$1000 for an entire set up - how would you budget? (5 Viewers)

elemeno

Pair
Reaction score
You have a hard limit of $1000 and an empty 15’ x 15’ room for poker (9 players max). Excluding food and drink, what do you buy to fill it?

Here’s my first draft:

1. $200 Barrington table
  2. $400 on chairs
  3. $400 on chips
Edit: second draft:

1. $200 Barrington
  2. $100 topper
  3. $300 chairs
  4. $350 chips
  5. $50 cards (several decks)
Edit: third draft

1. $200 Barrington
  2. $500 chairs
  3. $250 chips (cards mold)
  4. $50 cards

Last edited:
They’re about an inch or so too short for my comfort at the Barrington table height.
I would agree, I built my table, and it is a little tall for the chairs. But when I play I like being lower to the table anyways, so I haven’t found it to be an issue. I’m with put it on a card, and get some good chips and cards!

I think I got 8 chairs for... $56? If you're willing to wait a little and scout used chairs I'm guessing you can pick up 9 good chairs for under $100. I'd add $100 to the table budget for a topper or other form of modification, whether it be adding speedcloth or bigger cupholders.

That leaves $600 for chips, which should easily get you a nice ceramic set that covers a 9-handed cash game.

Barrington Table: $149, wait for a sale

Custom/Semi custom topper from @rjdev7 : approximately $130. This improves the Barrington table playing experience significantly

Chairs (10): $300, deals for Gassers or banquet like chairs with flexible backs come up frequently depending on where you live for about $30/chair or less

Two Set Ups Plastic Cards: $40. @desjgn has anything that you would want in poker or bridge size

Design fees for custom chips: Approximately $80. Custom chips can be had but unless you have experience in the field, you have to pay for design work.

That's $700. If you play only cash or tournaments you can get a single table cash or tournament set for $300 quite easily with @justincarothers group buys that happen monthly. $300 gets you a fully custom (and secure) 600 chip set shipped to your door that can cover most single table games easily as long as your stakes are the same.

You're welcome! :)

They’re about an inch or so too short for my comfort at the Barrington table height.
I would agree, I built my table, and it is a little tall for the chairs. But when I play I like being lower to the table anyways, so I haven’t found it to be an issue. Whatever set up you put together, if you’re the first to start hosting people will be impressed.

Will you upgrade later in steps?

If so, I would spend the lion's share on the best table you can afford first.
Unlikely. My group plays 100% for the social aspect. I’m already spending 50 to 100x the buyin for the equipment, I can’t rationalize any more.

IMG_0734.png

In ware house they’re usually between $18-$22 if you have a Costco local

I believe you confused this forum for the PCF (poker chair forum). Spend it all on chips, you fool!
Hahaha, this made me laugh. There’s a joke about a chip and a chair in there somewhere.

In all seriousness, I really admire so many of the chips on this website, but it’s incredible to me that people are willing to pay so much for them.

Hahaha, this made me laugh. There’s a joke about a chip and a chair in there somewhere.

In all seriousness, I really admire so many of the chips on this website, but it’s incredible to me that people are willing to pay so much for them.
There are so many people coming here with that exact mindset looking for a $200-300 max set that very quickly end up being chip junkies spending 10-20 times that (consider this a friendly warning ;))

There are so many people coming here with that exact mindset looking for a $200-300 max set that very quickly end up being chip junkies spending 10-20 times that (consider this a friendly warning ;))

Some fools like myself have more money than sense. Others, I expect, have more debt than sense.

If I message an admin can I be banned from the marketplace section of the website? That may help my savings.

Is there a way to be creative with your budget cap? For example, you need a dining table outside of poker home games anyways, so it doesn't have to count towards your $1000 budget. Just use a $100 topper. Furthermore, do you plan on hosting dinner parties? Chairs are multi-purpose ;)

That way you can allocate almost $1000 towards poker chips :)

Unlikely. My group plays 100% for the social aspect. I’m already spending 50 to 100x the buyin for the equipment, I can’t rationalize any more.
If this is the case, I'd go with Tina chips every time. I can tell you in my group, they mention the table way more than the chips.

If this is the case, I'd go with Tina chips every time. I can tell you in my group, they mention the table way more than the chips.
I was going to say the same thing. If I’m hosting just for non-chipper friends, I’ve found no one cares about chips. If they have a denom on them, they are considered classy. Now a comfortable chair and a nice table they rave about.

I would go comfort:

More money on table
Chairs
Cards
Chios

In that order. You can always upgrade chips down the line. If I had dedicated space, I’d have a nice table. If I have to take down after each game, a Barrington is fine.

That's your budget now. What's your continuing budget? Plan this out long term. Will you have $1000 to spend each year? Is it $1000 now and $500 next year? Buy one really nice item and then plan to upgrade as you go.

I'd start with a really nice table. Players will notice that first and really appreciate it. If it's single table get the minimum set of cheap chips you can find and a setup of nice cards. Get some cheap chairs. Hold on to any extra if you have some.

Now start planning your dream chip set. Plan the type (ceramic or clay), the design, the colors etc. Next budget point get the super comfy chairs. Now the players will be like "Great chairs! Wow!" Again, hold on to any extra.

By now you should have your chips figured out. Round three you're putting all you can into getting your dream set or as close as possible.

So in 3 years you've built your ideal man cave.

Last edited:
You have a hard limit of $1000
1. Poker Table - $200
2. Chairs - $20 x 10
3. Side Table - $25 x 2
4. Cards - $30 x 2

That’s cover the basic equipment setup beside chips.

For chips, your best option is a nice customised ceramic or a small used Paulson set with the remaining $500 budget

If we are talking about poker chips collection budget long term wise, then you will need to add another zero minimum to the budget

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom