Yamaha surround sound help?? (1 Viewer)

shawn15p

Two Pair
Reaction score
Does anyone here have Yamaha speakers or know how to fix problems with these types of speakers. I have surround sound in my basement and my receiver is saying "decoder off". I have had issues in the past where it wouldn't work and usually making sure all the wires are connected and pushing them in a little bit does the trick. I had tried that numerous times and still nothing. On HDMI 2, which is my cable no picture at all comes on. When I take the hdmi out of the receiver and put in into the cable box, everything works, so its not the hdmi. Any ideas ?????

I had a buddy come over last week to take a look and when i plugged in back into the receiver of course everything worked as it should. Now today I go back into the basement and turn on the TV and its doing the same thing again !!!!

Do you have wireless back speakers? I have to re-pair my receiver to them every time there's a power outage.

(oops... this probably doesn't help after actually reading)

Need more info. What are your sources and inputs? Can you describe or draw out a diagram of your connections?

And you get that message no matter which input you choose? Did your speakers and receivers come together?

Yeah it was a box set. Yes the "decoder off" just does not go away no matter what. But when I plug HDMI from TV straight to the the cable box it works fine, so it has to be something wrong with the receiver

Sounds like a faulty connector. Have you tried hooking everything up straight to your TV then running a digital audio cable out from your TV to the receiver?

What is the model number? My Onkyo had a similar issue last year (wouldn't detect speakers, hdmi became flakey, etc), and the hdmi port on the motherboard had given up. Apparently, this is somewhat common across makes, especially if they don't receive adequate ventilation, as heat build-up is the enemy. I was able to get mine fixed by the vendor as a one time out-of-warranty fix. Might be worth searching www.avforums.com.

Hmmm...the fact that there's nothing at all coming in for the cable (video or audio) on HDMI2 is troubling. From what I can find, "decoder off" appears if it's not receiving audio over the HDMI feed. Now, that might be because there's an incorrect setting with the source device (e.g. set to send audio to optical or another port instead of HDMI), but I would still expect it to show the video.

I've been browsing the manual (link), specifically the troubleshooting steps.

A few thoughts:
1) Is the HDMI indicator on the front panel flashing? If it is, there's a communication issue with the HDMI port, and it provides steps to verify the signal info on page 39.

2) Have you tried setting the surround sound decoding to "straight" on the remote? It's described on page 27 of the manual, and is one of the troubleshooting steps if surround sound doesn't work.

Hmmm...the fact that there's nothing at all coming in for the cable (video or audio) on HDMI2 is troubling. From what I can find, "decoder off" appears if it's not receiving audio over the HDMI feed. Now, that might be because there's an incorrect setting with the source device (e.g. set to send audio to optical or another port instead of HDMI), but I would still expect it to show the video.

I've been browsing the manual (link), specifically the troubleshooting steps.

A few thoughts:
1) Is the HDMI indicator on the front panel flashing? If it is, there's a communication issue with the HDMI port, and it provides steps to verify the signal info on page 39.

2) Have you tried setting the surround sound decoding to "straight" on the remote? It's described on page 27 of the manual, and is one of the troubleshooting steps if surround sound doesn't work.

FYI

HDMI was not flashing

And I tried the "straight" setting. Still did not work

Found a Sony receiver for 150 bucks off at best buy and went with that.

Actually the sound and picture are much crisper now and I am happy with it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom