight-up ovals or round. This kinda "compound elliptical" w/dealer cutout will be fun..... or frustrating as h*ll... we'll see. :D

I know I've got to make a custom router jig for the long side (7-1/2' x 4-1/2' for the rail) cuts, while the current one I have will work for the dealer side shorter ones. So there's an extra project thrown into the mix.

There's a couple things I'm kind of on the fence about...

Previous builds have always had a low rail. I'm thinking raised rail for this one, or maybe even go lighted raised. I think I can guess which way opinions around here swing on that. :D

Also, my previous builds have always had a 6" wide rail. (& most builds chronicled here do also) Maybe it's just me but I was thinking I might cut that down to 5". The Barrington tables that we have as general tourney tables rails are 5" & they seem like a decent width. 6 always seemed a bit on the wide side. But again, maybe that's just me. That's something I think I'd really like some feedback on. Maybe split the difference at 5-1/2"? HEY! I think I just found my 1st poll.... why the h*ll not?

One monkey wrench in the 6" wide rail plan. Make it a raised rail & with this thing already being 54" in overall width, 61" vinyl might not quite cut it. At minimum be tough as all get out to do the ends by the dealer cut.

At any rate, once I get a couple other things finished up in the shop, this is an upcoming project. Wish me luck. Or, stay tuned for the horror show/comedy of errors. :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom