Tourney 20 Players - 600 Chips (1 Viewer)

blackshirts5115

Waiting List
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm looking to buy my first sets of poker chips. For my tourney set, I'd like to be capable of hosting a 20-person tournament but the majority of the time it'd be more like 10-15 players. I'm not sure I'd ever host 20, but just want it to be possible without having to buy new chips. Since I'm buying both cash and tourney sets I want to buy as few for each set as possible to accommodate my needs... going to go with CCs from Apache (Dunes & Pharaohs), so I'm going to be spending a lot more than I ever imagined on chips. I know many might laugh at the idea of $0.45 chips being expensive, but a month ago I had dice chips in mind.

Browsing the threads on this website I see people recommending about 800 chips for 20 person tournaments. But when I do the math it seems 600 can be enough, as long as I limit the group to 10 rebuys. Can you please review my logic here and let me know if there's something I'm missing? I'm going with a T25 tournament set with T10k starting stacks.

Total to Purchase: 600
T25 - 175
T100 - 175
T500 - 75
T1000 - 150
T5000 - 25

Starting Chips:
17 players - 8/8/4/7
2 players - 12/12/3/7
1 player - 12/12/1/8

Rebuys:
9 players - 2 T5000s
1 player - 1 T5000 + 1 T1000

That leaves three chips leftover for each of the T25 and T100. These will obviously not get used.

Then there are four T1000s left and six T5000s left. This has a total value of T34,000 and can be used for coloring up the T50 + T100, which total only T21,500 in value.

What potential issues do you see? Some things I could guess:
  • Are 10 rebuys not enough? Seems to me if I limit rebuys to the first hour or two that half the field should still be alive. And if not, I can just say too bad, rebuys are first come first serve up to 10.
  • Is the ratio of large denomination to small denomination too high? Maybe my setup will require an annoying amount of change-making at the table because there aren't a sufficient number of small chips?
  • Is there something wrong with providing different distributions of starting chips to a few players? Seems like it shouldn't matter as chips will quickly get shifted around.
Thanks in advance. Looking forward to your input.

Lots of threads/posts in this. Try this post from yours truly, here: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/new-to-poker-chips-what-to-buy.62691/#post-1236503
Oh wow, exact same scenario. I've been scouring this board a lot the last few weeks and hadn't seen that. Thanks.

Looks like one problem for me is Apache only lets you buy in groups of 25 chips, so my big chips are lacking compared to yours. You think it's problematic not to have any T25,000s?

And there's nothing wrong with all of your T100s and T500s being distributed immediately, meaning none are left for coloring up the T25s at the first break?

Well, buying in quantities of 25 changes things.

But ignoring that…You don’t really need T25k chips. And it is totally inefficient coloring up with extra T100s and T500s. Just color up with T1000s. Have the chip leader at each table color up all the other players, then color him up with T1000s.

10 rebuys should be enough but it’s not guaranteed. I don’t think saying first come first serve is a good idea either. You could cover it with one stack of 25ks and that would allow you to play with add ons too if you want. Or just ask on here if anyone will send you like 4 25ks just to have. Someone might do it, Apache might do it too if you ask.

Different combinations in the starting stack is fine just tell everyone they should have 10k and to check it.

As for number of small chips in play, I prefer 12/12 over 8/8, but 8/8 is perfectly fine when playing more than one table. Might be a little bit of change making but it’s not that bad.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom