Tourney Would T2k chips among T1k:s and T5k:s tilt you? (1 Viewer)

Using T2k chips for the on-time bonus in a tourney with a 25/100/500/1k/5k progression is:

• ...the chip breakdown equivalent of someone scraping their nails across a chalkboard.

Votes: 43 87.8%
  • ...not a problem at all, you're overthinking this!

Votes: 6 12.2%

• Total voters

Mr Winberg

Full House
Reaction score
I have chips for both 25/100/500/1000/5000 and 25/100/500/2000/10000. My starting stacks cover 25 players before I need to adjust. My on-time bonus is usually 10%, so for a T20k tourney that's 2k. If we're close to 25 players in a tourney using the 25/100/500/1k/5k progression, I thought I might give out a single T2k chip as bonus instead of 2×T1k to avoid changing the starting stacks.

Is this stupid and tilting? There'd only be a handful on the felt.... but is that a handful too many?

I'm not a fan of adding unnecessary denoms in a tourney. It has too much potential for player confusion.

Also, the inefficiency does tilt me a bit, but that's personal preference and not nearly as relevant IMO.

I have chips for both 25/100/500/1000/5000 and 25/100/500/2000/10000. My starting stacks cover 25 players before I need to adjust. My on-time bonus is usually 10%, so for a T20k tourney that's 2k. If we're close to 25 players in a tourney using the 25/100/500/1k/5k progression, I thought I might give out a single T2k chip as bonus instead of 2×T1k to avoid changing the starting stacks.

Is this stupid and tilting? There'd only be a handful on the felt.... but is that a handful too many?

I would prefer changing the starting stack over introducing the T2k. If it was a case of not having enough chips then I would probably be ok with using the T5k, but if you can avoid it I would.

There'd only be a handful on the felt.... but is that a handful too many?

giphy.gif

But why do currency pieces, in the civilised world, run 1-2-5-10, from cents to dimes to units to hundreds?:p:LOL: :laugh:
(OK, just teasing):D

I don't understand - giving out 2x1k is a problem because it changes the starting stacks but giving out 1x2k is not? How does giving out 1x2k not change the starting stack? I'm confused!

Oh... unless you don't have enough 1k - then there is an easy solution - BUY MORE CHIPPIES!!!

But why do currency pieces, in the civilised world, run 1-2-5-10, from cents to dimes to units to hundreds?:p:LOL: :laugh:

Because the currency people are wrong!

And yes, I am curious the motivation of the question here along with @Darson . It really doesn't strike me as difficult to pluck two chips instead of one out of the bank to add the bonus. Is a "token" thing to display who has the on time bonus to show off?

Because the currency people are wrong!

And yes, I am curious the motivation of the question here along with @Darson . It really doesn't strike me as difficult to pluck two chips instead of one out of the bank to add the bonus. Is a "token" thing to display who has the on time bonus to show off?
Probably people like 1-headed figures. Still, no explanation for the 2-headed figures.:)

I don't understand - giving out 2x1k is a problem because it changes the starting stacks but giving out 1x2k is not? How does giving out 1x2k not change the starting stack? I'm confused!
And yes, I am curious the motivation of the question here along with @Darson . It really doesn't strike me as difficult to pluck two chips instead of one out of the bank to add the bonus.
Fair questions, my OP could have been clearer! It's not that the bonus itself changes the stack or is hard to "pluck". It's about keeping the desired pre-bonus starting stacks.

With 25 players I can use my preferred starting stacks breakdown if I don't hand out on-time bonuses. With on-time bonuses of 2k (10%) if need to reduce the number of T1000 chips in the stacks in order to facilitate the bonuses. If I instead hand out a single T2k to each early bird, I can keep my desired starting stacks (but also, as the results suggest, embarrass myself in the scrub donkey community).

there is an easy solution - BUY MORE CHIPPIES!!!
I am not going to disagree with this :D

With 25 players I can use my preferred starting stacks breakdown if I don't hand out on-time bonuses. With on-time bonuses of 2k (10%) if need to reduce the number of T1000 chips in the stacks in order to facilitate the bonuses. If I instead hand out a single T2k to each early bird, I can keep my desired starting stacks (but also, as the results suggest, embarrass myself in the scrub donkey community).

Got it so @Darson has the right answer.

Oh... unless you don't have enough 1k - then there is an easy solution - BUY MORE CHIPPIES!!!

The biggest reason for me is more denoms in play means longer to count all ins and increased chance of stack confusion. I would really stick with 1ks if you can either by buying more chips or reducing starting stacks. Another alternative is to substitute in some 5K chips in the bonus stacks only.

If you really are set on doing this or find yourself in a pinch I would suggest only giving out T2k chips at the start, and coloring them all out for T5k chips at the first break, but honestly, i don't think that is any more effort than just doing a 1*5K for 3*1K swap at the start for paying the bonus out either.

Technical we've got $2 bills in the US, but they never really caught on and are rarely seen in circulation.

I like the idea of getting rid of small bills and going to $1 and $2 coins like they have done in Canada. Unfortunately, most Americans seem to think the idea is loonie toonie.

Why did we arrive at having a $500 chip and a $1,000 chip instead of following the 4x/5x multiple. I honestly don't know.

If you really are set on doing this

Not really. I got the idea yesterday and thought I'd ask the might PCF oracle before trying it. It doesn't look like I'll be giving this a go anymore...
SmartSelect_20200129-062606_Chrome.jpg

Oh, and I was definitely asking for a friend, so... :whistle: :whistling:

Did I miss the starting stack breakdown somewhere?
No, I didn't post it as I didn't think it was that relevant and didn't want it to influence the poll too much. I wanted to know what people thought about breaking the "progression rule" for bonuses regardless of my particular breakdown.

Why did we arrive at having a $500 chip and a $1,000 chip instead of following the 4x/5x multiple. I honestly don't know.
My best guess is that it is more natural for us humans. We count in multitudes of units, where 100 and 1000 are examples of units, e.g. 7 hundred or 7 thousand. The denom of T1000 fits better with this than T2000. When using the T2k there's that extra step of dividing by two (which I'm not saying is hard, but it's still an extra step). That's my guess, for what it's worth...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom