New to poker chips, what to buy? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
As the title would suggest I am new into buying poker chips. Have played some poker with friends with what I think is called "dice" poker chips. But I am now looking for a more "fancy" set(compared to a dice set)

any reccomendations? Looking for mostly a tournament set with around 200-500 chips.

thanks in advance

How much money you got?

I’ve been on here a couple weeks and am going down the rabbit hole. I was in the same boat as you.

I am now just trying to get my hands on actual different chips. To see what I like. I did buy over 1200 nexgen chips for my craps table before I found this site. But was on a tight budget. Have a bunch of samples of cheap chips. And nothing really compares to the chips you will see on here.

Welcome!

If you’re going for a set to cover one table this 400 chip breakdown should be good:

25 - 120
100 - 120
500 - 60
1000 - 80-100
5000 - 20

Starting stacks 12/12/5/6/0-2
Just add some more 5ks if you want to do 20k starting stacks and/or rebuys.

As to what kind of chips, it completely depends on your budget. You can get a set of decent slugged plastics for $.15/chip, China clays for $.4-.5/chip, ceramics for around $.7 and clays starting at like $1/chip and sky’s the limit.

Welcome!

If you’re going for a set to cover one table this 400 chip breakdown should be good:

25 - 120
100 - 120
500 - 60
1000 - 80-100
5000 - 20

As to what kind of chips, it completely depends on your budget. You can get a set of decent slugged plastics for $.15/chip, China clays for $.4-.5/chip, ceramics for around $.7 and clays starting at like $1/chip and sky’s the limit.
Said much better than I!

Welcome!

25 - 120
100 - 120
500 - 60
1000 - 80-100
5000 - 20

I have seen chips that are branded Monte carlo for that price. I would probably want something a little more pretty, so a china clay is mostly what I am after. I also found a guy on youtube talkíng about starting stacks etc and from my understanding he reccomended 8-8-6-6-2 for a 20k tournament. My friend size is about6-7 people hence why the mark would be around 200-400 chips depending on if we want rebuys or not.

either way! thanks for your reply! I just don't know what chip to get as I have never had any and would have to order from the US as I live in sweden so the chipping will screw me over if I try to get a lot of small sets

I have seen chips that are branded Monte carlo for that price. I would probably want something a little more pretty, so a china clay is mostly what I am after. I also found a guy on youtube talkíng about starting stacks etc and from my understanding he reccomended 8-8-6-6-2 for a 20k tournament. My friend size is about6-7 people hence why the mark would be around 200-400 chips depending on if we want rebuys or not.

either way! thanks for your reply! I just don't know what chip to get as I have never had any and would have to order from the US as I live in sweden so the chipping will screw me over if I try to get a lot of small sets
In that case I would do 8/8/4/7/2 (you don’t really need that many 500s). But I prefer starting with 12/12 of the 25s and 100s to avoid too much hassle with getting change from each other.

There are enough Swedish members that you might be able to have someone local send you, say, an assortment of various options On loan so you can handle them and decide, then send them back to the owner.

With your budget I would get samples of Royals from Apache and ceramics from brpropoker.com

If you like either, buy a set and delete your pcf account because if you stay, that will not be your budget for your next buy :)

There are enough Swedish members that you might be able to have someone local send you, say, an assortment of various options On loan so you can handle them and decide, then send them back to the owner.
Didn’t notice that! I’m on my phone. Välkommen käre landsman!

If you’re going to buy a tourney set, I’d recommend a 600 chip set, so that it can handle both T20K single table tourneys and T10K 20-person tourneys. Might as well spend a little more on the front-end and future-proof the set.

The breakdown that I, and many others, consider to be an ideal breakdown for a very flexible 600 chip tournament set? It is ideally suited to a 20-player T10,000 tourney (one of the most popular starting stack sizes), with starting stacks of 8/8/4/7. There are plenty of T5000s and T25Ks for rebuys and color-ups:

160 x T25
160 x T100
80 x T500
140 x T1000
50 x T5000
10 x T25,000

(Or 60 x T5000 and no T25K)

If you’re going to buy a tourney set, I’d recommend a 600 chip set, so that it can handle both T20K single table tourneys and T10K 20-person tourneys. Might as well spend a little more on the front-end and future-proof the set.

The breakdown that I, and many others, consider to be an ideal breakdown for a very flexible 600 chip tournament set? It is ideally suited to a 20-player T10,000 tourney (one of the most popular starting stack sizes), with starting stacks of 8/8/4/7. There are plenty of T5000s and T25Ks for rebuys and color-ups:

160 x T25
160 x T100
80 x T500
140 x T1000
50 x T5000
10 x T25,000

(Or 60 x T5000 and no T25K)
Can’t go wrong with moar chips! This is a great breakdown

With your budget I would get samples of Royals from Apache and ceramics from brpropoker.com

If you like either, buy a set and delete your pcf account because if you stay, that will not be your budget for your next buy :)

have heard that the roylas are bigger than most other chips, and yeah I would love to get sample sets but from apache as someone that is in sweden the shipping would be 3 times the actual price of the samle set

Have heard some good stuff about the majestic poker chips. and I do quite like the colors and looks of the chip. Would that be a good set to get?

Cool! Hur kommer det sig?
We lived in Stockholm for a year and a half when I was 8. Wenner-Gren Center. My dad taught at University of Stockholm. Loooooong time ago, but whenever I visit, my subconscious unlocks the part of my brain where the Swedish is kept.

One of my favorite places on earth.

You can do a 10-person tournament set very frugally with about 300 chips, though you will need to put up with more change-making.

You can play a little bit easier with a 350-400 chips set. But it really depends what your overall budget is, and how much you want to stretch your dollar-per-chip ratio. A 15% difference might not be much, but a 30% difference just might get you to a better quality chip.

You can do a 10-person tournament set very frugally with about 300 chips, though you will need to put up with more change-making.

You can play a little bit easier with a 350-400 chips set. But it really depends what your overall budget is, and how much you want to stretch your dollar-per-chip ratio. A 15% difference might not be much, but a 30% difference just might get you to a better quality chip.

thank you! yeah I decided to go for a 300 set of majestics as I am not a fan of having cheramic chips. I love how the majestics look! we are only 6-8 friends that want to play so the amount should be enough, if more friends want to join in they can always contribute in getting a bigger stack of chips!

Have heard some good stuff about the majestic poker chips. and I do quite like the colors and looks of the chip. Would that be a good set to get?

Majestics are a great chip for a first set. I also recommend Milanos, they get a lot of love at my home games!

Majestics are a great chip for a first set. I also recommend Milanos, they get a lot of love at my home games!

I looked at milanos as well! however, I just didnt like their design the same way I liked the majestic ones. the clean look of majestics got me hooked! thanks for the reply though!

New to poker chips, what to buy?
Samples. Base those on how much you're willing to spend.

<20c per chip: slugged injection-molded plastics
20c-25c per chip: unslugged injection-molded plastics
30c-40c per chip: china clays, cheap ceramics
50c-60c per chip: quality ceramics

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom