800 chips, Apache 3800 or 4800? (1 Viewer)

Up to 1,000 in a 3800 case, but extremely tight! You have to cut boarder foam to make it work unless you can find the awesome Racks that @joeyshin has which are 4 rows of 25 chips with lids as opposed to our standard 5 rows of 20 chip racks. Also love that this system stores the chips In a vertical arrangement (many discussions in the past about chip warpage being caused by chips laying horizontally...any truth in it? Definitely possible)

A standard 800 layout in a 3800 would be 2 high with 3 racks left to right and one row top to bottom as shown here
View attachment 981498
No idea where all these supposed "800 chips are tight in a 3800 case" came from but that is an absolutely FALSE statement.

To fit 1,000 chips cut the left and right side foam down to 50% thickness and add another row of chips to the right. Then it is tight. As shown
View attachment 981499
This is only 900 chips so you can see the edge of the yellow $20s is not sitting perfectly flat. It is only resting on soft roam below. For odd # racks your can add a number of products like thin wood, lexan, fiberglass sheeting to lay on top of the soft foam and keep the rack positioned properly. Unfortunately for this set I have 2 - 20 chip tunes holding my spares and hundos under that final rack on the right, so I have not added a stable floor for that rack, it requires a lot of qdditonal cutting with the tube below and just haven't gotten around to it.

If you are planning on going 4800 for 800 chips I hope you are also planning to pack, over night clothes. 4 pistols, 2 tacobell party 12 packs and a case of beer... because your chips are going to look lost in that huge case!
Ben,

A question for you. With the chips open in racks (Chipco)), are the racks simply stacking on top of the other chips? Or are you putting a layer of foam between the rack bottoms and the chips below?

Thanks,

Mud

Ben,

A question for you. With the chips open in racks (Chipco)), are the racks simply stacking on top of the other chips? Or are you putting a layer of foam between the rack bottoms and the chips below?

Thanks,

Mud
There is no foam in between just like chips sitting on a shelf Orin bird cages, they rest on top of each other. That being said if you are going two rows high in a 4800 case, roughly 3/4"of foam must be added under the bottom row of chips sot that the top rack is above the lip of the case so the top chips press into the foam inside the top cover and hold the loose chips in barrels in place.

This foam is not required for 2 rows high in a 3800 nor 3 rows high in a 4800, only if two rows deep in a 4800.

Also, you can reinforce the foam if you use Plasti Dip. It helps a lot since I leave mine with 1 row of foam on the some of the edges.
Great information. What does the plasti dip do? Interested in starting this, thanks for your time. I hadnt heard about reinforcing the foam.

Great information. What does the plasti dip do? Interested in starting this, thanks for your time. I hadnt heard about reinforcing the foam.
The plasti-dip hardens the foam (not hard like concrete, but just a lot stiffer). This allows to to be more resilient to taking racks in-and-out. The soft pluck foam would degrade quickly without it, leaving unsightly pitting, flea bites, and tears.

YEEAAHHHHHHH!
16679538037991851921134928599552.jpg

The plasti-dip hardens the foam (not hard like concrete, but just a lot stiffer). This allows to to be more resilient to taking racks in-and-out. The soft pluck foam would degrade quickly without it, leaving unsightly pitting, flea bites, and tears.
It also adheres the pull-a-part squares to each other. Before I applied my plastidip, some of the squares that I intended to stay in started coming out. After only a few hours and putting the racks in and out just a couple of times.

It also adheres the pull-a-part squares to each other. Before I applied my plastidip, some of the squares that I intended to stay in started coming out. After only a few hours and putting the racks in and out just a couple of times.
Copy. What was your process? Ive got racks coming in the groupbuy then I'll measure and cut to the dimensions.

1. Place the racks on the foam pad however you want to arrange them in the case.
2. Outline the racks with a sharpie or something that you can make out where the outlines are.
3. Pluck the foam out where the racks would sit.
4. Plastidip the hell out of the foam.
5. While it's drying, curing, look back and be happy.

That's how I approached it

1. Place the racks on the foam pad however you want to arrange them in the case.
2. Outline the racks with a sharpie or something that you can make out where the outlines are.
3. Pluck the foam out where the racks would sit.
4. Plastidip the hell out of the foam.
5. While it's drying, curing, look back and be happy.

That's how I approached it
Appreciated! Do you remove the foam, lay them out in sheets to spray?

Sorry for all the followups, I need to break things down in my head if I dont want to keep buying foam to test on lol.

Please, don't apologize....it's what we're here for and why we post. No troubles at all.

So to answer your first question, yep.....sketch,map, out the racks. When you are happy and checked and double checked, pluck out the foam that will be discarded.

Go outside and spray spray spray! I layed them out on plywood boards and did coat after coat, letting it dry between coats maybe 30 mins to an hr in between each spray.

Any chance of getting a few more pics of how you have setup this case. I have those same case (4x25) and am trying to get my layout worked out for the Apache 3800, about 700 chips.

its just what the photo shows...they're just standing up...i put in 10 racks so if you only have 7 racks you have room for setups and buttons..

Looking to get an Apache case and from the threads I've seen here, I seem split on whether to get a 3800 or 4800 case for 800 chips (plus decks and button). Some have stated that 800 in a 3800 is fine while others have mentioned a tight fit. Just curious what others have went with, thanks.
This is what I have for 600 chips on a 3800. I don’t like the right squeeze. I like them like this.

Attachments

• 6A24A9B5-CEAC-4BA1-8899-80A4745284FE.jpeg
    6A24A9B5-CEAC-4BA1-8899-80A4745284FE.jpeg
    278.7 KB · Views: 183
Looking to get an Apache case and from the threads I've seen here, I seem split on whether to get a 3800 or 4800 case for 800 chips (plus decks and button). Some have stated that 800 in a 3800 is fine while others have mentioned a tight fit. Just curious what others have went with, thanks.
Real men can fit them in a 2800. ;/)

Also, you can reinforce the foam if you use Plasti Dip. It helps a lot since I leave mine with 1 row of foam on the some of the edges.
can someone explain what is plasti dip in this case used for? where do u spray? advantages over out of the box apache case? i just bought the 3800 and 4800 and am checking out the placements of how others are storing chips ( super cool setups) while i wait for justin cases.

can someone explain what is plasti dip in this case used for? where do u spray? advantages over out of the box apache case? i just bought the 3800 and 4800 and am checking out the placements of how others are storing chips ( super cool setups) while i wait for justin cases.
Plastic Dip is kind of a rubbery spray that coats the foam to harden it and protect it from breaking apart. If you don't use it, your foam will not hold up as well. I would not have an Apache case without using a couple cans of Plasti Dip on the foam. It makes a huge difference!

Plastic Dip is kind of a rubbery spray that coats the foam to harden it and protect it from breaking apart. If you don't use it, your foam will not hold up as well. I would not have an Apache case without using a couple cans of Plasti Dip on the foam. It makes a huge difference!
so i spray the foam (the break apart pieces) after i mold them right? or all the foam and little squares? when u say dip, u just spray not dip in a batter / bathtub?

so i spray the foam (the break apart pieces) after i mold them right? or all the foam and little squares? when u say dip, u just spray not dip in a batter / bathtub?
It is just called Plasti Dip. It is like a can of spray paint. Tear the foam squares out in whatever form you like. Then take out each layer of foam from the case and spray it multiple times until it starts to gets a bit of rubbery coating. I used 2 cans per case. Once each layer of foam is dry after you have sprayed it enough put them back in the case. I prefer to spray the edges down with some 3M spray and glue it into the case.

I’m not sure how big the Apache 3800 is, but for those in Canada, I bought a 16” impact resistant case from princess auto (https://www.princessauto.com/en/16-in-impact-resistant-storage-case/product/PA0008486029)

I emptied out 4 sections, then cut the bottom foam to match, glued the two layers together. I also had to remove foam on the lid, but I can fit 12 racks if I need to, for 1200 chips, 1100 is a better fit if I want to carry a button and a deck of cards.

IMG_1821.jpeg

IMG_1822.jpeg

It’s a tight fit when closing it, but there is still “give” on the lid when it’s latched down so I know the foam isn’t maxed out completely. I still might remove more material from the top foam..

IMG_1823.jpeg

IMG_1824.jpeg

Still waiting on more racks and chips… should be here shortly!

Last edited:
I’d go with the 4800. You’ll enjoy the extra room. Here’s my 800 cash set with a rack of misc chips, cards, and dealer buttons.
IMG_2250.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom