A Raised Rail Build - Double Ring Design? [March ...delayed] (1 Viewer)

justsomedude

Straight Flush
Reaction score
I'm planning out my 2nd table build, and am thinking about a "simple" raised rail design (similar to @markleteenie's build), with the double-wood-ring approach.

Conceptual sketch below:

1583094037308.png

Has anyone done this before?
Any thoughts/concerns/advice before I begin?

Last edited:
Reactions: 72o
Built my table like this 9 years ago and it’s held up well. Very simple design that just works. The middle piece of plywood was solid however, no room for ant races.

My only other thought would be that 6” wide before foam and vinyl gets to be quite wide but that’s a personal preference.

Can’t remember if my rail is 4” or 5” wide. I will check later. Edit: Checked, it's 5".

Attachments

• 8ABD8DC2-E0FF-472F-9EF7-D8C750527B7B.jpeg
    8ABD8DC2-E0FF-472F-9EF7-D8C750527B7B.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 483
  • 822BC3C1-6E32-42A5-8A97-2BD5F8C65633.jpeg
    822BC3C1-6E32-42A5-8A97-2BD5F8C65633.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 513
  • 5788E7B2-8BED-4EC9-BCB6-6A10A92D9317.jpeg
    5788E7B2-8BED-4EC9-BCB6-6A10A92D9317.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 481
Last edited:
Built my table like this 9 years ago and it’s held up well. Very simple design that just works. The middle piece of plywood was solid however, no room for ant races.

My only other thought would be that 6” wide before foam and vinyl gets to be quite wide but that’s a personal preference.

Can’t remember if my rail is 4” or 5” wide. I will check later.

Yea, that's just a dimension I used for the detail. It will most likely be a 5" rail, like my last build.

And thanks for chiming in! It's nice to see people have done this design before with success! :tup:

EDIT: The only reason I'm taking the extra step of making the double-ring is so I can remove the finished/raised reveal part if needed for future repair/re-veneer/re-acrylic/etc. I'd just rather work with a removable smaller ring, than the entire 5-6" rail piece.

Can’t remember if my rail is 4” or 5” wide. I will check later.
Yeah, I'd agree with 6" being too wide for my personal preference. Most of my builds have been with 4.5" to 5" rails.

Nice CAD drawing man. :tup: I went with a very similar approach to my raised rail. The only difference is my bottom support piece goes all the way to the edge (I just wanted the extra support for the rail but it was probably just me over thinking it).

Knollwoods rail section.jpg

Last edited:
Nice CAD drawing man. :tup: I went with a very similar approach to my raised rail. The only difference is my bottom support piece goes all the way to the edge (I just wanted the extra support for the rail but it was probably just me over thinking it).

Thanks! :)

And the only reason I'm not going wider on the support piece, is because I just don't want to buy another sheet of plywood. :p

Reactions: 72o
I'm planning out my 2nd table build, and am thinking about a "simple" raised rail design (similar to @markleteenie's build), with the double-wood-ring approach.

Conceptual sketch below:

View attachment 416153

Has anyone done this before?
Any thoughts/concerns/advice before I begin?
Mine works extremely well.

I left a little space - ant race track if you will - so I could staple the fabric in that area without the Staples and excess vinyl interfering with the raised inside ring's leveling.
Might not have affected it but I didn't mind the extra work.

Mine works extremely well.

I left a little space - ant race track if you will - so I could staple the fabric in that area without the Staples and excess vinyl interfering with the raised inside ring's leveling.
Might not have affected it but I didn't mind the extra work.

How wide is your ant-track?

Following. I can't wait to see how this turns out. I will be building 2 of these raised rail tables in the near future.

@justsomedude - here are the pictures I promised of the inner ring. I lowered the table by a couple inches yesterday, so had it taken apart.

As you can see, I have all of my railing vinyl stapled in the inner space, so the staples/bunched up fabric wouldn't mess with how flush the raised part met the vinyl-ed part.
30787927-92C4-4457-91B1-00103F5BE390.jpeg
DAA63C30-0B1E-46A5-9312-D344AF68DB32.jpeg

Last edited:
These look great. I keep building a table in my head but haven't put pen to paper and certainly not saw to wood but getting closer. Nice job

Build might be delayed to Sat. Snow expected next two days. Was planning to do the main cuts outside tomorrow. But that’s now unlikely.

Whoa... the video that many of us have used to build our first poker table - and even referenced in Adam Savage's build video - is gone. It was something like "How to Build a DIY Pro Poker Table"...

EDIT: Channel/account name name was 'Poker Listings'

"account terminated" :eek:

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 9.42.12 PM.png

Last edited:
Rail width: of you plan on doing jumbo cup holders in the rail, it will help to go a bit extra wide. I didn't and the cups don't quite sit flush with the rail because the foam and vinyl are curving downward at either edge.

T-nuts and bolts: I advise mounting pedestals removable to the support layer and using bolts to attach playing surface to support.

Are you talking about this video?

That’s not the one I was thinking of. I was talking about the video I linked in the post you quoted.

It was a well known and widely used how-to. Real footage of a guy building a table (not animation), edited down to cover the nitty gritty, yet it clearly explained everything. It covered the basics in under 5 minutes. I’m surprised to see their account was terminated. :(

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom