Player Breakdown for New Home Game? (1 Viewer)

NotRealNameNoSir

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
Hello! Lots of discussion about the breakdown for chips for home games, I've got that, appreciated. But I'm struggling with the player breakdown for a new game.

My current thoughts: I want to be efficient with my players, I'm saving money. Found some players at Walmart which may do the trick but I dont think I'll be happy with them in the long run. Just excited to use them and get started.

Current breakdown:
6x Complete Fish
3x Men who watched the WSOP on ESPN and have favorite hands
5x WishyWashy can't-be-relied-on Apes that may cancel 5 mins before
2x Online players who will be upset if the fish "string bets" for 75cents total
1x Wife
4x Mooks that say they love poker but then show up and don't know the hand rankings

Total Bank: 21 players

I feel good for this as a starting set but if my game's going to grow I'm worried this breakdown is going to end up letting me down like Rocky 5. Any ways to future-proof this a bit more?

2x guys who will still be debating that big hand from two orbits ago for another hour

5x players who never know it’s their turn to act b/c they have their heads in their phones checking their 17-leg parlays on FanDuel

Grab a couple alternates form your local Ace Hardware :tup:
Excellent; I saw them but I think I'd need to improve my bathroom ventilation, read some reviews and other people have had problems with them overusing it. Plus they frown on check-raising, which I kind of like and want to keep the option open.
2x guys who will still be debating that big hand from two orbits ago for another hour

5x players who never know it’s their turn to act b/c they have their heads in their phones checking their 17-leg parlays on FanDuel
I knew it! Degenerate gamblers, wow, that would fit perfect. Groupbuy??

You need at least 2 whales. Just in case some of the fish run out of bank. It’ll future proof your set a little more.

Don’t forget to get samples though. You don’t wanna commit too soon.
I like it, can't just send out mass texts and hope for the best. Ive been searching Classifieds but its tough to get whales on the table while using nickels, gonna keep searching.

200.gif

Honestly, this doesn’t seem bad for a startup game. Ours was about the same ratio. We’ve got 3 sharks, 2-3 noobs, and 10-12 in-betweeners in our first season. The noobs were much better by the end of the season. Good starting setup IMO. Try to encourage folks to invite friends that enjoy playing.

You need some OMCs to balance everything out.

I’ve actually considered this issue at length and have come to the conclusion that good poker game needs 30% degens, 30% fish/whales, and 30% skilled players. The remaining 10% is wild card players. The host should be capable of filling any role depending on what is missing.

This balance ensures a healthy and lively game that is profitable for the skilled players, action enough for the gamblers, and just soft enough that the fish have a shot.

The degens keep the skilled players on guard because they can stuff it at anytime and realize equity.

The fish keep the degens in line because they will call light and the degens don’t adjust.

The skilled players will mostly feast on the fish and the presence of the fish will increase thier vpip as they try to get into pots with them.

Without degens, the fish would be fried.

Without fish, the degens will resent the excessive folding of the skilled players and stop giving action, drying up the game.

Without skilled players, the degens and fish will devolve into basically all in flips. While exciting, this game will dry up really quick. The skilled players keep the game steady.

You need some OMCs to balance everything out.

I’ve actually considered this issue at length and have come to the conclusion that good poker game needs 30% degens, 30% fish/whales, and 30% skilled players. The remaining 10% is wild card players. The host should be capable of filling any role depending on what is missing.

This balance ensures a healthy and lively game that is profitable for the skilled players, action enough for the gamblers, and just soft enough that the fish have a shot.

The degens keep the skilled players on guard because they can stuff it at anytime and realize equity.

The fish keep the degens in line because they will call light and the degens don’t adjust.

The skilled players will mostly feast on the fish and the presence of the fish will increase thier vpip as they try to get into pots with them.

Without degens, the fish would be fried.

Without fish, the degens will resent the excessive folding of the skilled players and stop giving action, drying up the game.

Without skilled players, the degens and fish will devolve into basically all in flips. While exciting, this game will dry up really quick. The skilled players keep the game steady.
God, I would love to see this as a balanced equation lol. I agree on the host comment though. I swing and match the table; not sure if its a strategic adjustment or social adjustment, but I play tight and act like everyone's crazy when they're loose, talking it up and shaking my head, and play loose when everyone's tight, betting out randomly and always showing my weird hands. Think it works both ways, makes it more fun and doesn't hurt the wallet. People at my casual microstakes just want the stories and the fun.

Don't forget an asshole or 2 so they can argue over your rules.
Host has that covered. I will take the contrary to whatever your stance is. Keep talking, buster, a straight'll beat a flush before we're done here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom