All things True Detective Season 2....... (1 Viewer)

Not season 2 but just clocked Jb's post on le grand bleu

783188789490897295.jpg

Are you sure this is a bootleg, Jack?

If "Yes", what tipped you off? Have you had special training?

If they did this for all official DVD releases, I'd be inclined to buy more

Figured vest. Amirite

that's my thought as well (notably the quote from the supervising officer in the preview for next week, he says his guy "got shot" not "got killed"), but how reasonable is it that you'd be hit once from 6 feet and once from point blank with a 12 gauge and make it? i honestly don't know. but i would love for them to have the balls to off the guy right away like this.

Not season 2 but just clocked Jb's post on le grand bleu

Are you sure this is a bootleg, Jack?

If "Yes", what tipped you off? Have you had special training?

If they did this for all official DVD releases, I'd be inclined to buy more

it does have amazing full frontal action...

Villain should have done head shot with shell #2, so obv rigged. I think he makes it but props if wasted.

my thoughts on this week's ep:

(1) srsly colin farrell srsly? fuck.
(2) beyond the most basic structure, i have no fucking idea what's going on at this point.

(2) beyond the most basic structure, i have no fucking idea what's going on at this point.

if they are intending to operate within the confines of a traditional film noir, this is kind of not a big deal. most film noir is so convoluted and goes down so many rabbit holes and double backs so many times, most people have no idea what happened. the strength of the genre is that it is episodic in nature and can be appreciated for the interactions and moments between the characters and the overall setting.

the best illustration of this a story about the difficulties in the production of the Big Sleep, the Raymond Chandler novel. William Faulkner (yes, really) was attempting to adapt the book into a screenplay, but couldn't for the life of him figure out who had killed this one particular guy in the story. finally he broke down and called Chandler who told him, "hell, i don't know. it doesn't really matter."

that said, it's a bit more frustrating following a film noir stretched over 10 or so hour-long episodes when you're trying hard as hell to figure out where the hell they went and why and who cares who that one guy is and where have i see him before and why does this guy hate this other guy so much? i might just have to rewatch a couple episodes.

I've watched every episode at least three times and still have no clue.

Not seen EP 3 yet but hope to catch it tonight.

I found last week's installment a little disorientating. Part long work days, part kids-related exhaustion, part mumbly dialogue, part my hearing's not what it used to be.

I expect to be in a state of confusion for around 15-20% of proceedings.

I think the noir theory is sound.

Would never post a spoiler report only minutes after the show ended

But.....god that episode started slow as shit...again

Now for the last 15 mins, I'm back in. Need more of that

watching in an hour...now excited for it even if i have to sit through a slow ass start...

okay, last scene was well done, but didn't really do much for the stalling narrative imo. or maybe i'm just not able to understand how the narrative would be impacted because i still don't have any idea what the fuck is going on.

my inability to follow the show doesn't seem to be unique, however. i read three different recaps of the show and all three basically glossed over every other plot point that came before the shootout. i have to imagine it's because the recap writers will have to go back to their color-coded diagrams of characters and previous oblique references to figure out what the hell is happening before they can report on it.

i'm not opposed to stuff that requires a second viewing to appreciate, but i really, really hope that a second viewing of this season can bring some of this stuff into focus. at this point, it's pretty much impenetrable imo.

i'm not totally on board with the David Morse as white jesus dad, but i'll give him some time. he's always been sort of like Bill Paxton in that he only really has one speed as an actor, so his part has to be super tailored to his abilities or else he's awful.

Generally agree with you, but I thought he did a pretty decent job in The Green Mile. Not his usual one-dimensional portrayal.

another 45 mins of wasted television time, final 15 mins were solid though

if we could just rid the show of all things Vince Vaughn, the show might actually be pretty good

Does VV remind anybody else of a really bad Christopher Walken portrayal? Every episode, I keep expecting him to start telling a watch/rectum story...

i haven't even had the patience to finish last week's episode yet...

Does VV remind anybody else of a really bad Christopher Walken portrayal? Every episode, I keep expecting him to start telling a watch/rectum story...
putting a cowbell in his hand would make him more entertaining at this point, all his scenes are cringeworthy

I don't know why I have forced myself to push through this season, but so far I 've watched every episode. I agree that Vaughn is the showkiller. I think thw show fibnally is pcking up steam , the last few episodes have been a little better IMO.

I don't know why I have forced myself to push through this season, but so far I 've watched every episode. I agree that Vaughn is the showkiller. I think thw show fibnally is pcking up steam , the last few episodes have been a little better IMO.

i tried my best to force feed the last few episodes, but i think i'm out until some point in the future where i'm really, really hard up for something to watch. they did their best to draw me in, but even with rachel mcadams, there's only so much i can slog through.

There was a lot of Rachel MacAdams in the second half of last weeks episode, which is probably why I enjoyed it more than the rest of the season. At this point I'm invested, even if it means hate watching the final 2 episodes.

8 episodes 8 hours, ive probably wasted 8 hours on much worse, a few that come to mind, any time i spent watching sons of anarchy, last season of sopranos, season 2 of the wire, the last 3 seasons of walking dead

8 episodes 8 hours, ive probably wasted 8 hours on much worse, a few that come to mind, any time i spent watching sons of anarchy...season 2 of the wire...

i won't argue too hard about sons of anarchy other than to say it wasn't all terrible. but that shit about season 2 of the wire - that is some horrible opinion-having right there.

XoAsuHc.gif

I've been quite enjoying it, as has the missus.

It's light years away from season 1 but it's still a decent cop drama. The unicorn flashback was hilarious. Dirty, dirty hilly. Bad hippy!

We'll see it through to the end fo sho.

Im a wire apologist too, often pleading with friends to give it a shot. Just a non-fan of season 2

Well it's nowhere remotely close to season 1, but Eyes Wide Shut Rachel was fun. [emoji108]

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom