Am I toast? (1 Viewer)

Yup. It's over. Time to just pray.
1680994364217.gif

We used to melt pure lead in an unventilated basement over and over to make “body armor” for clay figurines to use for pellet gun target practice. That was 35 years ago, and I’m still healthy. I think you’ll be fine.

My buddies uncle was a dentist, and he had given him one of the lead-lined vests used for x-rays. We took the lead out. We also may have made “tributes” of the weirdly shaped tokens the local arcade used too, to see if they would allow us some “free” games…..
This reminded me my dad melted pure Lead and handled lead type for 20+ years doing letterpress printing in Malta back in the 60's and 70's. He's still ok

This reminded me my dad melted pure Lead and handled lead type for 20+ years doing letterpress printing in Malta back in the 60's and 70's. He's still ok
This is one of the best video's that chronicle a Newspaper press' Linotype & Ludlow machines giving way to newer technology. My father and thousands of others used to handle and melt slugs of lead every single day to give you a newspaper 2x a day. The process is so fascinating compared to how we put ink on paper these days. Software and 1 person replaced all of these guys.

So the other night I was high as balls off edibles (as most bad stories start) and I thought it would be funny to sharpen a chip. So I’m shaving it away until I see the the material change to something that looks greyish. Then I remember OH FUCK… these have lead in them. So I immediately threw away the chip and the sharpener which had a little bit of the grey material on it and then washed my hands. Does anyone know how much lead these things contain and more importantly, am I toast?
UPDATE: so I fished the chip out of the trash and got one of these things from home depot. And we’ll boys… it looks like I’m toast
E29E9E78-E75C-4538-BC0F-19BF35C15D5D.jpeg

Yeah but you have to swab another lead tester up your nose and down your throat to see if any got in.
yea I’m gonna see if my insurance will hook it up with one of those finger prick tests, just for the pcf content

I've handled more raw lead in my lifetime than anybody I know. Worked in industrial radiography, using lead sheets for all sorts of purposes (shielding, intensification, identification lettering, etc.).

Never ate any, or ground any into dust, but rarely wore gloves or protective gear either (was much more concerned with X- and gamma radiation exposure than lead).

I'm still here.
And his avatar is really him

Well, it had to happen to someone. @Josh Kifer would’ve been a better choice, but the only things he fondles come out of the ground and are delicious when fried.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom