500 chip travel set breakdown for Horse Racing game (1 Viewer)

Hairy_Crocodile

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I was wondering what everyone would recommend for a travel set breakdown for the horse racing board game

I am getting a mini portable board, and am getting mini poker chips so it’s easy to travel with. I would bring it to family events, camping trips, etc so I would like a more portable setup than this huge board and heavy case of 700+ clays every time I wanna play.

I’m thinking something like this for a quarter stakes setup, but with no denominations for flexibility. I know that technically talking about how many “quarters” is silly when I’m not using denominations, but it makes sense to me to use this as the benchmark to gauge how many of each color I want I guess.

250x $0.25
150x $1
100x $20 ?

I would imagine a barrel of the workhorse chip or two for each player would make sense, and the rest be bank chips. Im not sure what denomination of bank chips would be but he most efficient.

I haven’t played enough to know what would work best, we generally play at our home game with our stacks but I have never paid enough attention to know what chip breakdown I would need for casual play/a smaller set. We always have tons of quarters, ones, and fives on the table at our 25c/50c game and we pay more attention to your horse winning than how much people are winning and losing overall. We are always deep stacked as well, so it never makes a dent in stacks enough for me to give rough estimates.

I would imagine 6-7 players is probably the most you want to play with.

How many “big bets” is necessary for each player to buy in for to adequately play? 50? 20? I don’t know how much each player on average puts into a pot and how many races that stack will last for. I’m hoping for those with more knowledge to weigh in on this. I am hoping to finally have a home game fire in two weeks for me to collect data at, but until then, I would love to ask for your experiences and recommendations. I’m sure I’m missing something I wanted to ask or add, but I can always ad to this later.

I hope you all are having a wonderful day. Cheers!

I’ve got 400 quarters and 200 dollar chips. I think 300/200 would be enough to play any amount of .25 games maybe a barrel of $5 would be good.

This has been asked a few times in the primary post.

I feel like you could say (based on a .25 game) people are going to buy in for 20 bucks, the pot is always going to be X, so you get past the scratches, then color up. you can make change along the way. 3 $5s and 20 .25s per player should work, with a barrel of $20s. I bet you could get by with 1 rack of quarters 3 barrels of 1s, a barrel of 5s and a barrel of 20s.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom