A rambling list of my questions (1 Viewer)

Please bear with me, but I’ve always had a nagging list of questions in the back of my mind and now I finally have a place that I can ask and get reliable answers.

1) If someone crushes (let’s say he wins multiple buyins a large majority of the time and is definitely a winning player) your home game but is genuinely a nice and fun guy, will you invite him back? He has perfect poker etiquette but plays on the tighter side.

2) You really enjoy poker. You’re better than your friends by a lot and you feel bad about taking their money. Do you sandbag some games? I feel it is disrespectful to opponents if someone is not trying their best, yet I also relate to not wanting to always take a friend’s money. Yes, I know, they’re all playing poker willingly and trying to take each other’s money too. But still.

3) For my home game, I’m struggling with setting the blinds. Too small and it’s not serious and just not as fun. Too big and you’re taking real money from your friends. For added context, my friends have a wide range of incomes which makes this situation even more difficult. $10 to one person might mean as much as $100 to another. Any advice here?

4) Do you play in a routine home game with your close friends? If so, are there clear winners and losers and everyone is okay with it? Or do you play a home game with mostly acquaintenances and a few friends where you don’t feel as bad when you consistently win?

5) Besides obvious violations of etiquette and decorum, what are your pet peeves at home games?
Personally, my main goal is for everyone to feel comfortable and have a good time. The stakes should be high enough that if they win, it’s worth something, but if they lose their money, they aren’t upset about it. I don’t think you should sandbag as I feel they are voluntarily gambling their money. Follow your instincts and if everyone is having fun and coming back, you’re running a great game.

I may be in the minority, but I accept tips for my unranked game. I supply decent quality everything from table and chips to water/beer/ice/snacks/food, and let them use my basement every week. Most nights my tips equal about what I spent on food. I dont ask for them, mind you.
I agree and do this too. I usually get 10-20 a night. Nothing earth shattering, but enough to motivate me to keep buying cards and stuff. If a few winners leave me a few bucks I am happy. I always leave a few bucks for the house as a guest too.

Is it the poker that your group finds most enjoyable or just hanging out and the poker is fun but just another reason to get together? I have both and my answers would be almost exact opposites for each game though a few players play in both.

I’ve only hosted one game so far but I’ve come to dislike people who say they will show up but end up not showing up with no text or phone call.
Dude, the worst.

Order from love to hate:
1. People who respond immediately or very quickly with a yes!
2. People who respond immediately or very quickly with a no!
3. People who ghost you - no response ever, and they don't show obviously.
4. People who respond yes, but cancel at the last minute...almost as bad as #5.
5. People who respond yes, but don't show...ignoring those with BDTC excuses (Bleeding, Dying, Throwing up, COVID-19).

Last edited:
Hack, use google with the site:pokerchipforum.com specifier, sometimes it works better than PCF native search.
That's a very usefull tool, but it works even better if you use "site: pokerchipforum.com".
To be honest, I'm having some problems getting your suggestion to work...

@Mr Winberg ha I didn't notice the emoji.

But to make it work there cannot be a space between "site:" and "pokerchipforum.com"

It's the same reason ": p" when next to each other is an emoji.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom