60" Octagon with reversible playing surface (1 Viewer)

T_Chan

Full House
Site Vendor
Reaction score
Just delivered a 60" octagon table today to a very happy customer. There were a few special requests for this one. First he wanted dowels to be inserted in the corners. This is from a build he found online by an ex-builder, Chris Owens who made some great tables but retired after having a new baby.

He also wanted a reversible playing surface so this table has a blue SSC pattern on gaming suede on one side and a Vancouver V image on the other. 4 large holes are cut in the base sheet so to flip it, you remove the rail then put your hand under the table to push the playing surface up so that it can be easily flipped over. It has multicolored LED lights in the raised rail which run off a battery which is built into the column of the base.

2015-08-20%2016.27.57_1024x576.jpg

2015-08-20%2016.27.44_1024x576.jpg

2015-08-25%2018.35.45_1024x576.jpg

2015-08-25%2018.35.31_1024x576.jpg

2015-08-25%2018.36.26_1024x576.jpg

2015-08-25%2018.36.08_1024x576.jpg

Very nice. But my pet hate is having cup holders right in front of my :)

Very nice. But my pet hate is having cup holders right in front of my :)

It's funny...my pet peeve is NOT having cup holders right in front of me. Unless you have an arm coming out of your chest I guess (but then the cupholder is the least of your worries).

It's funny...my pet peeve is NOT having cup holders right in front of me. Unless you have an arm coming out of your chest I guess (but then the cupholder is the least of your worries).

That's why I prefer none at all :)

Reactions: BNM
Very nice. I like the diversity of the two playing surfaces. Did you build that base? I really like that a lot!

What was the motivation behind the reversible top? Is one of the regulars a Flames fan?

Also, how did you finish the edge of the removable top? Is it sandwiched somehow, or are there just a bunch of staples hidden under the rail?

Thanks guys.

Yes I built the base. It's a plywood skeleton wrapped in wiggle board with some large plywood round bases. The top middle of the base is hollowed out with shelf built in to hold the battery and wiring.

He didn't really give me an explanation as to why he wanted the reversible playing surface, he just wanted it. At first I offered him a 2nd playing surface which he could swap in and out which I have done before but he was adamant that he wanted it to flip. He did mention that he didn't want to have to store the 2nd insert somewhere.

The playing surface is 1 sheet of 1/2" plywood with foam on both sides. The edges are then covered in 1/8" hardboard then the cloths are wrapped around and stapled to the edge. The staples aren't visible as they're butted up against the light diffuser. He just has to remove the rail whenever he wants to flip the playing surface.

wow, that is very much like the table I want 60 inch octagon, lighted, raised rail

Really nice!
I've always liked octagon or round tables for home games because of self dealing. I assume you can also do a 60" round, suitable for 9 players max?

Really nice!
I've always liked octagon or round tables for home games because of self dealing. I assume you can also do a 60" round, suitable for 9 players max?

Correct sir.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom