WTF do I do now? What emergency last minutes chips to use for tournament next week? (1 Viewer)

MeridianFC

Flush
Reaction score
So I got what I thought was a huge Tina/CM chip set last year. Big enough to certainly handle anything I would ever do. I went large because I knew I'd be running the poker part of a charity event, one that I did last year. Last year it was 3 tables (less some no shows). My set can easily do 3+ tables. Should be grand right? Spoke to the main organizer last month, said this is what I got, can easily handle the same amount as last year, could maybe even stretch to 34-35. No problem says he. Event is next Friday (6/2) so we were chatting today about it today and he casually asks how big my set it/what it can handle and I repeat the info from before but am now told the event will be 50 players.

Da fuq?

Ok, breathe. Running Base 25K tourney (base T25). What Green/25 and Black/100 chips should I try to nab quickly that would fit? I figure I need a little over 100 of each.

Current set up here:

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/the-pines-tournament-cm-tina.96396/

The Pines CM Tourney.jpeg

So I got what I thought was a huge Tina/CM chip set last year. Big enough to certainly handle anything I would ever do. I went large because I knew I'd be running the poker part of a charity event, one that I did last year. Last year it was 3 tables (less some no shows). My set can easily do 3+ tables. Should be grand right? Spoke to the main organizer last month, said this is what I got, can easily handle the same amount as last year, could maybe even stretch to 34-35. No problem says he. Event is next Friday (6/2) so we were chatting today about it today and he casually asks how big my set it/what it can handle and I repeat the info from before but am now told the event will be 50 players.

Da fuq?

Ok, breathe. Running Base 25K tourney (base T25). What Green/25 and Black/100 chips should I try to nab quickly that would fit? I figure I need a little over 100 of each.

Current set up here:

View attachment 1138816
Breakdown is 300/300/300/300/250/50 ? I can run some math, but I'm pretty sure you can handle 50 players.

Possibly less than T25k starting stacks.

Not all stacks will have the same breakdown, i.e., same number of T25 and T100, etc.

Breakdown is 300/300/300/300/250/50 ? I can run some math, but I'm pretty sure you can handle 50 players.

Possibly less than T25k starting stacks.

Not all stacks will have the same breakdown, i.e., same number of T25 and T100, etc.
Something tells me that might work out better if he just abandoned the 25s.

Something like the cheap slugged Monaco clubs from Discount Poker Shop, or maybe the Turbo ceramics from The Poker Store?

Or maybe a fellow PCF’er has some cards molds they could loan you that wouldn’t clash too bad.

Would it not solve your issue to restructure to a t5 tournament with 5k starting stack, and pick up a bunch of 5s from somewhere? Just a quick thought, haven't run through the logistics. That way you only have 1 mismatched chip, but all chips of the same denom are uniform.

Edit: Could even use white dice chips from craigslist or something. wont take long to chip-up and get them out of play.

Last edited:
37 players get T25s, and 13 players do not. Distribute those 13 players throughout the tables.

The lack of T1000 is a killer, though. But there are plenty of T500 so it should be ok.

There will be some making change for a few rounds, but this is doable:

1684785924319.png

1684785959658.png

8-8-6-6-3 x25 = 200,200,150,150,75
4-4-5-2-4 x25 = 100,100,125, 50, 100
_______________ = 300,300,275,200,175 total used at start

half get more chips but all stacks still 25k.
Seems to work in my head unless my math is bad

(EDIT: All my math was wrong on this, rewritten below)
So we have 300/300/300/300 of 25/100/500/1000. So I assume the "original design" was 8/8/8/5/2 to get to T20K. And you can do 37 such stacks, plus a spare parts 38th stack of 4/4/3/8/2.

If you add 100 * T25 and 100 * T100 to this setup you then can do 50 stacks of 8/8/6/6/2 perfectly. So I think that's the easiest answer.

If you don't want to order anything make up the 38 stacks above in the usual manner and you can have 10 stacks for players 39-48 that are just 10 * T1000. If you distribute those players evenly over all tables, you may still be okay as far a change making goes.

Something tells me that might work out better if he just abandoned the 25s.

I am not so sure on this. If he goes base T100, he still needs at least 10 chips per player, with 3 racks, that only accommodates 30 players, not 50. the one alternative could be to order two racks of T100 instead of one rack each of T100 and T25.

FWIW I mistyped, tourney is T20K.
EDIT: changes made to T20K

Last edited:
Is the solution as simple as just not having round-number starting stacks? I know it sounds bush, but instead of having 25K starting stacks, could the starting stacks just be 24,750? Give everybody 6/6/6/6/3? I don't love it because there will be change making all day, which sucks without real dealers. But it should work, right?

Is the solution as simple as just not having round-number starting stacks? I know it sounds bush, but instead of having 25K starting stacks, could the starting stacks just be 24,750? Give everybody 6/6/6/6/3? I don't love it because there will be change making all day, which sucks without real dealers. But it should work, right?
I see the approach is just divide whatever you have by 50 stacks. There are only 200 chips of T500 and T1000 in the set so you actually would be looking at 6/6/4/4/3 or actually 21,750. It's doable. It's more or less the same effect as doing 37 "normal" stacks and adding some all T1000 stacks to each table at the end provided you distribute the total stacks evenly across tables. The concern is if there are this few low chips on the table, do we get to places where change making becomes impossible? (Hence why order the extra T25 and T100 chips.)

It's a tough call.

Would it not solve your issue to restructure to a t5 tournament with 5k starting stack, and pick up a bunch of 5s from somewhere? Just a quick thought, haven't run through the logistics. That way you only have 1 mismatched chip, but all chips of the same denom are uniform.

Edit: Could even use white dice chips from craigslist or something. wont take long to chip-up and get them out of play.

I don't think this works either because no matter how you slice it, if you can't put 10 T5 chips in each stack, you aren't any better off that the status quo. Even at that, the best option is 50 stacks of 10/6/4/3 for a T5200 starting stack, but it takes net new 500 chips instead of another solution that net new 200 chips. (100 T25 and 100 T100)

Last edited:
There are only 200 chips of T500 and T1000 in the set so you actually would be looking at 6/6/4/4/3 or actually 21,750. It's doable.
Hmm. Then I'm not sure. I don't like having 5Ks on the table, when nobody has more than 4 x 1K. You almost literally can't change a 5K.
I think OP needs more chips!

This is a much better idea than what I had.

I think I'm going to go hybrid. @Frogzilla has the best idea to utilize what I have with @JustinInMN timely suggestion of the cheap emergency fill in.

20x 8/3/5/7/2
5x 8/3/5/2/3
13x 8/8/6/6/2
12X 8/8/6/6/2 (W/ 100 Green/T25 Super Diamonds that I just ordered)

I think there needs to be a reasonable amount of T25/Green for the first few rounds. Given the crew playing I think enough will bust out and the Super Diamonds will be gone after the first color up. I utilize the @Chris Manzoni ® color up method (single 5K chip/table) so I don't need any extra T100/black.

This just goes to show you, no matter how many chips you think would be the most you'd ever need, you'll need more.

I think I'm going to go hybrid. @Frogzilla has the best idea to utilize what I have with @JustinInMN timely suggestion of the cheap emergency fill in.

20x 8/3/5/7/2
5x 8/3/5/2/3
13x 8/8/6/6/2
12X 8/8/6/6/2 (W/ 100 Green/T25 Super Diamonds that I just ordered)

I think there needs to be a reasonable amount of T25/Green for the first few rounds. Given the crew playing I think enough will bust out and the Super Diamonds will be gone after the first color up. I utilize the @Chris Manzoni ® color up method (single 5K chip/table) so I don't need any extra T100/black.

This just goes to show you, no matter how many chips you think would be the most you'd ever need, you'll need more.

I think you should get the 100 black as well. My concern is that you have so many 8/3 stacks out there you will need to break T500 and T1000 chips for bets like 200 and 300 which will be common in the early levels, and there won't be sufficient black chips out there to accomplish this, putting more stress on the greens. Furthermore, after the first color up, even if using the @Chris Manzoni color up method (which I do prefer), it may become apparent you don't have enough of these chips to smoothly make change for blinds.

Not to mention it just makes the setup a perfect 50 x 8/8/6/6/2 for everyone.

I used to do this for my big tournaments before I realized I just needd bigger sets.

Pick more experienced player to have the short T25 and T100 stacks as they will understand it doesn't matter (same starting stack and better at making bets sizes that work)

Inexperienced players tend to get confused by having less number of chips. They think they got shorted. Lol

Da fuq?

Current set up here:

View attachment 1138816
How’d it go?

I got 200 Super Diamonds to fill out the set. Man I forgot how much I hate them. I believe they are made completely of oil. They can not be stacked for shit.

As it happened there were slightly less than 50, but still needed the extra chips. I will say the 8 chip breakdown for both low denoms is barely workable with so many newbies. They play so weak, limping every time, calling every time, that change making is constant from the get go. At this volume of chips it’s kind of demanded but as far as practical play it’s not ideal. 12 stacks would be much preferred.

I’m ordering more of my Cards Mold to make the set 6 table safe.

as far as how the night went down, I’ll post in the other thread about tournaments mechanics since this is really, just about chips

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom