800 chips, Apache 3800 or 4800? (1 Viewer)

mburnznj

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
Looking to get an Apache case and from the threads I've seen here, I seem split on whether to get a 3800 or 4800 case for 800 chips (plus decks and button). Some have stated that 800 in a 3800 is fine while others have mentioned a tight fit. Just curious what others have went with, thanks.

Apache 3800 - 800 chips in Matsui racks worked great for me:

1662355226573.png

When using 43mm racks (Bud Jones) there is a little more space (as evidence by lots of DBs and a few setups:

1662355312435.png

Looking to get an Apache case and from the threads I've seen here, I seem split on whether to get a 3800 or 4800 case for 800 chips (plus decks and button). Some have stated that 800 in a 3800 is fine while others have mentioned a tight fit. Just curious what others have went with, thanks.
Both are correct. It's fine and it's a tight fit. I set my 3800 for 700 chips so there was a little more room for setups and DBs in the top section. But the 4800 seems like overkill for only 800 chips. I believe it can hold a LOT more than that.

@Ben8257 is the Apache case expert, so hopefully he will chime in here eventually.

I have 1500 chips in a 4800 (5 rows stacked 3 high). Multiple 3800s with 800 chips each, both in racks and matsui style boxes (4 rows 2 high). Chips stay secure while the case is full in these configurations. I carry cards separately in plastic setup boxes.

I have 1000 in a 3800 with no extra room. And 1000 in. 4800 but could fit a lot more

3C61EEF5-C6C2-4BBE-88CD-A91112598352.jpeg
15E2A024-7496-4717-81DF-746F72F092B4.jpeg
606C3915-9572-4523-BEEC-14028EBF8700.jpeg

Up to 1,000 in a 3800 case, but extremely tight! You have to cut boarder foam to make it work unless you can find the awesome Racks that @joeyshin has which are 4 rows of 25 chips with lids as opposed to our standard 5 rows of 20 chip racks. Also love that this system stores the chips In a vertical arrangement (many discussions in the past about chip warpage being caused by chips laying horizontally...any truth in it? Definitely possible)

A standard 800 layout in a 3800 would be 2 high with 3 racks left to right and one row top to bottom as shown here
20220309_184314.jpg

No idea where all these supposed "800 chips are tight in a 3800 case" came from but that is an absolutely FALSE statement.

To fit 1,000 chips cut the left and right side foam down to 50% thickness and add another row of chips to the right. Then it is tight. As shown
20220117_182402.jpg

This is only 900 chips so you can see the edge of the yellow $20s is not sitting perfectly flat. It is only resting on soft roam below. For odd # racks your can add a number of products like thin wood, lexan, fiberglass sheeting to lay on top of the soft foam and keep the rack positioned properly. Unfortunately for this set I have 2 - 20 chip tunes holding my spares and hundos under that final rack on the right, so I have not added a stable floor for that rack, it requires a lot of qdditonal cutting with the tube below and just haven't gotten around to it.

If you are planning on going 4800 for 800 chips I hope you are also planning to pack, over night clothes. 4 pistols, 2 tacobell party 12 packs and a case of beer... because your chips are going to look lost in that huge case!

If you are planning on going 4800 for 800 chips I hope you are also planning to pack, over night clothes. 4 pistols, 2 tacobell party 12 packs and a case of beer... because your chips are going to look lost in that huge case!
White Castle > Taco Bell

Thanks to everyone for responding. I plan to head over there today to check out the cases. I got an email from HF about a Memorial Day sale so I hope that discount applies to Apache. Apparently I'm in their system and with yesterday being my bday they sent me a $15 off coupon to use with no restrictions and can be applied to other discounts.

White Castle > Taco Bell

Thanks to everyone for responding. I plan to head over there today to check out the cases. I got an email from HF about a Memorial Day sale so I hope that discount applies to Apache. Apparently I'm in their system and with yesterday being my bday they sent me a $15 off coupon to use with no restrictions and can be applied to other discounts.
Wait a minute... yesterday was your B day as In 09/04/xx?

My b day is also 09/04/(unfortunately)82... big 40 is in my rear view now! Happy Belated Sir!
00f104da1c7d08e3e503e148620c3b21.jpeg.jpg

09/04 yes sir......wasn't it great knowing that with your birthday, the start of school was right around the corner? 40 has come and gone. I'm closer to 50 than you but at least I can still say I'm in my 40's (sigh).
the-offoce-pam-beasley.gif

Happy Belated!

White Castle > Taco Bell

Check the fine print on that coupon. It should say what's excluded. HF will be sticklers about it. You may need a magnifying glass to read it!!!

I just checked the latest one I received, and it says "NO EXCLUSIONS" in big letters. Good until 9/8/22. So if you have that one, you should be good.

@Ben8257 When I say 800 is tight, I'm referring to if you lay it out in 4 rows right next to each other like my pic below. It's not tight for the 800 chips, it just leaves no room for cards and DBs. This was done using only the pre-cut pull out sections, so yeah, more room can be made by cutting the pull-outs and having less cushion on the sides.

Edit: I should add that these are about the thickest chips that I am aware of. 8V china clays that are 71mm per barrel in custom racks, so overall close to an inch wider than Paulsons in 66.7mm racks.

20200714_145055.jpg

Also, you can reinforce the foam if you use Plasti Dip. It helps a lot since I leave mine with 1 row of foam on the some of the edges.
Adding Plasti Dip is a must for all my Apache cases!!!
This! Mine starting falling apart before I even loaded in the racks. Hit it good with Plasti-dip and it's been solid for almost two years.

I love the orange 3800. Wish I could always find it, but it's always out of stock around me.
Seems you're in Jersey as well. I'll keep my eye open up here in North Jersey if my local store stocks more.
Took me 3 bottles of that stuff to get to a good level of saturation & coverage. But, yes, it makes a huge difference.
Running to Home Depot after dinner for some cans. Sound advice,

Seems you're in Jersey as well. I'll keep my eye open up here in North Jersey if my local store stocks more.

Running to Home Depot after dinner for some cans. Sound advice,
Oh nice! I didn't realize you were also in NJ. Lots of great rep here on PCF from the Garden State.

I also found my Plasti Dip at HD, so you should be good to go! Just make sure to do the spraying outside...

Thx to everyone's input on things. Case is done and looks tight. After many coats of plastidip were good to go. View attachment 988863
Looks great! I cant wait to get a set of chips and set up an Apache case like this. Already have an Apache case and plastic dip waiting just need to decide what chips to get!

Looks great! I cant wait to get a set of chips and set up an Apache case like this. Already have an Apache case and plastic dip waiting just need to decide what chips to get!
It'll happen, take your time, get samples if you can and get what you want but don't snap call....there's lots of chips out there.

This forum is a great starting point LOTS of crazy helpful ppl to help you on your search. Good luck.

It'll happen, take your time, get samples if you can and get what you want but don't snap call....there's lots of chips out there.

This forum is a great starting point LOTS of crazy helpful ppl to help you on your search. Good luck.
Nice case with nice chips. And even more so, nice gorilla biscuits picture!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom